Northwestern's grass field is in terrible shape

knapplc

I was always under the impression that field (and astro) turf was way cheaper than natural grass over a 10ish year period. It seems like most large high schools have field turf now.

If you look at NFL fields that have grass, it usually looks like crap halfway through the season and they usually end up bringing in new sod between the hash marks.

Pittsburgh is a glaring example here. By mid November, Heinz Field is always chewed up.

Three teams use that field during the football season. There's not a field that can handle that abuse for 90 days.

I don't think NW is trying to slow us down or somehow gain an advantage. They just have a small athletic budget and really crappy facilities. :dunno:

Northwestern get's the same amount of money from the B1G as everyone else. They can divert a small portion of it to make sure kids don't get injured on that crap field.

NW gets more money from the conference than the Huskers do. No excuse for that piss poor field.
  • Fire 2

I was always under the impression that field (and astro) turf was way cheaper than natural grass over a 10ish year period. It seems like most large high schools have field turf now.

If you look at NFL fields that have grass, it usually looks like crap halfway through the season and they usually end up bringing in new sod between the hash marks.

Pittsburgh is a glaring example here. By mid November, Heinz Field is always chewed up.

Three teams use that field during the football season. There's not a field that can handle that abuse for 90 days.

That's a fair comment, however not here. There is no signs of wear and tear. Most of the bad areas are on the edges. Fields that get a lot of play (seacrest back in the old days)- would show wear from too many games however mostly near mid field between the hash marks.

You mean with all the friggin genius's at that school they don't have one person capable of growing a decent stand of grass? On the flip side, with the amount of alumni money that one would think should be available, why don't they have field turf

Some colleges believe that book learning is more important than football, so their money follows those priorities and not whether their team wears Dweezy shoes or some such. Hard for some to believe, but it's true.

You mean with all the friggin genius's at that school they don't have one person capable of growing a decent stand of grass? On the flip side, with the amount of alumni money that one would think should be available, why don't they have field turf

Some colleges believe that book learning is more important than football, so their money follows those priorities and not whether their team wears Dweezy shoes or some such. Hard for some to believe, but it's true.
uh we were talking about a quality field to play on, not accessories. Most decent high school programs have better fields than that of Northwestern, and they don't get the benefit of B1G money.
  • Fire 2

giphy.gif

• Fire 1

You mean with all the friggin genius's at that school they don't have one person capable of growing a decent stand of grass? On the flip side, with the amount of alumni money that one would think should be available, why don't they have field turf?

or else I prefer natural grass with PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Anyway, I wish tear down FieldTurf in Tom Osborne field and install beautiful, nice odor, softer, cooler, and less injury real grass. Long-term costs are less with natural turf fields compared to synthetic turf fields (FieldTurf). Artificial fields need replacing every 8-10 years, whereas a natural turf field does not. NFL already convert from fake surface (i.e. FieldTurf) to natural grass ........... Denver Broncos, Arrowhead, Solder Field, Lambeau Field, Steelers, Eagles and some more. And last CFP teams, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan State and Oklahoma, all home venue natural grass

Cooler? Someone hasn't done full-pad pushups on natural grass in 100 degree heat.

I have on artificial and natural....Artificial (FieldTurf) is definitely hotter than Natural Grass.