Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

It's almost like you CAN keep running the ball, even if it doesn't work right away.

That might be that 230 lb back slamming into you for 3 quarters and you get tired of fighting against it and start arm tackling.

That has something to do with it but a lot of it is those 300 pounders on the Pipeline knocking you over rather than setting up on their heels.

It's almost like you CAN keep running the ball, even if it doesn't work right away.

That might be that 230 lb back slamming into you for 3 quarters and you get tired of fighting against it and start arm tackling.

That has something to do with it but a lot of it is those 300 pounders on the Pipeline knocking you over rather than setting up on their heels.

I agree with that as well! I am excited for our running game to really start humming once that line gets more reps together and really gels.

Newby got hurt...was pulled early.

Averaged 7.0 YPC.

Debate isn't over

I am repeating myself here, but I think injuries will decide this as much as anything else...unfortunately. We need both of them to rotate to be able to pound people like I think we would want to do.

No doubt.

I just hate smug people who state "the debate is over" when it truly effing isn't. We need every player on this team to be healthy and functional. It's evident we do. How about we get on the Nebraska bandwagon and stop hopping on the Ozigbo or Newby bandwagon?

Are you going to be the first to jump off the Newby bandwagon?

This discussion isnt quite over yet. Though Ozigbo is really starting to take hold because he's consistently showing the ability to wiggle on top of his thumper style. He's making it really hard to take him off the field. He's giving us the best chance to break tendancy and predictability. But Newby ran well the times he was in Saturday. So this isnt so much about what Newby isnt doing, but rather what Oz is. But at some poing there's gonna be a game where our Oline is not the better, and the interior run game is not getting it done, and we need to do more on the edge. This will be the game where Newby will rush 18 times for 110 yards and have 6 catches for 50 and a couple td's. It's gonna happen at some point.

Dont forget Tommy's improvement in the pass game and what that's gonna do for the run game going forward. He did it on the big stage satruday. DCs will be taking notice from here on out.

His TD run in the 3rd, two defenders literally just bounced off him at the goal line. I tweeted that saying "big boy stuff goin on in LNK right now"

• Fire 1

I think at this point the discussion is no longer why do so many of us prefer Ozigbo over Newby, but rather what the hell does Blitzfirst have against Ozigbo?

I have nothing against Ozigbo. I just think both backs complement each other with different running styles. We haven't really given Newby a good chance yet...and I'm not sure why.

Oz is a good power back. He's slower than any back we have on roster, but he's definitely more powerful than any of them and he has great hands. I think that the 'thunder and lightning' approach can be quite successful...but thus far, the coaches have been running our lightning back with thunder plays. It's pretty amazing that Newby, who wasn't good after contact last year, is running the way he is...because he's night and day different this year.

So my arguing for Newby to get more carries does not equal me saying Ozigbo is a bad back or sucks.

I can get behind this

That's perfectly acceptable. I disagree that he hasn't been given an opportunity though. He's been here forever, and while he may be the best he's ever been, but the coaches see something more in Ozogbo than they do Newby.

And we are 3-0 using a main RB approach opposed to the ugly last season that saw the committee approach.

I am Ozigbo fan for sure but I will admit that Newby has shown more in his time this fall than at any time previously. I think Zig has had enough carries and is such a serious threat that opponents are really focusing on him. He is almost unstoppable when the line makes a small/medium dent in the defensive front and he turns a two yard inside run into 4 or 5. Those are chain movers and truly wear down the defense both physically and maybe more so mentally. Nothing is more frustrating and demoralizing to a team than to watch as the opponent simply runs right over you, over and over and over again, and really nothing you can do about but take the beating! This is the ultimate offensive machine and in my view the truly ideal offense for football. If you simply overpower and dominate the line of scrimmage, the 3.6 yards per carry do become 5.5 by the 4th quarter and the touchdowns pile up.

I really would like to see Newby be able to turn the corner and be able to pick up 5 or 6 on the sweeps and pitch plays outside. For whatever reason, we are not able to run wide. I think our perimeter blocking is pretty decent. It may be that Newby is pretty quick and has good speed but not game breaking, 4.3 speed to get to the corner and turn up field. You have to be able to win the foot race to the sideline and turn up field before you run out of room. None of our RBs seem to show this kind of speed. Newby is kind of a all purpose RB but he lacks one superb skill to flash brightly.

That's perfectly acceptable. I disagree that he hasn't been given an opportunity though. He's been here forever, and while he may be the best he's ever been, but the coaches see something more in Ozogbo than they do Newby.

And we are 3-0 using a main RB approach opposed to the ugly last season that saw the committee approach.

Hasn't been given a chance THIS YEAR. I'm not talking about year 1 or the Pelini years.

I'm sure there is a reason his carries have been rather limited. Maybe he isn't 100% or maybe he doesn't have a good week of practice. Either way, Ozigbo is doing a bang up job and we aren't struggling to pound the rock.

Consider this a good problem.

• Fire 1