A man you can bait with a Tweet

Venal versus systemic corruption

This is how Vladimir Putin governs Russia, and how the Mubarak/Sisi regime rules Egypt. To be a successful businessman in a systemically corrupt regime and to be a close supporter of the regime are one and the same thing.

(...)

As Tyler Cowen wrote several months ago, “If there were a President who wished to pursue vendettas, the regulatory state would be the most direct and simplest way for him or her to do so. The usual presumption of ‘innocent until proven guilty’ does not hold in many regulatory matters, nor are there always the usual protections of due process.”

(...)

Trump is not going to crush the free media in one fell swoop. But big corporate media does face enough regulatory matters that even a single exemplary case would suffice to induce large-scale self-censorship. AT&T, for example, is currently seeking permission from antitrust authorities to buy Time Warner — permission that Time Warner executives might plausible fear is contingent on Trump believing that CNN has covered him “fairly.” A Federal Trade Commission investigation charging Amazon with predatory pricing would be viewed favorably by many competing retailers, but would also be seen in other quarters as Trump making good on his promise to punish Jeff Bezos for critical coverage in the Washington Post.

Installing a vindictive man as head of state seems to have been a rather poor idea.

Wow. Look how much good he's done already, just from the TT. Meanwhile, the company confirmed it had never planned to move.

I am expecting the news each morning for the next 4 years to make me nauseous and angry. He's such a little man. A lying, little man. I bet if he had gone to public school he would have eaten lunch alone and been beat up while he waited for the bus. Maybe that's the problem, he's never been beaten up for running his mouth in a bar or for teasing someone.

Even Fox is calling him out on it

The Ford Motor Company said late Thursday that it would continue producing its Lincoln MKC SUV at a plant in Kentucky after President-elect Donald Trump incorrectly implied in a tweet that the plant had been close to moving to Mexico.

Trump said that Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford had called him with the news "that he will be keeping the Lincoln plant in Kentucky - no Mexico."

In a second tweet, Trump said that he had "worked hard with Bill Ford to keep the Lincoln plant in Kentucky. I owed it to the great state of Kentucky for their confidence in me!"

Ford had planned to move the Lincoln MKC out of an assembly factory in Louisville so it could make more Ford Escapes there. Despite the implication of Trump's tweet, Reuters reported that Ford cannot close any U.S. plant until 2019 at the earliest under the terms of its collective bargaining agreement with the United Automobile Workers union (UAW).

Even Fox is calling him out on it

The Ford Motor Company said late Thursday that it would continue producing its Lincoln MKC SUV at a plant in Kentucky after President-elect Donald Trump incorrectly implied in a tweet that the plant had been close to moving to Mexico.

Trump said that Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford had called him with the news "that he will be keeping the Lincoln plant in Kentucky - no Mexico."

In a second tweet, Trump said that he had "worked hard with Bill Ford to keep the Lincoln plant in Kentucky. I owed it to the great state of Kentucky for their confidence in me!"

Ford had planned to move the Lincoln MKC out of an assembly factory in Louisville so it could make more Ford Escapes there. Despite the implication of Trump's tweet, Reuters reported that Ford cannot close any U.S. plant until 2019 at the earliest under the terms of its collective bargaining agreement with the United Automobile Workers union (UAW).

What a pathetic little man. I can see it now. In the 2020 election, he will be bragging about how he kept Ford from closing any plants in the US.

Ummmm.....they were required to keep them open long before this guy got into office.

Hopefully by 2020 the nation realizes or cares that the guy lies like a rug.

Buckle up for four years of spin about how GreatTM he's been making America again though.

I wouldn't count on that. They didn't care during the election.

Right. To be more accurate:

Hopefully more of the nation, situated in the right states, cares. Or finds some other reason to oust this guy.