Hats off to TA

drfish

Tommy willed this team to victory. I thought the Huskers were hosed when he went down with the leg camps. What a tough competitor.

Now 42 of 77 for 685 yds and 7 TD's vs 1 INT (though you should almost count the backwards pass) NCAA rating 156.7 (drops from 174) NFL equation 109.5 comp % still only 54.5%. But, I think no Tommy, no win.

Just off the top of my head, that backwards pass was his worst decision of the day. He should have thrown it out of bounds because the running back wasn't going anywhere on that play with three defenders there.

Other than that, Tommy had a really good day imo.

That was a bad play design. Why the RB is running sideways so it has to be a backwards pass I have no clue. Yes, Tommy didn't make a good throw, but it was a bad play design and bad play call at that point in the game.

Tommy said after the game he didn't take his drop as far back as he has been taught because he wanted to get the ball out there fast because "they weren't covering him". If he would have, it would have been a forward pass. It wasn't a bad play design, it was bad execution. However, he admitted it and played like a champion. All players make mistakes, not all players carry a team like he did today.

I didn't like the call, I didn't like the throw and I didn't like Wilbon's effort to get to the ball.

TA was a bad ass today. TD run in the 4th quarter was 100% baller!

The throw hit Wilbon in the hands. It was a bit high but the RB has to catch that. Might be why Wilbon isn't seeing the field as much as some think he should.

As I said in another thread, Tommy Armstrong = warrior

Great effort and heroics to will the team to a win.

The guy makes me nervous every time he reaches back to throw, but after watching other quarterbacks around college football, I am happy to have this warrior on our team. I said it earlier today and the more I think about it I really believe this was Tommy's best performance as a Husker. The coaches seem to have a much better grasp on what he's capable of this season and it shows. That throw to Westerkamp on 4th and 9, and that beautiful fade TD pass before halftime were absolutely clutch. Looking forward to seeing more of this version of TA the rest of the season.

In the future, when I look back on Tommy Armstrong, this game will be the first to come to mind. Tommy had his best game today. He ran very well, made great decisions all game, and had the heart of a warrior. There have been times I've doubted you and wanted another QB, but everything considered you proved me wrong today.

I was going to say something very similar. TA did very good today. Played to his strengths, and fought to win every play.

Overall I'd grade his decision making an A- for the day. And that is the single biggest issue he has been criticized for.

If Tommy can keep playing like this we just might go to a really nice bowl game this year. Might even have a playoff spot.

Tommy willed this team to victory. I thought the Huskers were hosed when he went down with the leg camps. What a tough competitor.

Now 42 of 77 for 685 yds and 7 TD's vs 1 INT (though you should almost count the backwards pass) NCAA rating 156.7 (drops from 174) NFL equation 109.5 comp % still only 54.5%. But, I think no Tommy, no win.

Just off the top of my head, that backwards pass was his worst decision of the day. He should have thrown it out of bounds because the running back wasn't going anywhere on that play with three defenders there.

Other than that, Tommy had a really good day imo.

That was a bad play design. Why the RB is running sideways so it has to be a backwards pass I have no clue. Yes, Tommy didn't make a good throw, but it was a bad play design and bad play call at that point in the game.

Tommy said after the game he didn't take his drop as far back as he has been taught because he wanted to get the ball out there fast because "they weren't covering him". If he would have, it would have been a forward pass. It wasn't a bad play design, it was bad execution. However, he admitted it and played like a champion. All players make mistakes, not all players carry a team like he did today.

After re-watching the game, it looked like there was a little penetration on the edge that also made Wilbon take a little deeper path than he would have otherwise. I don't think the play design is for the throw to go backard.

Tommy gets too much hate. He has heart and he's a good quarterback. Every qb makes a few boneheaded mistakes (besides Lamar Jackson)

I don't think so. For a Senior, you want and expect this. TA should have been much better last year and for the number of reps and his experience he had fizzled when it seemed he should sizzle. To me, there is a difference between being a hater and expecting smart play at QB.

For me, this game is an example of what he can be and do. If he continues smarter play our ceiling goes much higher.

I think Tommy gets way too much criticism on individual plays during the game. NU fans want to focus on the things that Tommy isn't great at. I didn't see the game thread but I am sure fans were upset with Tommy at times. QB's, especially college QB's are going to make mistakes. I like to see how the entire game plays out before making overall conclusions on a game/player. Tommy played great against Oregon and he led NU to the win.

• Fire 1

I think Tommy gets way too much criticism on individual plays during the game. NU fans want to focus on the things that Tommy isn't great at. I didn't see the game thread but I am sure fans were upset with Tommy at times. QB's, especially college QB's are going to make mistakes. I like to see how the entire game plays out before making overall conclusions on a game/player. Tommy played great against Oregon and he led NU to the win.

Good post. I hope the tommy hate goes away. This kids pours his heart into the game and is the reason we won this game. He makes mistakes, true, but he also carries the team. He is a lot like Favre, gunslinger. He is going to throw picks, but he's also going to make awesome plays because of his risky game play

I don't think it's hate to say that TA is also prone to some costly, game-changing mistakes. One or two more breaks don't fall out way and we're talking about those instead.

Games that needn't be dogfights will end up dogfights. Games that shouldn't require last hour heroics will require last hour heroics. Fortunately Tommy is also capable of delivering on that, but we're going to encounter many more close games and won't see Nebraska win all of them.

Yesterday both teams had five scores, which usually results in overtime. TA delivered the decisive blows just as much as he did a -2 point swing that had Nebraska chasing the game. But I mean, what a throw at the end of the first half to Westerkamp. It's boom/bust.

• Fire 1