Running up the score

To be clear--when I said tom Osborne used to do this all the time, I didn't mean just running up the score.

He used to go for it on 4th down while up by half a hundred All-the-Time.

He would say in interviews that he did it to give the other team a chance to stop them rather than just adding field goal points. He felt it was the way a good sport would handle the situation.

It amazes me how pissed off Nebraska fans can be when we don't run up the score but get absolutely butt sore when it happens to us.

It makes no sense to me. I can see the younger fans being a little butthurt about it because they never saw NU at the pinnacle of their success. So they have mainly seen it happen to us, while not knowing that we used to do it almost on a weekly basis.

Back then we would say things like we are using our 2nd,3rd,4th string players, they will run the offense and if XX University can't stop them, then that is their fault for allowing backups to score on them. Well that holds true when we are on the wrong side of one of those ass whippings. It's our job to stop them, we have nobody to blame but ourselves for allowing them to run the score up because we didn't stop them.

I was born in 95. No problem with OSU or Meyer continuing to score. They could have scored 100 and there would still be no problem. Play a great game and this doesn't happen
  • Fire 1

It amazes me how pissed off Nebraska fans can be when we don't run up the score but get absolutely butt sore when it happens to us.

It makes no sense to me. I can see the younger fans being a little butthurt about it because they never saw NU at the pinnacle of their success. So they have mainly seen it happen to us, while not knowing that we used to do it almost on a weekly basis.

Back then we would say things like we are using our 2nd,3rd,4th string players, they will run the offense and if XX University can't stop them, then that is their fault for allowing backups to score on them. Well that holds true when we are on the wrong side of one of those ass whippings. It's our job to stop them, we have nobody to blame but ourselves for allowing them to run the score up because we didn't stop them.

I was born in 95. No problem with OSU or Meyer continuing to score. They could have scored 100 and there would still be no problem. Play a great game and this doesn't happen

Precisely!

When NU was blowing out teams in the 80s and 90s, NU fans didn't feel bad about it. Our philosophy was "we can't control the fact that our 2nd and 3rd string players are better than your starters". Now, when the shoe is on the other foot, some fans want to get butt hurt about it.

Ohio State was not running up the score. They were playing the football game. It's Banker and the D's job to make stops, and they didn't get it done. It's Langsdorf and the O to score points, and they didn't get the job done.

• Fire 1

We should petition the B1G for a 'Mercy Rule' or some kind of class threshold requirement for top teams. I also agree with the strongly worded letter to the B1G about how it's time to implement some kind of algebraic formula of what a team is allowed to score based on several factors to grade and score impending blowouts. If it needs to be called the Nebraska Rule, then that's a small price to pay for making a stand on optics, fairness and the feelings of our fan base.

The refs are busy but it wouldn't be difficult to appoint a fairness commissioner for each game to watch this closely and feed info to coaches tempted to score again.

When NU was blowing out teams in the 80s and 90s, NU fans didn't feel bad about it. Our philosophy was "we can't control the fact that our 2nd and 3rd string players are better than your starters". Now, when the shoe is on the other foot, some fans want to get butt hurt about it.

Ohio State was not running up the score. They were playing the football game. It's Banker and the D's job to make stops, and they didn't get it done. It's Langsdorf and the O to score points, and they didn't get the job done.

This is correct. The "running up the score" argument is a fallacy.

I don't blame them, we couldn't stop it, we obviously weren't a Top 10 team and got exposed on national television at night.............again, and they had some close games they shouldn't have and an unacceptable loss. So of course they have to make a statement to stay in the national championship picture and what better way to do it. It hurts, for sure, but at this point we should probably be used to it. We occasionally climb the rankings ladder, get no respect, get exposed, but the team that beats us gets a ton of credit for beating "Nebraska" Wash-rinse-repeat

We should petition the B1G for a 'Mercy Rule' or some kind of class threshold requirement for top teams. I also agree with the strongly worded letter to the B1G about how it's time to implement some kind of algebraic formula of what a team is allowed to score based on several factors to grade and score impending blowouts. If it needs to be called the Nebraska Rule, then that's a small price to pay for making a stand on optics, fairness and the feelings of our fan base.

The refs are busy but it wouldn't be difficult to appoint a fairness commissioner for each game to watch this closely and feed info to coaches tempted to score again.

I hope this was said sarcastically.