Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

Newby man. Talk about a guy who has really come full circle and made himself a really good back. A guy who has made the necessary changes, and done it in a pretty short period of time.

Yeah, it seems like he hits the hole faster and doesn't dance around as much. When he has a little blocking he's past the first line before the D knows what happened. Also, when he does need to juke he has as good of a lateral step as anyone we've had in recent memory. I'd say Newby is as good as Abdullah with that little sideways juke move.

Newby man. Talk about a guy who has really come full circle and made himself a really good back. A guy who has made the necessary changes, and done it in a pretty short period of time.

Yeah, it seems like he hits the hole faster and doesn't dance around as much. When he has a little blocking he's past the first line before the D knows what happened. Also, when he does need to juke he has as good of a lateral step as anyone we've had in recent memory. I'd say Newby is as good as Abdullah with that little sideways juke move.

The jump cut?

I was watching some highlites jsut last night of the past few games. his jump cut may be even more nasty than Ameer's. Esp in the hole. And Newby's ability to get skinny inthe hole is pretty damn good. he's making the most slightest of creases work for him.

I don't like using Newby for up-the-middle runs. With him on gut runs, he gains 2 or 3 yards if lucky. He should be used as an outside runner or a screen receiver, with Devine getting the middle runs.

Newby's strength is definitely the outside run, but you can't telegraph the play call just with who the I-back is. Also, Devine hasn't been healthy enough to play the past 2 weeks. Get him healthy and I am sure we will see more of Ozigbo in the power run game.

I don't like using Newby for up-the-middle runs. With him on gut runs, he gains 2 or 3 yards if lucky. He should be used as an outside runner or a screen receiver, with Devine getting the middle runs.

Newby's strength is definitely the outside run, but you can't telegraph the play call just with who the I-back is. Also, Devine hasn't been healthy enough to play the past 2 weeks. Get him healthy and I am sure we will see more of Ozigbo in the power run game.

^when we had this set up we were doing pretty good on offense with consistent time controlling drives. It made life really easy on the D.

If we don't get Ozigbo back for Wisconsin I think we are in trouble. The offense has become inconsistent and unable to sustain drives with the run since he went down.

We couldn't run the ball consistently against the leagues worst run defense and had to abandon the run for pass. Luckily Purdue was below average on the back end.

Wisconsin is good enough to deal with Tommy through the air, so we had better rediscover our toughness in the run game.

Honestly, I think the hesitation or "dance" is what helps Newby distinguish himself. Keep in mind the assigned "hole" often isn't there when an RB gets the ball. Hitting a dead end faster doesn't help anybody.

I've liked how Newby has popped outside or otherwise improvised on some of his carries. Maybe Ozigbo sticks with the assignment and plows forward for the necessary two yards, but let the faster, shiftier back look for his own opportunities.

I don't know if Ameer Abdullah or Marshawn Lynch gets any more yardage then Newby when an OL backpedals like it did Saturday.

Honestly, I think the hesitation or "dance" is what helps Newby distinguish himself. Keep in mind the assigned "hole" often isn't there when an RB gets the ball. Hitting a dead end faster doesn't help anybody.

I've liked how Newby has popped outside or otherwise improvised on some of his carries. Maybe Ozigbo sticks with the assignment and plows forward for the necessary two yards, but let the faster, shiftier back look for his own opportunities.

I don't know if Ameer Abdullah or Marshawn Lynch gets any more yardage then Newby when an OL backpedals like it did Saturday.

Plus, with NU's zone blocking scheme, there may not be a truly "assigned" hole. There is a general direction for the play, but Newby is able to get a cut back lane and make a bigger run out of it. The past couple of games, there hasn't been any running lanes open.

A lot of Newby's big runs have been up the middle where the hole is closed and then opens up for only a split second. He is good at making a side step and getting thru that hole quickly. So he can be effective - Devine's advantage is if there is contact in the hole he has a better chance to continue thru. As mentioned above you can't have two backs and always use one wide and one up the middle - defenses are too smart for that.

• 3 weeks later...