Gun Control

2 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

And people are still being murdered.  Lives lost.  Doing something did nothing.   Because the wrong thing was done.

Again, the type of weapon is worse, for you, than the body counts and number of occurrences people are dying from; a tool at the hands of the mentally and morally depraved.    

And when you cite it's happening more, tell me how moral baselines are progressing, and then why we're seeing more shooting occurrences through this progress.  No corollary of the two?  Coincidence? 

That's the quiet part.  In three years, with all the heat-seeking, time-traveling, bullets taxed to oblivion and bad tools in museum cases, you're then talking about handgun bans when the broken mental health system continues to miss the root and progressive politicians focus on inanimate objects.

Like an AR, the word progressivism isn't inherently bad.  Its root isn't bad.  Let's progress.  The divergence is...towards what?  And then, greater divergence - how?

The progressive agenda is what is under scrutiny.  What you call good, many many others do not.   This is where we can go into lazy misnomers "So you're good with people being slaughtered?"  Of course not.   We diverge on the progressive agenda of what "good" looks like and how we get there.  

I get it. This is utterly pointless... We can't do anything about mental health because the same people who don't want to do anything about guns threw a s#!t fit at the first attempt to improve healthcare and mental health the first go round. BUT that's moot. Show me where the US is anymore mentally ill than the rest of the developed world that doesn't have these problems.

How many more mental gymnastics do you want to go through? There's very clearly a problem with a specific type of weapon that lends it's self to the absolute worse outcomes, but you want to do a little Kansas city shuffle. Pointing at some other things that are bad, and when someone address all the issue you continue on with the charade and pivot to your schtick of taking away your freedom to defend yourself against some unseen threat, at some unforseen time, by some legislation that was never proposed in the first place. And you wonder why nothing changes.

• Plus1 2

50 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I get it. This is utterly pointless... We can't do anything about mental health because the same people who don't want to do anything about guns threw a s#!t fit at the first attempt to improve healthcare and mental health the first go round. BUT that's moot. Show me where the US is anymore mentally ill than the rest of the developed world that doesn't have these problems.

How many more mental gymnastics do you want to go through? There's very clearly a problem with a specific type of weapon that lends it's self to the absolute worse outcomes, but you want to do a little Kansas city shuffle. Pointing at some other things that are bad, and when someone address all the issue you continue on with the charade and pivot to your schtick of taking away your freedom to defend yourself against some unseen threat, at some unforseen time, by some legislation that was never proposed in the first place. And you wonder why nothing changes.

Mental Health is key.  We agree now.  What was proposed that was canned?  I'm all for reform here.  And I'd be willing to hear more from Enhance on some suggested reform.  

The US has a CULTURAL issue the other countries do not have, or many don't.  Where are the most shootings taking place?  What is being used in the shootings?  What policies are in place to continue to propagate the cultural challenge seemingly exclusive to the US?  And show me a country with similar, or more significant cultural issues, and I'll show you a country with higher violent crime rates.  The US doesn't stand on the world's podium there...

I don't see the gymnastics.  What are the most gun-violent areas in the country?  What is used in those crimes?  What are some commonalities of those areas?  What are the policies in these common areas that should change?  

Your qualifier "absolute worse" lends itself to focus on an AR now that bazookas are gone.  Is six people dead, nationwide, from an AR, in a 30 day window worse than 50 occurrences of 1-2 deaths in each situation, in that same time period?  They're both TERRIBLE.  

Gun policies have changed and become more restrictive in many places.  It's curbed nothing when related to violent crimes in those areas.   Let's do the right thing for the right problem.  America has a cultural problem and needs policy + mental health overhaul.  

The data points us to the places, means, and occurrence rates of the problems.  What does it say?  If the end state is saving lives, let's get out of the hypothetical on what could happen.  What is happening?  

What could happen is people ranting about "Kill all gays and eradicate all Christians" could act out.  Should we round them all up until deemed clear and safe?  What if we round up 100's a day at the chance to catch the one?  Most are just inconvenienced to varied degrees, but we pre-empted a killer from acting.  I don't agree with this approach, but isn't it problematically plausible?

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Mental Health is key.  We agree now.  What was proposed that was canned?  I'm all for reform here.  And I'd be willing to hear more from Enhance on some suggested reform.  

The US has a CULTURAL issue the other countries do not have, or many don't.  Where are the most shootings taking place?  What is being used in the shootings?  What policies are in place to continue to propagate the cultural challenge seemingly exclusive to the US?  And show me a country with similar, or more significant cultural issues, and I'll show you a country with higher violent crime rates.  The US doesn't stand on the world's podium there...

I don't see the gymnastics.  What are the most gun-violent areas in the country?  What is used in those crimes?  What are some commonalities of those areas?  What are the policies in these common areas that should change?  

Your qualifier "absolute worse" lends itself to focus on an AR now that bazookas are gone.  Is six people dead, nationwide, from an AR, in a 30 day window worse than 50 occurrences of 1-2 deaths in each situation, in that same time period?  They're both TERRIBLE.  

Gun policies have changed and become more restrictive in many places.  It's curbed nothing when related to violent crimes in those areas.   Let's do the right thing for the right problem.  America has a cultural problem and needs policy + mental health overhaul.  

The data points us to the places, means, and occurrence rates of the problems.  What does it say?  If the end state is saving lives, let's get out of the hypothetical on what could happen.  What is happening?  

What could happen is people ranting about "Kill all gays and eradicate all Christians" could act out.  Should we round them all up until deemed clear and safe?  What if we round up 100's a day at the chance to catch the one?  Most are just inconvenienced to varied degrees, but we pre-empted a killer from acting.  I don't agree with this approach, but isn't it problematically plausible?

Just for you're awareness I'm done conversing with you. You're tiresome and annoying because you're unable to focus on a single point of discussion, and only see your view as the correct one. If ever you look in the mirror you may find some reasoning as to why we have so many problems in this country.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Just for you're awareness I'm done conversing with you. You're tiresome and annoying because you're unable to focus on a single point of discussion, and only see your view as the correct one. If ever you look in the mirror you may find some reasoning as to why we have so many problems in this country.

Emotion or data.  Qualifiers (absolute worst) give you the guardrails to keep to your narrative.   Most often, from where, using what, what propagates - irrelevant questions?  

• Plus1 1

My tone-deaf US Senator responds to my phone conversation with a staff member and my email to his office.  Typical boilerplate response.  

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns regarding gun control. As your Senator, I give full consideration to the concerns of the Oklahomans I am honored to serve in Washington

After numerous tragic mass shootings, there have been several renewed calls for gun control legislation. These acts of evil have no place in our country and no American should ever have to live in fear of attending school, a concert, or any type of public event.

Like many Oklahomans, I believe that defending the Second Amendment is crucial to ensuring that our rights and freedoms are protected. I believe that every American has the constitutional right to own firearms for recreational and self-defense purposes. Our founding fathers understood the importance of protecting the people's rights to own firearms, and we must not allow these rights to be taken away.

I will oppose any legislation that restricts the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. We should remember that the tragic deaths at the hands of unlawful criminals and terrorists are villainous acts, and there is zero tolerance in our country for any harm committed against another. Those responsible for evil should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Restricting the rights of lawful gun owners will not prevent mass violence. Instead of legislating away the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun owners, we should focus on the root causes of firearm deaths by enforcing our rule of law and addressing the mental health crises in America. I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should any relevant legislation be brought to the Senate floor.

I encourage you to sign up for my weekly emails at mullin.senate.gov/newslettersignup to receive updates on federal issues that impact Oklahomans.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. It's an incredible honor and privilege to serve the communities and families I grew up and worked with my entire life. God bless!

Sincerely,
MWM_Formal_Signature.png
  Markwayne Mullin
  United States Senator

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

My tone-deaf US Senator responds to my phone conversation with a staff member and my email to his office.  Typical boilerplate response.  

Could've shown more contempt for the root of the issue - the people who kill other people.   He chose a different road on that front.

• Plus1 1

turns out it was a swatting call at OU.   fortunately no one was killed....but it was a massive drain of community resources responding to it and i imagine traumatic for all the students,.  hope they catch whoever the sick fock was that called it in.