DT Masry Mapieu [Louisiana Lafayette - Signed LOI]

Mavric

Sounds like he will not be signing on Wednesday.  While he's still on track to qualify, it isn't a sure thing and if he signs he counts toward the class numbers even if he doesn't qualify.  So the staff wants him to wait and sign in February.

Mapieu still has every intention of being a Husker.

53 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like he will not be signing on Wednesday.  While he's still on track to qualify, it isn't a sure thing and if he signs he counts toward the class numbers even if he doesn't qualify.  So the staff wants him to wait and sign in February.

Mapieu still has every intention of being a Husker.

Sounds like he has quite a few schools are in his ear still so hopefully he can get the job done in the classroom and be here where he wants to be.

Man oh man, I remember lots of discussion about this guy.  All the risks.  I recall on various posts about the opportunities for DT's to look at.  Even Bryson Williams was a possible backup (a backup plan ... kinda makes me laugh) plan.  Mapieu was a possible option on the OL.  I recall we had a guy from MO (Trevor Trout ?), Avery,  Williams, there were 3-4 other guys as well.  

All I remember was "we seemed set" on this guy.  He was the guy.  Now that I find out that we only prepared 5 OL for each game ... it all makes sense that the previous staff had "one guy" that fit their eye.  Thus, I'm gonna be really frustrated is this guy is a whiff.  This guy was suppose to be some stud that we just could not pass on ... all kinds of potential.

I've always felt that for both the OL and DL that we were/are in a world of hurt and need to solidify depth and quality.  With the risk of the guy, it seemed we should have secured more guys early on at both OL and DL.  We now know we missed out on Bryson Williams (DT) and who knows what happens really with this guy.

Moving forward, I know Frost and staff will see these mistakes and learn from the lessons of the previous staff.  I know so little about about recruiting ... and yet, this one recruiting situation always bothered me.  Hope it turns out better then it is in my mind.

PS.  Bonus points that the guy will count against our recruiting numbers even if he doesn't qualify.  :-(  Ya, they will make him wait it sounds like.

Edited by BigRedN
  • Plus1 1

10 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Man oh man, I remember lots of discussion about this guy.  All the risks.  I recall on various posts about the opportunities for DT's to look at.  Even Bryson Williams was a possible backup (a backup plan ... kinda makes me laugh) plan.  Mapieu was a possible option on the OL.  I recall we had a guy from MO (Trevor Trout ?), Avery,  Williams, there were 3-4 other guys as well.  

All I remember was "we seemed set" on this guy.  He was the guy.  Now that I find out that we only prepared 5 OL for each game ... it all makes sense that the previous staff had "one guy" that fit their eye.  Thus, I'm gonna be really frustrated is this guy is a whiff.  This guy was suppose to be some stud that we just could not pass on ... all kinds of potential.

I've always felt that for both the OL and DL that we were/are in a world of hurt and need to solidify depth and quality.  With the risk of the guy, it seemed we should have secured more guys early on at both OL and DL.  We now know we missed out on Bryson Williams (DT) and who knows what happens really with this guy.

Moving forward, I know Frost and staff will see these mistakes and learn from the lessons of the previous staff.  I know so little about about recruiting ... and yet, this one recruiting situation always bothered me.  Hope it turns out better then it is in my mind.

PS.  Bonus points that the guy will count against our recruiting numbers even if he doesn't qualify.  :-(  Ya, they will make him wait it sounds like.

Good points here.  With Mapieu being an in state kid, you gotta pull the trigger and hope he gets his classwork in order.  No way you can risk slow playing him and having him turning out to be a stud at Iowa or some other school.  I'll never understand why they didn't pursue Williams as well for nothing else but additional D-Line depth.  You can never, ever, ever have enough quality D-Lineman.

14 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Good points here.  With Mapieu being an in state kid, you gotta pull the trigger and hope he gets his classwork in order.  No way you can risk slow playing him and having him turning out to be a stud at Iowa or some other school.  I'll never understand why they didn't pursue Williams as well for nothing else but additional D-Line depth.  You can never, ever, ever have enough quality D-Lineman.

Agreed.  There was absolutely no reason to not pursue Williams as well.  

FWIW,  masry is a good kid and I don't see any way he would have gone out of state.  He has huge upside but he's going to need a couple of years in the S&C program before he is a difference maker.   Glenn does a really good job developing kids at York  but don't mistake masry for a 5 star immediate impact type of guy.   He hasn't been playing football his whole life like some kids but has the frame and aggresiveness to be a really good player on either side of the line. 

22 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

Agreed.  There was absolutely no reason to not pursue Williams as well.  

FWIW,  masry is a good kid and I don't see any way he would have gone out of state.  He has huge upside but he's going to need a couple of years in the S&C program before he is a difference maker.   Glenn does a really good job developing kids at York  but don't mistake masry for a 5 star immediate impact type of guy.   He hasn't been playing football his whole life like some kids but has the frame and aggresiveness to be a really good player on either side of the line. 

Don't worry, I don't think anyone mistook him for a 5 star. You're good. 

On 12/19/2017 at 11:32 AM, Mavric said:

Sounds like he's got a ways to go yet.  Taking four online classes, has to get the grades this semester and next semester and still needs an ACT score.

I know that it has been said by others but wow.  When I hear stuff like this, I am completely flabbergasted regarding the previous staff's handling of in-state defensive line recruiting.  

He will be Juco bound...I mentioned the grade issues from the moment we offered and things havent changed.  My boss's son was his tutor last year and things havent changed much.  My boss is also neighbors with Snodgrass. It really sucks because this kid has SO much potential.  

21 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

He will be Juco bound...I mentioned the grade issues from the moment we offered and things havent changed.  My boss's son was his tutor last year and things havent changed much.  My boss is also neighbors with Snodgrass. It really sucks because this kid has SO much potential.  

Are you from York? 

• Mavric changed the title to DT Masry Mapieu [Louisiana Lafayette - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric unpinned this topic