LJS: Coaches Came Up Short Against tOSU

Mavric

"The biggest thing is, number one, we all know it was unacceptable," Banker said. "Nobody foresaw it. Nobody wanted it to happen. The thing that was concerning was that some of the basics … were really lacking at times, especially as the game went on."

Basics were lacking? In the ninth game of the season? Against a team that you knew was going to be well-prepared? Against a team that you knew would be hell-bent on finding its stride in the season's homestretch?

Nebraska had plenty on the line as well. This showdown, on such a grand national stage, could've become a program-changer. So, when I hear that the Huskers fell short in execution of "basics," that sounds like a coaching issue more than anything else.

"We can go over and over everything and wonder why (Ohio State scored 62), and there are probably too many reasons that could be or would be the reason why, but that's not going to solve anything, at least for us," Banker said. "I know you might want answers to that. But if I knew why, I would've done something during the course of the game."

LJS

Edited by Mavric
Corrected citation
  • Fire 1

Sipple is wrong. Banker was asked a tough question and he said that "you have to be at your best, and that coaching and playing wasn't on". Gee, is that incorrect? I agree with him.

And as far as running six times in the second half, it was 38-3 just 12 seconds into the second half. Prior to that 2nd half kickoff, had Sipple listened to the radio broadcast, he would have heard former Husker Matt Davison mention that it has to be all passing the rest of the way, other than a few handoffs here and there. Davison knew they needed to air it out to try and get back into it. And I agree with him too.

Man this article is just trying to throw gas on a fire that died out already. The game sucked, but man, just tip your hat to OSU and move on. We got Minnesota this week.

• Fire 6

Sipple is wrong. Banker was asked a tough question and he said that "you have to be at your best, and that coaching and playing wasn't on". Gee, is that incorrect? I agree with him.

And as far as running six times in the second half, it was 38-3 just 12 seconds into the second half. Prior to that 2nd half kickoff, had Sipple listened to the radio broadcast, he would have heard former Husker Matt Davison mention that it has to be all passing the rest of the way, other than a few handoffs here and there. Davison knew they needed to air it out to try and get back into it. And I agree with him too.

Man this article is just trying to throw gas on a fire that died out already. The game sucked, but man, just tip your hat to OSU and move on. We got Minnesota this week.

Yep. If you want to argue that we should've ran it more so we lose by less, then you're essentially saying you want to play to lose. While the game was well out of reach by this point, the only way you can conceivably get back into it is to pass. Not to mention you lost TA so your running game takes a big step back.

• Fire 4

I really thinking tackling killed us. MRI, IIRC, had 3 where he made contact that would have forced a punt, but failed to wrap up and make the tackle. Too many YAC across the board.

What I hated the most was when Kirk and Fowler started talking about OSU having needed to work on they're passing game and they were doing that against NU....almost as though it was a scrimmage for them....

I was not, and am still not a fan of Langs play calling the last 4 games. We are down, I understand that. Need to score and score sooner than later. With a walk-on QB, protected by 3 walk-on OL men, why not go for quick passes to the flats, RB or screens. Quick slants etc.... No way anyone could go long with our patch work OL and their D. Virtually impossible as witnessed by going 9-33. Needed more high percentage passes IMO. Get it to the play makers and let them try to get into the end ozone. That long pass play was off all night. For TA and Fyfe. Had Moore caught those passes (3 I can recall), it might have opened somethings up.

On to the Gophers.

I really thinking tackling killed us. MRI, IIRC, had 3 where he made contact that would have forced a punt, but failed to wrap up and make the tackle. Too many YAC across the board.

What I hated the most was when Kirk and Fowler started talking about OSU having needed to work on they're passing game and they were doing that against NU....almost as though it was a scrimmage for them....

I was not, and am still not a fan of Langs play calling the last 4 games. We are down, I understand that. Need to score and score sooner than later. With a walk-on QB, protected by 3 walk-on OL men, why not go for quick passes to the flats, RB or screens. Quick slants etc.... No way anyone could go long with our patch work OL and their D. Virtually impossible as witnessed by going 9-33. Needed more high percentage passes IMO. Get it to the play makers and let them try to get into the end ozone. That long pass play was off all night. For TA and Fyfe. Had Moore caught those passes (3 I can recall), it might have opened somethings up.

On to the Gophers.

Yeah, the tackling was terrible. Not sure why. It seems like the Blackshirts have done a lot better job of tackling this year, as compared to last. Well, up until Saturday, that is.

Lack of depth kills NU

Fundamentals have been lacking for years

Zero pass rush is brutal

NU seems not to play to their strengths at times with their players.

NFL mindset is brutal to watch if the team does not have NFL talent.

I would agree. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw NU play a complete 4 quarters. Or not have issues with the basics.

Depth has killed us. Recruiting misses have killed us. I think if the B1G refs would acknowledge holding, our pass rush might be better.

We have further to go than I thought prior to the beat down last Sat night.

Sipple blames the coaches for not having the kids prepared (though he doesn't elaborate on why he feels they deserve all the blame) and thinks we should have focused on burning clock in the second (I guess?). Otherwise, he's just sharing how confused and concerned everyone is... It's a good thing we have his insight. I could never get hot takes like that on here, from co-workers, on the bus, etc. They just don't have that program access!

Btw, do you think he proofreads? I saw the word, calling, twice in a row. I'm no wordsmith but I'm not getting paid either.

Lack of depth kills NU

Fundamentals have been lacking for years

Zero pass rush is brutal

NU seems not to play to their strengths at times with their players.

NFL mindset is brutal to watch if the team does not have NFL talent.

I would agree. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw NU play a complete 4 quarters. Or not have issues with the basics.

Depth has killed us. Recruiting misses have killed us. I think if the B1G refs would acknowledge holding, our pass rush might be better.

We have further to go than I thought prior to the beat down last Sat night.

Holiday Bowl against Arizona.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw NU play a complete 4 quarters.

How about vs UCLA or Michigan State last year?

Defense still got torched in those games.

Ah, okay, so what exactly does play complete 4 quarters of football mean? I mean, we held UCLA under their PPG average at least, and there is another team on the field, so at least part of the equation can/could be that they're just...you know, good?

A lot of people reference this nebulous and abstract concept of 'play a complete 4 quarters'. But i think every reference I've ever heard towards it in my entire life is about how we didn't do it, except in cases like 1996 against Florida.

So what exactly are people expecting here?

On to the Gophers.

Yeah, the tackling was terrible. Not sure why. It seems like the Blackshirts have done a lot better job of tackling this year, as compared to last. Well, up until Saturday, that is.

I could be wrong, but I'd venture to guess if one would go back nearly three decades ago it would look eerily similar in the bowl games. We were losing those games pretty bad. In a couple of those games we either didn't score at all or only scored a field goal. I vividly remember my dad going off on the defense in those games because of all the missed tackles. The lesson learned here is exactly what TO learned. We just didn't have the athletes that Miami and Florida State did, or at least we didn't have the speed. Changes were made and different skill sets were recruited which led to the run. A lot of times when there is a missed tackle it's because the player just didn't have quite enough speed to get there and make it.

We got punched in the mouth against Ohio State. I'm not willing to throw the coaches under the bus just yet. If we lose out the rest of the way, then I will be ready to join the pitchfork crowd.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw NU play a complete 4 quarters.

How about in Ann Arbor, 3 years ago this week?

This seemed like "a game that mattered."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=333130130

Nebraska 17, Michigan 13
Nebraska mounted a late fourth quarter drive to win 17–13, tying the all-time series with Michigan at 4–4–1.
The loss snaps a 19-game home winning streak under coach Brady Hoke at Michigan Stadium. The Huskers scored the first 10 points of the game in the first quarter, then Michigan scored the next 13 before Nebraska would come back with the game-winning touchdown with just over two minutes left in the game.
The Huskers outgained the Wolverines in total offense 273 yards to 175 while holding Michigan to minus-21 yards rushing in the contest.
Tommy Armstrong was 11-of-19 for 139 yards with a TD, Ameer Abdullah had 27 carries for 105 yards with one rushing and one receiving TD and Quincy Enunwa had 7 catches for 69 yards to lead the Huskers offensively.
Defensively, Randy Gregory came up with three sacks of Michigan QB Devin Gardner to lead a Blackshirt defense that produced seven sacks on the day.