Trump's cabinet

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Not sure if this is the best place for it, but some updates on Flynn. 

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/michael-flynn-sentencing/index.html

Judge Emmet Sullivan asked in court today if Michael Flynn's conduct "rises to the level of treasonous activity?"

Prosecutor Brandon Van Grack, speaking for the special counsel's office, said prosecutors did not consider charging Flynn with treason. Then Sullivan asked again: "Could he have been charged with treason?”

Van Grack wouldn't go there.

Judge Sullivan harshly admonished Michael Flynn for acting as unregistered agent while serving as the national security adviser, leaving open the possibility of jail time for Flynn.

“All along, you were an unregistered agent of a foreign country while serving as the National Security Adviser to the President of the United States. That undermines everything this flag over here stands for. Arguably you sold your country out."

Sullivan says he could impose a sentence of incarceration.

"I am not hiding my disgust, my disdain for your criminal offense," Sullivan said, straining his voice and taking a brief pause. "Yes, your honor," Flynn said, though he was not asked a question.

If treasonous activity is at the forefront of the judge's mind, how much is Trump in the back of the judge's mind as the kingpin, mafia boss pulling the levers of Flynn's activities :dunno - this is serious stuff.   Me thinks that Trump is not only in this judge's mind but the mind of any other judge who may hear any of the related cases.   If this judge really slaps Flynn  - Trump and all of his associates should be shaking in their boots.  While Cohen's charges are more related to campaign finance laws (not including what he may have told Mueller on Russia that is still unknown) - this Flynn case gets to the heart of Trump's relationship wt Russia.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

If treasonous activity is at the forefront of the judge's mind, how much is Trump in the back of the judge's mind as the kingpin, mafia boss pulling the levers of Flynn's activities :dunno - this is serious stuff.   Me thinks that Trump is not only in this judge's mind but the mind of any other judge who may hear any of the related cases.   If this judge really slaps Flynn  - Trump and all of his associates should be shaking in their boots.  While Cohen's charges are more related to campaign finance laws (not including what he may have told Mueller on Russia that is still unknown) - this Flynn case gets to the heart of Trump's relationship wt Russia.

Lets not gloss over that this judge was appointed by Trump

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

He can't but he will - cry  Witch Hunt and point at the judge - quickly forgetting he appointed him.

The funniest thing about this is that the more intelligent but still entrenched Republicans will just argue that this is a sign that Trump and his appointees actually care about the law and that it's a compliment to Trump that he would appoint judges who are willing to hold him and his administration accountable.

I've only read a few excerpts of the Michael Lewis book on the early days of the Trump transition, but it's pretty clear that the few competent professionals quickly saw the writing on the wall and stepped away, leaving key positions to a collection of B-Teamers, C-Teamers and utterly clueless loyalists. And even those low standards couldn't fill the ranks. There are entire departments in the Trump administration that have no leadership and operate as virtual ghost towns.