Pre-Season Coaches Poll Released

Does anyone really care about preseason polls?

Not really, and especially not the Coaches or AP polls, since neither are relevant to the Championship anymore.

So you're saying that no one should care about any poll... including the ones done here because they are not relevant the championship ?

The only poll that anyone should care about is the Football Playoff Poll. Is that what you're saying ?

Preseason polls really don't matter. Would it be nice to be rated? Yes, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a difference.

So I would like to suggest...

When Devaney and TO were coaching we had the respect and admiration of the football world and the coaching world. I know... I know... there were some things bad said about us but on the whole we were admired by the football world, the coaching community and football fans of other teams.

But when TO retired... everyting changed... instantly. It was literaly like the football world, including the coaching profession saw us as pariah's.

And we've never gotten the respect back. We've had extreme difficulty hiring coaches... we get no respect even from up and coming coaches who are known by the coaching community... but they are never referred to us for coaching jobs.

The reason I hear all the time in real in person conversations with fans from other teams is that we appear to have an arrogant attitude... one of superiority... which we no longer are. We still hear Nebraska claiming that we "make" coaches... even though it should be obvious to us we don't do that. We habitually claim every year that "we are back"... but it's an empty boast.

I've always felt that we need to get humble... to show some humility. Admit that we are just a football program with loyal fans that want to play great ball again. We need humility...not arrogance.

Until that happens I don't think we will ever regain the respect of the football world. We need to show the football world that we are just regular, real people... and we need to ditch all the superiority crap.

I know we're friends now, and I really don't want to upset you, but there are a few things wrong with this post.

Nebraska did not become a pariah when Osborne retired. If anything, the glory years of 94 - 97 made us a pariah in the world of college football. Respected on the field, of course, but considered tainted by many outsiders for our rash of criminal enabling and by others who thought the timing of Osborne's retirement was aimed at wooing sentimental voters away from the '97 Michigan team ranked ahead of us. I'm not debating our worthiness of that NC, just stating the perception of the college football world. Just for context, Alabama's recent success and arrogance have made them the current pariah.

Things didn't change instantly when Osborne retired. Frank Solich had a blip of a transitional year, then had Nebraska right back in relevance with three consecutive high-ranked seasons that Tom Osborne would have been proud to own. The fact that Nebraska was selected for the NC game in 2001 after LOSING its own conference championship suggests Nebraska was perhaps coasting on too much respect in the college football world.

I have never in my life heard anyone brag that Nebraska is famous for "making" coaches. 2003 was the first real job opening at HC in 40 years, and that was the wake-up call that Nebraska wasn't every coach's dream destination. In fact, I honestly don't recall much bragging at all since then. There's been plenty of humility since Callahan, but on the other hand I don't see any need to get on bended knee to the Iowa's or even the Michigan's of the world.

We say "we're back!' in that hopeful way every year because that's what fans do, and for several seasons the college football press agreed with us, and some seasons we came tauntingly close to relevance.

After awhile, we were no longer automatic choices for the Top 25 because we simply hadn't earned it. So on that we agree.

But your posts are a pretty strange mix of decrying arrogance and then demanding it.

Also, you don't seem to understand the actual history of Nebraska football and the definition of entertainment.

But I'm glad we're friends.

We didn't lose the conference championship. Colorado smoked us in our last conference game and they won the north.

• Fire 1

So I would like to suggest...

When Devaney and TO were coaching we had the respect and admiration of the football world and the coaching world. I know... I know... there were some things bad said about us but on the whole we were admired by the football world, the coaching community and football fans of other teams.

But when TO retired... everyting changed... instantly. It was literaly like the football world, including the coaching profession saw us as pariah's.

And we've never gotten the respect back. We've had extreme difficulty hiring coaches... we get no respect even from up and coming coaches who are known by the coaching community... but they are never referred to us for coaching jobs.

The reason I hear all the time in real in person conversations with fans from other teams is that we appear to have an arrogant attitude... one of superiority... which we no longer are. We still hear Nebraska claiming that we "make" coaches... even though it should be obvious to us we don't do that. We habitually claim every year that "we are back"... but it's an empty boast.

I've always felt that we need to get humble... to show some humility. Admit that we are just a football program with loyal fans that want to play great ball again. We need humility...not arrogance.

Until that happens I don't think we will ever regain the respect of the football world. We need to show the football world that we are just regular, real people... and we need to ditch all the superiority crap.

I know we're friends now, and I really don't want to upset you, but there are a few things wrong with this post.

Nebraska did not become a pariah when Osborne retired. If anything, the glory years of 94 - 97 made us a pariah in the world of college football. Respected on the field, of course, but considered tainted by many outsiders for our rash of criminal enabling and by others who thought the timing of Osborne's retirement was aimed at wooing sentimental voters away from the '97 Michigan team ranked ahead of us. I'm not debating our worthiness of that NC, just stating the perception of the college football world. Just for context, Alabama's recent success and arrogance have made them the current pariah.

Things didn't change instantly when Osborne retired. Frank Solich had a blip of a transitional year, then had Nebraska right back in relevance with three consecutive high-ranked seasons that Tom Osborne would have been proud to own. The fact that Nebraska was selected for the NC game in 2001 after LOSING its own conference championship suggests Nebraska was perhaps coasting on too much respect in the college football world.

I have never in my life heard anyone brag that Nebraska is famous for "making" coaches. 2003 was the first real job opening at HC in 40 years, and that was the wake-up call that Nebraska wasn't every coach's dream destination. In fact, I honestly don't recall much bragging at all since then. There's been plenty of humility since Callahan, but on the other hand I don't see any need to get on bended knee to the Iowa's or even the Michigan's of the world.

We say "we're back!' in that hopeful way every year because that's what fans do, and for several seasons the college football press agreed with us, and some seasons we came tauntingly close to relevance.

After awhile, we were no longer automatic choices for the Top 25 because we simply hadn't earned it. So on that we agree.

But your posts are a pretty strange mix of decrying arrogance and then demanding it.

Also, you don't seem to understand the actual history of Nebraska football and the definition of entertainment.

But I'm glad we're friends.

We didn't lose the conference championship. Colorado smoked us in our last conference game and they won the north.

Right. Which is even worse. Point remaining, we didn't win our own conference and were allowed to play for the National Championship.

At the same time many were declaring Eric Crouch among the weakest Heisman Trophy winners ever.

If Nebraska was ever a pariah in the college football world, that was the week.

I've never heard anyone say that "we make coaches", and I can't really recall anyone saying "we're back" for years either.

I've never heard that either and I've been a Husker fan for 50+ years now.

I remember Bo Pelini saying "we're back" and I thought we might be also when he said it, but when Bo didn't deliver, that whole thing went away.

I am optimistic as you all should know if you bother to read my posts. I know many of you don't as you don't agree with my sentiments on much of anything. I am not concerned about that as I expect that over time the truth will come out and we'll all know who was more right than wrong about many things.

I think being mentioned in a poll after finishing last year 6-7 is actually a recognition by the coaches that Nebraska still has some weight and consideration. I suspect we are not yet on anybody's short list for homecoming opponents - maybe a couple at the top but not many. It is also likely that there are about a dozen teams ranked ahead of us in this poll that would be preferred opponents for many teams over the Huskers as easier to defeat. We played top 25 football in the bowl game in my view and also played top 25 grade football for maybe 1/3rd of the other quarters during the year. We will find ourselves ranked respectably by game 5 IF we win those games.

I am optimistic as you all should know if you bother to read my posts. I know many of you don't as you don't agree with my sentiments on much of anything. I am not concerned about that as I expect that over time the truth will come out and we'll all know who was more right than wrong about many things.

I think being mentioned in a poll after finishing last year 6-7 is actually a recognition by the coaches that Nebraska still has some weight and consideration. I suspect we are not yet on anybody's short list for homecoming opponents - maybe a couple at the top but not many. It is also likely that there are about a dozen teams ranked ahead of us in this poll that would be preferred opponents for many teams over the Huskers as easier to defeat. We played top 25 football in the bowl game in my view and also played top 25 grade football for maybe 1/3rd of the other quarters during the year. We will find ourselves ranked respectably by game 5 IF we win those games.

I don't think you are going out on a limb with that prediction of a top 25 ranking since it would include Oregon, but staying there for any length of time would seem unlikely. And with all that I shudder to think we would be giddy to get in the top 25

"yee haw"

• Fire 1

I don't think you are going out on a limb with that prediction of a top 25 ranking since it would include Oregon, but staying there for any length of time would seem unlikely. And with all that I shudder to think we would be giddy to get in the top 25

"yee haw"

there are some posters that are enjoying the huskers not being ranked. it gives them a lot to bitch about. yee haw!!!

"yee haw"

there are some posters that are enjoying the huskers not being ranked. it gives them a lot to bitch about. yee haw!!!

Enjoying that , are you kidding! But for us fans that were around when we competed at the highest level and were ranked in the top 10 quite often (and I don't mean in the 90s', this is a bitter pill to swallow. For those that have never experienced it, I can see where you have a more (meh) attitude.

• Fire 1