The 2016 Republican National Convention

Only caught snips of the overall activities but based on what I heard:

I've lost all respect that I once had for guiliani.

The general saying we can't be a country that deals in hyperbole on the heels of saying we are more unsafe than every as a country was a distasteful irony.

The strong arm tactics in putting down the floor call were typical of a trump campaign and disturbing.

Trumps wife gave a nice, but unmoving, speech. I don't care if it was plagiarized or not. Many speeches are. Hell, they probably hired the same speech writer. I just found it to be so bland that it was basically forgettable.

This isn't my Republican Party any more.

It's true, you can deny it all you want. The attacks are growing each day.

it is clear the dems will grab hold of anything they can find. Trying to create an issue out of the speech she gave is beyond petty.

The irony. :D

• Fire 3

it is clear the dems will grab hold of anything they can find. Trying to create an issue out of the speech she gave is beyond petty.

Were we as a country attacked yesterday, the day before that? I must have missed those in the news cycle.

I am now absolutely convinced this whole Trump for President thing was a ploy to alienate republican voters and to help Hillary get elected. I just don't think they anticipated it being so difficult to shed R voters. They have to go back into their dressing room after these deals and say "there, that should finally do it" only to be flabbergasted in the next few days that it didn't do it. It is the only explanation I have for the reason it seems to get more unbelievable every day. They obviously didn't count on so many being so accepting of any lack of resemblance to an actual political campaign or of any actual plan. All we have heard is rhetoric (same for Hillary btw) but throw in all the egotistical bash everybody bullsh#t and all you're left with is somebody who doesn't really want to be president and, short of killing a baby on live TV, must be wondering what will it take to get out of this and make sure Hillary gets elected.

I believe that is a testament to how bad of a candidate Hillary is and how disillusioned and gullible so many are in the R party. All they know is they want something different, and it's hard to blame them for that but damn, come on people and wake up. Trump is either the worst candidate ever or he is purposely trying to throw this thing. It's incredible.

I'm sure I'll be attacked for being some sort of liberal lover. I can assure you, and many here know better, there is nothing further from the truth. I can't stand Hillary either. I will be voting for Gary Johnson and I really don't like a good portion of his platform. It is going to be a very long 4 years no matter what happens. I despise Obama but at this point I think I would settle for 4 more (with the same belligerent congress of course). Something really needs to change.

• Fire 1

Nice deflection

deflection from what? Some lady giving a speech that has parts that are exactly the same as a speech another person gave? Oh the horror of it all.

I am now absolutely convinced this whole Trump for President thing was a ploy to alienate republican voters and to help Hillary get elected.

Sadly, this isn't even that far out of a theory.

But Trump has serious supporters, including on this board. That's how he captured the Republican nomination. I don't think it's a stretch to say he wants to be President, and that he had the savvy to know or the ego to think he could capture popular appeal.

Increasing I look at some of these people -- public figures or not -- and wonder if they're from the same planet I'm from. But they are. And that, strange as it is, is reality.

• Fire 1

Nice deflection

deflection from what? Some lady giving a speech that has parts that are exactly the same as a speech another person gave? Oh the horror of it all.

If it's not a big deal argue it's not a big deal instead of deflecting. No one's forgotten about Clinton. It's okay to be annoyed/upset by/amused by multiple things at the same time.

I find the Melania Trump thing funny but not a big deal.

I am now absolutely convinced this whole Trump for President thing was a ploy to alienate republican voters and to help Hillary get elected.

Sadly, this isn't even that far out of a theory.

But Trump has serious supporters, including on this board. That's how he captured the Republican nomination. I don't think it's a stretch to say he wants to be President, and that he had the savvy to know or the ego to think he could capture popular appeal.

Increasing I look at some of these people -- public figures or not -- and wonder if they're from the same planet I'm from. But they are. And that, strange as it is, is reality.

I think it's all one big Candid Camera show.

Nice deflection

Deflection from what happened.

No one said it was a horror. But she deserves some crap for it. But instead of the GOP/Conservatives owning up to it, they deny it happened. Show where it's happened before, which has zero basis. And now blames Democrats/Liberals for making it in to something.

It was FUNNY!! Just f'ing embrace it. It would have been a non story by now if they would have just owned up to it. But denying it makes them look just as stupid as everyone has been talking about for the last several months.

• Fire 1

The fact that it happened is at least a medium-size deal. It appears to be the latest in a long line of evidence that the Trump operation isn't being very competently run. And their insistence that she would write this speech herself shows the worth of the Trump campaign's standards for honesty and their eagerness for claiming credit where it isn't due.

It's quite possible that some now-fired speechwriter is tossing one back and laughing hysterically about how he got a rickroll in there. Even then, how do you get sabotaged this easily?

But the more concerning half of it is their response. They have no clue, or at least they'd like all their supporters to have no clue. It could have been walked back, but given the opportunity to own up and be open about it, they slammed the door. This will be an administration incapable of introspection, immune to admitting fault, and quick to aggressively double down and blame "the enemy" in the face of critique. Again, that's all been well-demonstrated, so the fact that another example was added should not be shocking. Neither should it be brushed aside.

We see this behavior all the time around the world. Usually the central character is someone like Kim Jong Un, though.

I am now absolutely convinced this whole Trump for President thing was a ploy to alienate republican voters and to help Hillary get elected. I just don't think they anticipated it being so difficult to shed R voters. They have to go back into their dressing room after these deals and say "there, that should finally do it" only to be flabbergasted in the next few days that it didn't do it. It is the only explanation I have for the reason it seems to get more unbelievable every day. They obviously didn't count on so many being so accepting of any lack of resemblance to an actual political campaign or of any actual plan. All we have heard is rhetoric (same for Hillary btw) but throw in all the egotistical bash everybody bullsh#t and all you're left with is somebody who doesn't really want to be president and, short of killing a baby on live TV, must be wondering what will it take to get out of this and make sure Hillary gets elected.

I believe that is a testament to how bad of a candidate Hillary is and how disillusioned and gullible so many are in the R party. All they know is they want something different, and it's hard to blame them for that but damn, come on people and wake up. Trump is either the worst candidate ever or he is purposely trying to throw this thing. It's incredible.

I'm sure I'll be attacked for being some sort of liberal lover. I can assure you, and many here know better, there is nothing further from the truth. I can't stand Hillary either. I will be voting for Gary Johnson and I really don't like a good portion of his platform. It is going to be a very long 4 years no matter what happens. I despise Obama but at this point I think I would settle for 4 more (with the same belligerent congress of course). Something really needs to change.

You know the way this election is going - Trump could stumble across the finish line a winner as the other candidate keeps tripping herself up. However, I hope Trump regains some good sense and says for the sake of the country - I'll step aside and let VP Pence take it from here.