WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

Reading all of these responses, with so many defending the man and creating excuses for his behavior and utter recklessness, it makes me wonder if being a Nebraska fan is all that different from being a fan in the SEC. I'm seeing a lot of strange rationing and excuse-making that isn't normally associated with Nebraska. If this is the so-called "Nebraska way," I think everyone needs to re-examine what exactly the "Nebraska way" is.

There's a difference between defending Williams and not wanting to drag him through the mud

KW has 3 DUIs in the span of 12 years with the last one coming 8 years ago. I don't think that necessarily makes him an alcoholic, more like someone that has made piss poor decisions.

I agree. Having a substance abuse problem is a different issue than driving drunk. I have great sympathy for those battling substance abuse, but I do not understand why people drive impaired. It is too easy to get a ride home.

Well, imagine you're out downtown enjoying a few drinks when all of a sudden it's bar close. You rationalize you can't get home that easily, your car is parked nearby and you don't want to get a ticket or be towed, and you're "fine" and really didn't have that much to drink.

Next thing you know, you're behind the wheel.

I'm not excusing the behavior - far from it, in fact. Driving while impaired is one of the most selfish things people can do. But, the rationalization for why people choose to drive drunk really isn't any different than the thought process people use to do any number of stupid things. The stakes for driving while impaired are just that much higher.

The most recent statistics I saw were that someone is injured in a drunk driving related crash every two minutes across the country. Many people just don't view drunk driving as a serious offense, which is sad.

Reading all of these responses, with so many defending the man and creating excuses for his behavior and utter recklessness, it makes me wonder if being a Nebraska fan is all that different from being a fan in the SEC. I'm seeing a lot of strange rationing and excuse-making that isn't normally associated with Nebraska. If this is the so-called "Nebraska way," I think everyone needs to re-examine what exactly the "Nebraska way" is.

Noone here knows the full history, you are only speculating. Yes, he made a bad mistake, but if the guy needs help get him help. This incident in no way puts us close to the SEC and paying to play. Also, the University is not hiding wrong doings like Sandusky. Please let this play out and let the University handle this. What the guy needs is support!

KW has 3 DUIs in the span of 12 years with the last one coming 8 years ago. I don't think that necessarily makes him an alcoholic, more like someone that has made piss poor decisions.

I agree. Having a substance abuse problem is a different issue than driving drunk. I have great sympathy for those battling substance abuse, but I do not understand why people drive impaired. It is too easy to get a ride home.

Well, imagine you're out downtown enjoying a few drinks when all of a sudden it's bar close. You rationalize you can't get home that easily, your car is parked nearby and you don't want to get a ticket or be towed, and you're "fine" and really didn't have that much to drink.

Next thing you know, you're behind the wheel.

I'm not excusing the behavior - far from it, in fact. Driving while impaired is one of the most selfish things people can do. But, the rationalization for why people choose to drive drunk really isn't any different than the thought process people use to do any number of stupid things. The stakes for driving while impaired are just that much higher.

The most recent statistics I saw were that someone is injured in a drunk driving related crash every two minutes across the country. Many people just don't view drunk driving as a serious offense, which is sad.

I think it's also important to note that as you drink your decision making abilities start getting worse. I don't think many people think at the start of the night oh I should get drunk and drive. It's more of a "oh well that isn't so bad" situation. Combine that with someone who has low levels of response to alcohol (they subjectively feel less impaired) and they think oh yeah I can do this.

No one is defending Williams. There hasn't been one post that i have read that says this was no big deal, or that it should be business as usual.

I haven't read a single post condoning his behavior either. Instead, people are discussing their thoughts on the definition of alcoholic and whether Williams is an alcoholic or if has made poor life choices which have led to multiple duis. Nothing in that discussion is condoning or making excuses for Williams.

• Fire 3

Yep. 100% spot on.

• Fire 1

Yep. 100% spot on.

Nope. 100% inaccurate

• Fire 8

No one is defending Williams. There hasn't been one post that i have read that says this was no big deal, or that it should be business as usual.

I haven't read a single post condoning his behavior either. Instead, people are discussing their thoughts on the definition of alcoholic and whether Williams is an alcoholic or if has made poor life choices which have led to multiple duis. Nothing in that discussion is condoning or making excuses for Williams.

I agree that no one is condoning it.

But a lot of people are trying to mitigate it.

I wonder whether if Hank Hughes had been caught with a third DUI in November of last year he would have received the same defense from the same people.

To me, that's the question of "are we becoming (or already are) an SECesque fanbase."

I don't think anyone seriously questions whether TO would have handled a fourth string RB the same way he handled Phillips, which is why even if you don't agree with the decision, you could respect his approach.

I do wonder whether this administration would handle each situation the same. I say administration because I don't think Riley has (or maybe even should have) the final day in whether this is a firable offense.

I wonder whether if Hank Hughes had been caught with a third DUI in November of last year he would have received the same defense from the same people.

To me, that's the question of "are we becoming (or already are) an SECesque fanbase."

I don't think anyone seriously questions whether TO would have handled a fourth string RB the same way he handled Phillips, which is why even if you don't agree with the decision, you could respect his approach.

I do wonder whether this administration would handle each situation the same. I say administration because I don't think Riley has (or maybe even should have) the final day in whether this is a firable offense.

My opinion is the same that it is not a fireable offense. Hughes needed to be let go for a whole plethora of other reasons.

And I do not respect any decision TO made regarding LP that year. Not one.

And people need to let go of this high and mighty "we don't want to be the SEC" bullsh#t.

• Fire 4

For me, this has nothing to do with football.

I personally don't believe a person's life and livelihood should be ruined because they made a mistake. Punished by the law? yes. Reprimanded at work? Yes, if they are in a position that it somehow affects the employer.

Now, if the the legal punishment makes it impossible or highly unlikely to be effective at work, or if they realize the drinking is affecting his ability to do his job...then...fine.....fire his ass.

But, I am not for just flat out firing someone because they have a DUI. All that does is spiral that person into a deeper hole.

• Fire 3

Yep. 100% spot on.

Yep. 100% inaccurate

Fixed.

• Fire 1

Yep. 100% spot on.

Yep. 100% inaccurate

Fixed.

Wrong.

Yep. 100% spot on.

Yep. 100% inaccurate

Fixed.

Only people who can't read think that someone is defending the coach.