Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

I'd like to see Ozigbo start because I would like for our gameplan to be pounding Oregon's defense into submission, and I believe Ozigbo is the back who best can do that (with a strong helping of the O-line, TEs, FBs and WRs). If the plan is to attack the edge then Newby is the better option. I'm fine with whoever the coaches decide best fits the plan.

I'd like to see them rotate the backs to keep them as fresh as possible.

I thought the statue of liberty to the tight end was an especially creative way to run the ball.

It is true that we do a better job on running plays not to the running backs. The QB sweeps and counters work well. And the couple times we've run some end arounds - Carter and Westy so far this year - are nice. We just don't run nearly as many of those plays.

I'd just like to see it be a bigger part of the offense and actually give the RBs a chance to do some work.

Despite Tommy not being hyper precise on screen passes, I think that's been the best way we've gotten our RBs to the edge and out in open space. It seems like we've tried that roughly as many times as we have stretch runs, and so far it's just worked better. So I think it's a little nitpicky to say we haven't given our runningbacks a chance in this regard. It just shows up on the receiving section of the stat sheet instead of the rushing section.

Personally I love the 4-yard runs up the middle. I equate it to the jab in boxing. It's not flashy, but it's what you lean on to set everything else up.

That and I'm just a big fan of smashmouth football.

• Fire 2

I thought the statue of liberty to the tight end was an especially creative way to run the ball.

It is true that we do a better job on running plays not to the running backs. The QB sweeps and counters work well. And the couple times we've run some end arounds - Carter and Westy so far this year - are nice. We just don't run nearly as many of those plays.

I'd just like to see it be a bigger part of the offense and actually give the RBs a chance to do some work.

Despite Tommy not being hyper precise on screen passes, I think that's been the best way we've gotten our RBs to the edge and out in open space. It seems like we've tried that roughly as many times as we have stretch runs, and so far it's just worked better. So I think it's a little nitpicky to say we haven't given our runningbacks a chance in this regard. It just shows up on the receiving section of the stat sheet instead of the rushing section.

Personally I love the 4-yard runs up the middle. I equate it to the jab in boxing. It's not flashy, but it's what you lean on to set everything else up.

That and I'm just a big fan of smashmouth football.

It was great to see us actually complete a couple screen passes last week. Looked much better than it has for years. Hopefully that continues. But I would prefer Newby to get those. He probably scores if he gets the one Ozigbo got.

If we can continue to get 4 ypc against Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa, I'm all for it. But I have my doubts.

I feel like RB in the past have done best when they get more touches. I would like to see one back per half. So give the ball to RB1 15 times in the first half and give the ball to RB2 15 times in the second half. Guys seem to get into a better flow if they touch it more frequently. Seems like a couple years ago Ameer said or somebody said about Ameer that the sweet spot was about 20-28 carries a game.

Was Newby dinged up again today? We didn't see much of him after he left. But he was running hard before that. He seems to be running with a lot more authority this year. It'll be great to get both of them a lot of touches.

We were humming along with Ozigbo with two second half scoring drives. Newby carries to start the next drive and we're behind the chains, killing the momentum we had.

I honestly do not know how anyone could think Newby should get more carries. Then again I thought that before the bowl game, after the bowl game, and after every game this season. So, I guess I'm missing something.

• Fire 2

Was Newby dinged up again today? We didn't see much of him after he left. But he was running hard before that. He seems to be running with a lot more authority this year. It'll be great to get both of them a lot of touches.

He came out and the announcers were talking about his ankle injury form last year. Went to the trainers table. I didn't see him after that. Prior to the injury, he was running like he had something to prove.

• Fire 3

Newby got hurt...was pulled early.

Averaged 7.0 YPC.

Debate isn't over

I am repeating myself here, but I think injuries will decide this as much as anything else...unfortunately. We need both of them to rotate to be able to pound people like I think we would want to do.

That and it would be awesome to have the We Backs again. :) Split their touches and keep them both fresh.