WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

He has made poor decisions at least 3 times.

He snuck out the back door and did not face the consequences of his actions.

He should have walked out the front door, admitted he had a problem and would do his best to make things right.

To me that is an epic fail.

You can make mistakes, maybe not three, but owning up to them and facing them are just as important.

I realize he is ashamed of what he has done, but he should be. We support our coaches, as we should, and he does owe us an explanation for his actions.

I will stand by what Coach Riley does, but I truly feel he should be fired and it should happen immediately. 3 times being caught driving under the influence is 3 too many. And it would suggest he is very unlucky and caught every time, or there are a whole lot more times that he lucked out.

I am so tired of everyone having to have an excuse for their actions. I have never seen a bottle, or glass grab anyone and wrestle them to the ground forcing themselves on the individual. You choose to take the drink, the drug, pull the trigger, what ever. Mommy spanking you too much, daddy calling you names or the bully down the street did not do it. You did. Take responsibility, don't sneak out the back door. Own your actions.

If he is not fired, we will catch a little hell over it, but it is not that big of a story.

As to experience on this matter, grew up with alcoholic parents and two step fathers that were.

Lost my little brother to a drunk driver, that spent a whole three days in jail. I have very definite feelings about drinking and driving

• Fire 2

At least we know now that to some fans it only takes 4 DUI's or higher for them to think you should then get canned as a Nebraska football coach. Good to know.

200_s.gif

Tom Osborne hid a players gun in his desk that was discharged on the streets of Lincoln and did not get fired. Good for you to know.

• Fire 1

At least we know now that to some fans it only takes 4 DUI's or higher for them to think you should then get canned as a Nebraska football coach. Good to know.

200_s.gif

Tom Osborne hid a players gun in his desk that was discharged on the streets of Lincoln and did not get fired. Good for you to know.

0b33d3c83a28e766fc084b0ec5c5d45991548cbb

200_s.gif

Except that actually happened.

• Fire 1

200_s.gif

I'm well aware of the story but to bring TO into this???!!!!!!

I think the detractors or people who feel that Wiliams should be let go understand the liability he is now and especially if he has another run in with police due to alcohol and how that could come back to bite the program in the ass in a majorly bad way. I have nothing against Williams so for me it's simply not wanting to the the program's image to be ruined because of giving someone who's already had multiple chances due to being caught driving drunk 3 times possibly screwing up yet once again. Is it worth it?????

Also as many people have stated in another thread what message are you sending by letting this guy serve as a leader of young men at a place like the University of Nebraska? It's nothing personal so for me anyway I'm very concerned about how this could backfire. Let him get his help. That goes without saying but the liability and putting the image of the football program at stake for one position coach is in no way worth it imo.

The whole "Nebraska way" begets bringing up TO and LP.

You can't talk handling it the "Nebraska way", like the program's always acted in morality's besthe interest, like Nebraska holds some moral high ground over other major college programs. Because Nebraska doesn't, and they never have.

Eh, maybe, maybe not. We're not as perfect as we like to think but that doesn't necessarily mean we're on the same level as a lot of other schools either.

200_s.gif

I'm well aware of the story but to bring TO into this???!!!!!!

I think the detractors or people who feel that Wiliams should be let go understand the liability he is now and especially if he has another run in with police due to alcohol and how that could come back to bite the program in the ass in a majorly bad way. I have nothing against Williams so for me it's simply not wanting to the the program's image to be ruined because of giving someone who's already had multiple chances due to being caught driving drunk 3 times possibly screwing up yet once again. Is it worth it?????

Also as many people have stated in another thread what message are you sending by letting this guy serve as a leader of young men at a place like the University of Nebraska? It's nothing personal so for me anyway I'm very concerned about how this could backfire. Let him get his help. That goes without saying but the liability and putting the image of the football program at stake for one position coach is in no way worth it imo.

This is where I'm at as well. Williams was right there with Bray as my favorite on the staff but I just don't see how the Powers That Be would be able to sign off on the risk.

• Fire 1

The whole "Nebraska way" begets bringing up TO and LP.

You can't talk handling it the "Nebraska way", like the program's always acted in morality's besthe interest, like Nebraska holds some moral high ground over other major college programs. Because Nebraska doesn't, and they never have.

Eh, maybe, maybe not. We're not as perfect as we like to think but that doesn't necessarily mean we're on the same level as a lot of other schools either.

No, and I don't mean to imply we're as bad as other schools (Baylor). But I think we need to address this false perception that Nebraska has always done the right thing.

Bo had a wife beater on his staff, I never saw the out pouring of hate toward him. What if he had killed her right before the bowl game? Would that have left a stain on our image?? Nobody is perfect in this life. A little fender bender nearly 10 years after his last offense does not need to get him discarded for someone else that likely has skeletons in their closet.

This is easily fixable. Riley suspends him for a few months to send a message to him and the players that nobody is above the rules and the AD redoes his contract to stipulate NO Alcohol consumption for the remainder of the time he is employed by the University, or it is automatic dismissal.

He's an assistant coach. And a ton of momentum from WR recruiting. If he isn't being charged as a felony then it's easier on the university.

It stinks to say this but this is the world we live in. Those in high profile areas tend to have more lenient punishment.

Whatever the university and staff decide to do I will support them. Just hope there is some sort of rehab or an agreement that he will never let the devil's nectar touch his lips

Not making light of anything. DUI is very serious business. I am sure that several things have gone into decisions to date:

NU knew of the previous DUI's and took a chance. OR investigated enough to determine that it wasn't a concern/risky proposition to hire.

The felony was dropped to a misdemeanor.

No one knows what what said to Williams from the AD and HC (maybe they said to not speak to press, maybe his lawyer did as well).

No one knows if a suspension is coming.

Regardless of his past issues (which NU knew of) this is his first at NU.

Perhaps NU sees there is a drinking problem and feel he would be better served being kept on staff and getting treatment. One might even say they are trying to develop character and help.

There might be policies/liabilities that prohibit NU from speaking more on the matter.

Let's get all of the facts. Maybe even wait for due process to work to see if he is convicted. Its kinda of a big deal. The whole due process thing....

• Fire 1

200_s.gif

This has been discussed already. Like page 6 ithink k?thnx.bye.