Northwestern's grass field is in terrible shape

knapplc

Wasn't the first game of the NFL cancelled as both teams refused to play due to some field condition?

There was paint on the Hall of Fame game turf that made the field unplayable. Not exactly this situation.
Yeah they used the wrong paint or something

Which I don't think wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't applied it relatively shortly before kickoff. When it wasn't drying fast enough they attempted to heat it dry, which melted the pellets in the field turf to create a hard rubber playing surface. Then came a last ditch effort of using paint thinner for some reason. I guess the NFL draws the line on player safety at getting tackled on a solid surface covered with a substance that will burn your skin.

Q: What is it about Ryan Field’s grass that wreaks such havoc on opposing teams?

ZP: I’ve never quite understood this notion, but I think the biggest thing is that perhaps the grass is on the longer side. This year, a lot of the fans have complained that the field just doesn’t look that great. I’d agree that after a relatively dry summer it’s not in the best condition right now, but it looked a lot better last week than the two weeks before.

http://hailvarsity.com/news/armstrong-threat-northwestern/2016/09/

You mean with all the friggin genius's at that school they don't have one person capable of growing a decent stand of grass? On the flip side, with the amount of alumni money that one would think should be available, why don't they have field turf?

or else I prefer natural grass with PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Anyway, I wish tear down FieldTurf in Tom Osborne field and install beautiful, nice odor, softer, cooler, and less injury real grass. Long-term costs are less with natural turf fields compared to synthetic turf fields (FieldTurf). Artificial fields need replacing every 8-10 years, whereas a natural turf field does not. NFL already convert from fake surface (i.e. FieldTurf) to natural grass ........... Denver Broncos, Arrowhead, Solder Field, Lambeau Field, Steelers, Eagles and some more. And last CFP teams, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan State and Oklahoma, all home venue natural grass

• Fire 1

You mean with all the friggin genius's at that school they don't have one person capable of growing a decent stand of grass? On the flip side, with the amount of alumni money that one would think should be available, why don't they have field turf?

or else I prefer natural grass with PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Anyway, I wish tear down FieldTurf in Tom Osborne field and install beautiful, nice odor, softer, cooler, and less injury real grass. Long-term costs are less with natural turf fields compared to synthetic turf fields (FieldTurf). Artificial fields need replacing every 8-10 years, whereas a natural turf field does not. NFL already convert from fake surface (i.e. FieldTurf) to natural grass ........... Denver Broncos, Arrowhead, Solder Field, Lambeau Field, Steelers, Eagles and some more. And last CFP teams, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan State and Oklahoma, all home venue natural grass

Are you sure? Water, paint, paying mowers, gas for mowers, maintenence of mowers.

I like real grass too just fyi, but I've always been told you pay more for natural grass. I don't really know the math with it, however.