Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

Newby definitely has the speed to break the long runs like he did today, it's just a matter of finding the hole. Sometimes I feel like he gets too antsy and doesn't wait for the blocking to set up.

I think a lot of that has to do with the flow of the game. We saw today, the longer he was in there getting the workload, the better he was. Abdullah said Newby was going to be great. While I don't think Newby has played as good as we all would have hoped, I think today showed things may have been different if he were to get as many carries as Abdullah did. He may have been our feature back if Bo and Beck were still around. I think we'd all be speaking different if that were the case.

I may be wrong though; it's happened once or twice.

That said, I still prefer Ozigbo. I like what Wilbon's shown in flashes, but his ball handling could use some work. I'm excited to see Bryant in the future. I think he's going to be playing on Sundays.

After last game ,Newby is the clear leader.

He had a good, tough series and a big run but Ozigbo was injured. I'd say they're still even.

Really the only reason Ozigbo is still "better" or even "even" to people is because they like the way he runs. And it is fun to watch him get a couple extra yards with how hard he runs.

But Newby has more yards on 17 fewer carries (22% fewer carries than Ozigbo). His YPC is 1.3 higher than Ozigbo's. He has several runs longer than Ozigbo's longest run. Ozigbo still only has one game all season where his YPC is higher than Newby's worst YPC game.

Ozigbo is a good back and definitely has a role on the team. But Newby is much more productive.

• Fire 1

He had a good, tough series and a big run but Ozigbo was injured. I'd say they're still even.

Really the only reason Ozigbo is still "better" or even "even" to people is because they like the way he runs. And it is fun to watch him get a couple extra yards with how hard he runs.

But Newby has more yards on 17 fewer carries (22% fewer carries than Ozigbo). His YPC is 1.3 higher than Ozigbo's. He has several runs longer than Ozigbo's longest run. Ozigbo still only has one game all season where his YPC is higher than Newby's worst YPC game.

Ozigbo is a good back and definitely has a role on the team. But Newby is much more productive.

I don't have a strong opinion on this whole thing. I can't remember if I posted in the thread before this. Ozigbo hasn't broken away as much as Newby and Newby doesn't get as many tough yards.

I think the people who were saying Ozigbo is clearly better were also silly.

I don't see it so much as stats but as mental toughness and purpose. He seems to have taken on a leadership role while the others are more followers or part-timers.

​So many players just do what they're told.....I think he's taking responsibility for the outcome.

here you go again bringing facts into the discussion

YPC are important - however moving the chains is what leads to points. I would take a guy that can turn 2 into 4 everytime over a guy that can turn 7 into 20. You will score everytime in the first senerio and maybe not in the second.

This is why it's really hard to compare the two. Neither of them is enough head and shoulders above the other in any of the categories that we can ignore the things like you mentioned.

Again, they're both good. Neither is amazing, neither is obviously better than the other. Also, Ozigbo's YPC are low due in part to the Wyoming game. Is that because of their defensive philosophy... Or was it because we ran him a lot and he's not as good? Newby isn't enough better than him for us to ignore these questions.

Back when people were insisting Newby sucked and Ozigbo was way better, I felt this exact same way. I never agreed with that notion.

YPC are important - however moving the chains is what leads to points. I would take a guy that can turn 2 into 4 everytime over a guy that can turn 7 into 20. You will score everytime in the first senerio and maybe not in the second.

This is why it's really hard to compare the two. Neither of them is enough head and shoulders above the other in any of the categories that we can ignore the things like you mentioned.

Again, they're both good. Neither is amazing, neither is obviously better than the other. Also, Ozigbo's YPC are low due in part to the Wyoming game. Is that because of their defensive philosophy... Or was it because we ran him a lot and he's not as good? Newby isn't enough better than him for us to ignore these questions.

Back when people were insisting Newby sucked and Ozigbo was way better, I felt this exact same way. I never agreed with that notion.

In another post somewhere, I said if I could only have one of these backs as an OC it would depend on what type of offense I was running on which one I would choose. They are both good.

• 2 weeks later...