WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

2 weeks without pay equates to $15,000 on Williams' new contract.

I figured some type of suspension was inevitable, but it seems like it is punishing the players and the team more than Williams.

2 weeks without pay equates to $15,000 on Williams' new contract.

I figured some type of suspension was inevitable, but it seems like it is punishing the players and the team more than Williams.

Disciplining an individual that is part of a team is always going to punish the team as well. I don't see a way around it.

it can be used as a lesson. Like Bo Pelini, in his finest moments as coach at Nebraska, explained after the 2011 Penn st. game. The game shouldntve been played. Does it "punish the players"? Well sure. But that's still gotta be seen as the point. Education. As a coach, you never let of the gas in terms of teaching. Everything that happens, good and bad, needs to be used as a teachable offense. That's the case here. And, if youre truly promoting team concept, win as a team lose as a team, and coaches are part of a team. Sometimes the opportunity to educate young 20 year old men who are playing a game at a level that seemingly puts them on top of the world trumps this mythical right to play.

4 games. Plus community service type stuff. Suspension without pay for two weeks. Pretty light in my opinion.

I agree. Being it was his 3rd. With a fender bender. While hosting a 5 star WR, I expected the suspension to be for the season.

4 games and only missing 2 weeks of pay is very light. I thought at the bare minimum it should be 6 games and all w/o pay.

edit: Sorry I just saw this same idea posted above.

Am I wrong in thinking that suspending a coach seems to do more damage to the rest of the team than to the actual coach. Is it possible to just suspend his pay? I don't know if that's even possible, but it seems like just as firm of a punishment to let him coach but take away his pay for the length of the suspension. Now the other coaches have to take away from their position groups and recruits to cover for him. Maybe I'm just putting football above everything else, but this seems to be a punishment on everyone and not just the coach.

Everything that happens, good and bad, needs to be used as a teachable offense. That's the case here. And, if youre truly promoting team concept, win as a team lose as a team, and coaches are part of a team. Sometimes the opportunity to educate young 20 year old men who are playing a game at a level that seemingly puts them on top of the world trumps this mythical right to play.

I guess I don't understand what the 4 game suspension is actually teaching. The guy will be getting paid to not coach the team.

• Fire 1

4 games. Plus community service type stuff. Suspension without pay for two weeks. Pretty light in my opinion.

I agree. Being it was his 3rd. With a fender bender. While hosting a 5 star WR, I expected the suspension to be for the season.

Lets be honest - who was in town ("hosting a 5 star") has zero to do with this. Would it have mattered less if it was a 3 star? If he had been out with his wife? I hate that people keep bringing up Lewis with this. It has no place.

Lets be honest - who was in town ("hosting a 5 star") has zero to do with this. Would it have mattered less if it was a 3 star? If he had been out with his wife? I hate that people keep bringing up Lewis with this. It has no place.

I don't think they are specifically pointing out Lewis as much as the fact that he was hosting a recruit this weekend. And that does matter considering how many times you hear a player/recruit call a coach their father figure.

No it wouldn't have mattered. I was just referring to the fact that he was hosting a very high profile player that happens to play the position he coaches.

Everything that happens, good and bad, needs to be used as a teachable offense. That's the case here. And, if youre truly promoting team concept, win as a team lose as a team, and coaches are part of a team. Sometimes the opportunity to educate young 20 year old men who are playing a game at a level that seemingly puts them on top of the world trumps this mythical right to play.

I guess I don't understand what the 4 game suspension is actually teaching. The guy will be getting paid to not coach the team.

Sounds like he will be coaching during the week, just not on game days. He is ultimately measured on in-game performance and recruiting and won't be able to contribute when it matters most for the first month. Given how big the first three games will be for visits this seems like a good way to effect punishment while hurting current players in a minimal fashion.

This particular instance, yeah, the 2 game without pay, 4 games not coaching is rather odd. I'm trying to figure out the point to that. my point is on the general thought of the coach being suspended and that punishing the team more than him. And I just dont really see it that way.

I don't think they are specifically pointing out Lewis as much as the fact that he was hosting a recruit this weekend. And that does matter considering how many times you hear a player/recruit call a coach their father figure.

I agree on the father figure comment, for sure. But IMO the damage is done regardless of if the kid is in town or at his home.