In Nebraska's last 6 games...

Saunders

Probably the stretch from 2009 to 2010 when NU went 15-2, with dominating wins over a 7th ranked team and a top 25 team, two other wins over top 25 teams and a close loss to a 3rd ranked team.

I think the UCLA and Oregon wins sound good based on name prestige, but neither of those teams were very good when we played them (sort of like Miami in 2014).

Personally, I don't think the term "turning a program" in a corner is very meaningful. Things change too much from year to year to have a statement implying that "we've arrived" make any sense. I thought the same thing back in 2009 when Bo made the declaration after the Arizona win.

Thanks, Bo.

Rare thing to witness here - I agree with cm.

We're on a good upswing, but we've got a long ways to go. The only part of this impressive by historical Nebraska standards was the MSU win, everything else is what we should be doing. Oregon still has sexy name recognition, but there's a good chance they don't finish ranked. UCLA was a lot like us vs Washington - they didn't want it nearly as much as we did and saw it as beneath them, to their detriment. Wins over Fresno and Wyoming are what they are, and the loss to Iowa...wait, I'm confused. Was Iowa a top 5 team or not? We can't credit them as that when it makes it sound good to us, and then talk about how they weren't that good when it makes them sound bad. One or the other, please.

I'm excited and pleased and happy about where we're at. But it's entirely too premature to have any kind of discussion about being 'back' or having turned a corner.

One of the dumbest things fans do (not talking Nebraska fans but in general) is when their team beats a decent team they talk about how overrated the team they beat was.

Way to downplay the victory you just had.

I didn't say they were overrated. I didn't even say that they were bad. But if you've watched Oregon this year, they aren't really good either. They have problems- among them being massive coaching staff turnover. This was still an important and good win.

I wasn't aiming it at you or quoting you.

Probably the stretch from 2009 to 2010 when NU went 15-2, with dominating wins over a 7th ranked team and a top 25 team, two other wins over top 25 teams and a close loss to a 3rd ranked team.

I think the UCLA and Oregon wins sound good based on name prestige, but neither of those teams were very good when we played them (sort of like Miami in 2014).

Personally, I don't think the term "turning a program" in a corner is very meaningful. Things change too much from year to year to have a statement implying that "we've arrived" make any sense. I thought the same thing back in 2009 when Bo made the declaration after the Arizona win.

Thanks, Bo.

We're on a good upswing, but we've got a long ways to go. The only part of this impressive by historical Nebraska standards was the MSU win, everything else is what we should be doing. Oregon still has sexy name recognition, but there's a good chance they don't finish ranked. UCLA was a lot like us vs Washington - they didn't want it nearly as much as we did and saw it as beneath them, to their detriment. Wins over Fresno and Wyoming are what they are, and the loss to Iowa...wait, I'm confused. Was Iowa a top 5 team or not? We can't credit them as that when it makes it sound good to us, and then talk about how they weren't that good when it makes them sound bad. One or the other, please.

I'm excited and pleased and happy about where we're at. But it's entirely too premature to have any kind of discussion about being 'back' or having turned a corner.

One of the dumbest things fans do (not talking Nebraska fans but in general) is when their team beats a decent team they talk about how overrated the team they beat was.

I didn't say they were overrated. I didn't even say that they were bad. But if you've watched Oregon this year, they aren't really good either. They have problems- among them being massive coaching staff turnover. This was still an important and good win.

I didn't say they were overrated either. I think there's a good chance this year's Oregon team ends the season unranked, and they are currently unranked.

After the year is over, hypothetically, if they finish 8-4, are we still going to look back and give Riley credit for beating a "ranked non-conference opponent" when Pelini and Callahan didn't, even though by end of season they aren't a top 25 team?

I'm not in any way trying to downplay the victory. It was one of the craziest environments I've been in at Memorial, and one of my top 3 favorite game experiences ever. All I'm trying to do is bring people back to earth a little bit who are trying to overplay the victory.

Thanks, Bo.

Sorry, I didn't see anyone downplaying the win in your quote box, so assumed it was aimed at the original post that led to the "thanks Bo" comment.

Talk to me after the last 5 games of the season. If the Huskers can go 4-1 or 5-0, they've turned a corner. 3-2 they are close. Anything less, they still have a lot of work ahead of them. It'll be 3 tough games, and one (on paper) easy win. I think Wiscy and Iowa are game they should win as well. On the road against OSU, I can see a loss, but it needs to be competitive.

So, it's not so much that I think that Nebraska is "back" but on an upswing. It's fair to say NU was on an overall downward trend since the 2010 Big 12 CCG. The first half of last year was definitely rock bottom of that era, and judging by everything post-Purdue, it's reasonable to say we're on the upswing.

How far that goes depends on the staff and players, but it's safe to say things are looking up again for the first time in awhile.

Could you imagine being on a downswing since Purdue?? Gosh what would that look like?

Thanks, Bo.

I didn't say they were overrated either. I think there's a good chance this year's Oregon team ends the season unranked, and they are currently unranked.

After the year is over, hypothetically, if they finish 8-4, are we still going to look back and give Riley credit for beating a "ranked non-conference opponent" when Pelini and Callahan didn't, even though by end of season they aren't a top 25 team?

I'm not in any way trying to downplay the victory. It was one of the craziest environments I've been in at Memorial, and one of my top 3 favorite game experiences ever. All I'm trying to do is bring people back to earth a little bit who are trying to overplay the victory.

Yes, because we need to be brought back to Earth after the last 15 years of being smacked in the face with reality. Let the kids have some fun ya old fuddy duddy.

• Fire 1

Yes, because we need to be brought back to Earth after the last 15 years of being smacked in the face with reality. Let the kids have some fun ya old fuddy duddy.

The kids are allowed to have as much fun as they would so desire. In fact I was having fun with a lot of them in the back room of The Downtown Saturday night - a lot of them sub-21 in age as well. They had a blast and so did I.

Unless you're calling Moiraine and everyone else in this thread kids :P

Thanks, Bo.

It wasn't aimed at you either. lol.

"(not talking Nebraska fans but in general)"

Thanks, Bo.

Sorry, I didn't see anyone downplaying the win in your quote box, so assumed it was aimed at the original post that led to the "thanks Bo" comment.

I was mostly thinking of some comments about Iowa before the game last year and about MSU and just in general when people chant "overrated." I don't think anyone's being particularly obnoxious after the Oregon win.

This wasn't the Oregon of the past decade, but it was still a good win, and a confidence booster. The players beat a top-25 team and we should be happy about it. Not a perfect game, but we were able to finish the game with a win. For me, I think it is a good sign of things to come in the future. National Champs? No, not this year, but I do think the players will have some added "swag" to how they play, and will play with confidence in the next few weeks. We can't write anyone off, though. I think the men will be ready for each game, and continually improve.

Every game is different, and Ohio State isn't unbeatable, so we do have a chance. Michigan State was a loss for many on here last year, but anything can happen.

Nebraska is 5-1 over the last 6 games with wins against #7 Michigan State, UCLA, #22 Oregon, and a close loss at home to #4 Iowa.

I don't want to jump the gun, but...

giphy.gif

When was the last time we performed that well against a stretch of good opponents like that? Could we have finally turned the corner?

We will have turned the corner if we go through this stretch of games unscathed and are 7-0 going to Wisky and we're beating the teams you should without drama or close games going into the 4th.

Let's see if the coaching and senior leadership help these kids keep their wits about them when they go to Northwestern. And Indiana.