Derrion Grim leaving

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/769200637267484672

What "cautionary tale" of early enrollees is Sam talking about? Am I forgetting a history of early enrollees busting at Nebraska?

I hear what you're saying and don't know how that plays out for Nebraska specifically, but seems like in the last 12 months this concern/caution about early enrollees is the new over analyzed phenomenon to dissect.

What "cautionary tale" of early enrollees is Sam talking about? Am I forgetting a history of early enrollees busting at Nebraska?

Curt Dukes? That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. So... Not many

Mary Tyler Moore would be another

But Moore actually played a whole season. Dukes was here for a whole redshirted season as well. Grim's been here not even 8 months. I'm with you guys though. Trying to figure out Sams angle here. Maybe he's talking about the concept of early enrollees in general and the possible going-wrongs that come with it?

Curt Dukes? That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. So... Not many

Mary Tyler Moore would be another

But Moore actually played a whole season. Dukes was here for a whole redshirted season as well. Grim's been here not even 8 months. I'm with you guys though. Trying to figure out Sams angle here. Maybe he's talking about the concept of early enrollees in general and the possible going-wrongs that come with it?

Yeah, I have no idea what being an early enrollee has to do with it. Other than being around for a few more practices than guys that show up in June.

There is one interesting dynamic that was brought up on radio today. About being an early enrollee and "fitting in" from a social standpoint because you pretty much come in alone. Youre not really with the class ahead of you and youre not really with the class coming, even though technically you are. these are things that play a factor in a kids mind and heart the differentiates real life from the robots of a video game. Theres a lot more too it than just not being happy with scheme or playing time.

If this were a real thing, couldn't we identify a number of early enrollees who have had trouble fitting in? It seems like an offseason talking point more than a real thing.

There is one interesting dynamic that was brought up on radio today. About being an early enrollee and "fitting in" from a social standpoint because you pretty much come in alone. Youre not really with the class ahead of you and youre not really with the class coming, even though technically you are. these are things that play a factor in a kids mind and heart the differentiates real life from the robots of a video game. Theres a lot more too it than just not being happy with scheme or playing time.

If this were a real thing, couldn't we identify a number of early enrollees who have had trouble fitting in? It seems like an offseason talking point more than a real thing.

it's not brought up as a certainty. Just a possibility. And not necessarily the only reason, but part of the issue. I see it as a possibility.

fwiw: Despite its sunny California location, Stockton is an aesthetic and cultural wasteland compared to Lincoln, Nebraska

Tru dat.

I recall an article in Forbes a few years ago that ranked Stockton as the most miserable city in the US. That town is stuck in my mind cuz i remember when we played them (UP...or PU as we called them) in 94/95. They admittedly took the games just for the money (those were good scrimages for us), but they still shuttered their football program the following year.