What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

Tommy actually seems to have improved a little bit with his touch on the passes into the flat and the I-Back screens.

There are a lot of weapons at our disposal against the Ducks. Our receivers are seriously so damn talented that I really like our play action deep balls this season.

Langsdorf is learning how to punish a defense for crowding the box. That 95ish yard drive showed that, and it was a thing of beauty.

I looked up the passing stats for the Super Bowl winners from 75 to 80 Elf and one of those teams ran it 70% of the time. So I'm not sure Nebraska was a pro style offense.

"Pro Style" at this point is more of a label of a particular style of offense, not a literal tie to what NFL teams do or don't do in their respective genres.

• Fire 1

-We learned that Tommy must have given the Wyoming qb a pep talk before halftime

-Our ST is bad and it could be a big factor next game

-ST needs someone helping Reid out cause he looks looks worse than 2013 Nebraska ST punt return unit

-Run defense is a strength and should help us next game

-The secondary cannot give up big plays next week

-Tommy looked good but needs to learn to throw the ball out of Memorial when any defender is blocking his view or when no one is open and he is getting pressured

-We need more runs than passes next week to beat Oregon, to wear them down and run clock

-The secondary is looking confident and that is only a good thing heading into this season

-Penalties might cost us a few games if we don't clean them up

-We learned that this coaching staff has a big emphasis on finishing games, this is the reason our team has exploded into the fourth quarter

Ans what are you bringing to the conversation Elf? I've been pretty consistent in my belief that running the ball is the best way to win games. My theory is backed up by 40 years of success here.

How many decades of success throwing the ball does there have to be before people start to understand its just as much a part of the game as running?

40 years of success running the ball? You do realize that isn't accurate? We were a pro-style team before we were a running team. And, get this! We won a pair of national championships and several Big-8 titles before we were a running team.

Before we won national titles as a running team, we played for several and lost. And we had some pretty ugly losses during those years because defenses could stack the box and keep it stacked. We just didn't always have a credible passing threat, not even in play action. (Keithen McCant, Mike Grant or Mickey Joseph anyone?)

I would agree that you can win games by running the ball, but thats where my agreement stops because it isn't the only way to win. Evidence of that is all around you in football at all levels, high school, college and pro teams have all succeeded passing the ball.

And, where did I make an excuse for the call?

"Pro style team" that ran it far far more than it threw it. Know your history: NU was always a run first, second and last team during its championship years.

And thanks for pointing out that even without a great QB, NU could win 10 games with the old system.

Now, we apparently have to have a great QB to expect 10 wins.

Good thing we have a great QB this year. If the coaches can remain disciplined and use him like he should be used rather than how they wish they could.

-We learned that this coaching staff has a big emphasis on finishing games, this is the reason our team has exploded into the fourth quarter

This has been under appreciated. It was a problem last year, one of our biggest. The coaches and players don't seem to be having it this year, we seem to get better as the game clock approaches 00:00

I disagree Guy . I believe you have to have a offensive identity. Something to hang your hat on. What exactly is Nebraska trying to be? My opinion. I'm sure you don't agree with it anymore than I agree with yours.

What is Alabama trying to be?

Defense based.

And as Saban has told Kitten many times, run oriented.

Games in the ooc against Alabama schedules are meaningless.

Against Wyoming:

Nebraska ran 43 times for 138 yards

Nebraska passed 35 times for 412 yards

Nebraska was 8 of 14 on Third Down Conversions

You'd never guess that -- or the final score -- from this thread.

I think some lose sight of the fact that you don't have to play well enough to beat Ohio State every week.

• Fire 1

I looked up the passing stats for the Super Bowl winners from 75 to 80 Elf and one of those teams ran it 70% of the time. So I'm not sure Nebraska was a pro style offense.

"Pro Style" at this point is more of a label of a particular style of offense, not a literal tie to what NFL teams do or don't do in their respective genres.

Thanks, a little late getting back to this one.