Big Ten Announces 2017 Friday Night Primetime Schedule

Saunders

Why is it unnecessary? I'm not being argumentative, I'm just genuinely curious. I don't know the reasons they decided to schedule them. Maybe no one does or there is no reason, but I have a little bit of more faith in humanity than that.

I don't think it's unnecessary. I think a lot of the minor B1G schools would like to have some more prime time exposure on FOX/FS1 or ESPN during the season.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. The only conference that doesn't normally do weekday games now is the $EC (surprisingly). It's not like the B1G is breaking any ground by doing Friday nights. Better than Thursday IMO.

The SEC seems to open on Thursday nights, or I then South Carolina has the last few years

It is.

Well hopefully we will be atteactive enough to recruits that they will still want to visit a different weekend if we end up playing a Friday home game. Sky isn't falling yet because of this.

I have no idea why people are flipping out over the recruiting aspects of this decision. Yes, home game visits are an important aspect to recruiting, but it's one home game over a 3 year period. It's not the end of the world.

Because it IS a big deal.

it is esp since for whatever reason Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St have already been granted that they dont have to lose that home game recruiting opportunity.

Fourteen teams in the league. Nine teams play on a Friday night each year. Not on the list this time is Indiana, Penn St, Michigan, OSU and Iowa. Five of the nine must play again next year. If I remember right either Michigan or OSU said no Fridays at all, with the other two having no home Friday games, so they must play conference games away games only. Nebraska must be getting a deal here because as I figure it they get one Friday free season every 4 years or so.

If I recall correctly, other schools could have opted out if they wanted. Michigan did completely, PSU said it would occasionally host on a Friday after Thanksgiving, and OSU said it would host a home game if the Friday falls on fall break. From what I have read, Nebraska's administration could have said thanks, but no thanks too, but agreed to jump in. As for the other schools, it's likely good exposure.

Edit: Michigan is the only school that said no. I have not read anywhere that the Big Ten said certain schools get to opt out and others don't; the schools participating agreed to do so (which is every school but Michigan). USA Today story about different schools making different choices for participation (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2016/11/02/jim-delany-big-ten-football-conference-friday-games-tv-contract/93179790/).

I understand you guys still have some bad taste in your mouth from the Big 12, but I don't recall the Big Ten ever carving out exceptions for certain schools in the past (may have happened, but I don't remember any).

Edited by BOJ

Meh, pretty much impactless if it's only once every 3 years. The only thing I don't like about it is that some of the conference members get to bail out of it while apparently others do not. That isn't fair. It's complete bullsh#t if Michigan or tOSU can say "no thanks" and others don't have the same option. Seems like something the Longwhorns would set up.

The Friday night HS games affects relatively few fans and I can understand those that it does being upset about it. The recruiting visits thing isn't going to change the recruits we get. If we want that to change for the better, it would be much more beneficial to focus on not getting our asses handed to us whenever we hit the big stage of a nationally televised night game. There will be just as many people willing and wanting to go on a Friday night as there are those pissed about it. In fact, I would rather they play Friday night than Saturday morning at 10 or 11. And if it's going to be anything at all like our last game, 7AM on a Tuesday would be best.

As for those saying there is no reason, well there is that biggest reason of all....money. They aren't doing this for sh#ts & giggles just to piss people off.

• Fire 2

Florida St. is playing this Friday night, Clemson played on a Friday this year, heck Stanford and Washington played a top 10 game on a Friday. Doesn't seem to have a major effect on those schools and their recruiting. Anyone who thinks playing on Friday's is the end of the world is making a big deal out of nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Big Ten schools announced football games to be televised in Friday primetime during the 2017 season. The games, which will be televised by ESPN and FOX, are as follows:

Fri., Sept. 1 Washington at Rutgers

Fri., Sept. 1 Utah State at Wisconsin

Fri., Sept. 8 Ohio at Purdue

Fri., Sept. 29 Nebraska at Illinois

Fri., Oct. 13 Northwestern at Maryland

Fri., Oct. 27 Michigan State at Northwestern

Already seeing cracks in this plan. Northwestern's 2 Friday night games were moved to Saturday.

Nebraska @ Illinois and Iowa @ Nebraska are now the only Friday conference games on the 2017 schedule.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19067246/northwestern-friday-games-switched-saturdays

Full B1G schedule:

C8Rdj7eXoAEPCtY.jpg

• Fire 1

I would think if one night game against Illinois is going to hurt recruiting then maybe your not recruiting good enough to begin with.

Personally I like it. Something to look forward to during the week for a change and also there will be plenty of other games on Saturday to watch.