In Nebraska's last 6 games...

Saunders

Probably the stretch from 2009 to 2010 when NU went 15-2, with dominating wins over a 7th ranked team and a top 25 team, two other wins over top 25 teams and a close loss to a 3rd ranked team.

I think the UCLA and Oregon wins sound good based on name prestige, but neither of those teams were very good when we played them (sort of like Miami in 2014).

Personally, I don't think the term "turning a program" in a corner is very meaningful. Things change too much from year to year to have a statement implying that "we've arrived" make any sense. I thought the same thing back in 2009 when Bo made the declaration after the Arizona win.

They are actually both quite good.

Over last year and the beginning of this year, UCLA and Oregon have a combined win loss record of 21-11. We account for two of those losses.

I'll take that as they were good teams.

After seeing Oregon in person against UC Davis I was very underwelmed with Oregon. They definitely play to the level of their compitition. There defense and offense both looked a lot better against NU than they did against Davis or Virginia. I think they are a 8-4, 9-3 team this year. They play a lot of good teams this year, but I don't know if any of them are a sure loss.

Probably the stretch from 2009 to 2010 when NU went 15-2, with dominating wins over a 7th ranked team and a top 25 team, two other wins over top 25 teams and a close loss to a 3rd ranked team.

I think the UCLA and Oregon wins sound good based on name prestige, but neither of those teams were very good when we played them (sort of like Miami in 2014).

Personally, I don't think the term "turning a program" in a corner is very meaningful. Things change too much from year to year to have a statement implying that "we've arrived" make any sense. I thought the same thing back in 2009 when Bo made the declaration after the Arizona win.

They are actually both quite good.

Over last year and the beginning of this year, UCLA and Oregon have a combined win loss record of 21-11. We account for two of those losses.

I'll take that as they were good teams.

After seeing Oregon in person against UC Davis I was very underwelmed with Oregon. They definitely play to the level of their compitition. There defense and offense both looked a lot better against NU than they did against Davis or Virginia. I think they are a 8-4, 9-3 team this year. They play a lot of good teams this year, but I don't know if any of them are a sure loss.

Yeah, agreed. No way the Ducks end up below .500. Sure they'll drop a couple more games. But looking down their sched I'd say the worst they do is 8-4. But we'll know more in six days when they play Colorado. Believe it or not, CU is pretty stout this year.

Thanks, Bo.
  • Fire 5

Thanks, Bo.

Rare thing to witness here - I agree with cm.

We're on a good upswing, but we've got a long ways to go. The only part of this impressive by historical Nebraska standards was the MSU win, everything else is what we should be doing. Oregon still has sexy name recognition, but there's a good chance they don't finish ranked. UCLA was a lot like us vs Washington - they didn't want it nearly as much as we did and saw it as beneath them, to their detriment. Wins over Fresno and Wyoming are what they are, and the loss to Iowa...wait, I'm confused. Was Iowa a top 5 team or not? We can't credit them as that when it makes it sound good to us, and then talk about how they weren't that good when it makes them sound bad. One or the other, please.

I'm excited and pleased and happy about where we're at. But it's entirely too premature to have any kind of discussion about being 'back' or having turned a corner.

• Fire 2

We are not 'back' but perhaps we have made the U turn and are headed in the right general direction. Unfortunately, like the dumb and dumber guys, we drove all day and all night in the wrong direction before we realized it and stopped.

We will know it for sure when we have truly arrived back where we want to be - we will be a frequent and regular discussion subject on ESPN and of course BTN will be giving us about 1/14th of the air time (or so?) by then, assuming there is nothing more to be said about Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State! LOL

This season is how I expected last season to go, at least that's how I felt we were sold it as. Now, I understand last year's team had issues of pulling their heads out of their butts and being coachable - as well as coaches learning and calling a game to the team's strengths, so I feel like we're a year late on progress, but the trend is positive and 6 of the last 7 games have been fun to watch.

I still hold reservation and wait for the shoe to drop, but this team seems different, Tommy seems different too. Not just his performance, and I can't find the right words to express what I'm feeling, but his demeanor when handling interviews is different too. A good different. I think this will be a building block year to win ball games, become relevant in CCG dialogues, and compete for top recruits.

We aren't back yet, but we are much closer than we were 2 years ago. If we can play respectable against Ohio State and beat 2 of these 3 (Iowa, Wisc, NW) and win the rest - we will be sitting pretty well.

The recruiting class looks very good but it will take 2 years for meaningful contribution. I am much more optimistic than I was a year ago for sure. :restore2

We aren't back yet, but we are much closer than we were 2 years ago. If we can play respectable against Ohio State and beat 2 of these 3 (Iowa, Wisc, NW) and win the rest - we will be sitting pretty well.

The recruiting class looks very good but it will take 2 years for meaningful contribution. I am much more optimistic than I was a year ago for sure. :restore2

If NU loses to Northwestern, that's a bad, bad loss. I understand that games against Northwestern have been close since NU joined the Big Ten, but Northwestern is not a good team this year.

So, it's not so much that I think that Nebraska is "back" but on an upswing. It's fair to say NU was on an overall downward trend since the 2010 Big 12 CCG. The first half of last year was definitely rock bottom of that era, and judging by everything post-Purdue, it's reasonable to say we're on the upswing.

How far that goes depends on the staff and players, but it's safe to say things are looking up again for the first time in awhile.

I don't agree that we were on a downward trend since 2010, but I won't argue that point.

I'll just say that I hope NU is on an upswing from last year and that Oregon proves to be the big win many view it as. For now, I'm at most cautiously optimistic that this will be one of Riley's 9+ win teams. They certainly have the necessary talent.

For me, it will be about string years together - not just 5 or 7 wins.