Trump's cabinet

I was a huge fan of charter schools when they first started out here. Originally they were independent schools built by the community with streamlined focus. Over the last several years they have become a way to privatize education and avoid a lot of the regulations. They finally put some limits in place but for a while there charter schools were like starbucks (on every corner) in parts of the Denver metro. Now, a lot of the charter schools are part of a chain and it doesn't seem quite healthy.

His vision for rural education is basically turning rural schools into cube farms of online education...

So, he basically wants kids to do school remotely, from home? I'm not sure I understand this.

Problem is "last mile telecom" in rural areas. But, the schools can have high speed fiber/satellite cost-effectively. So, send the kids school and do video conferencing/online education for all the classes. Have teacher aides in the classrooms instead of teachers, pack as many kids into the room as possible. His latest version is literally using cubicles & chrome books for education delivery for elementary school as if the kids would even sit still... This is the opposite of his approach for urban schools...

This is pretty much what I do for PT school on UNK's campus. Almost all of our classes are piped in from Omaha. Works pretty well for our purposes, for the most part.

Not sure if professional school and elementary school are real good comparisons, though.

I think it works really well for post-secondary education and specialized education before that (I took Japanese in middle school via satellite and it was great). Elementary is as much about socialization and building soft skills as it is building knowledge. I also think a lot of elementary and HS classes are better being physically interactive. I think online learning is a great way to bridge gaps for rural areas but I don't see it should be the sole/primary approach if that makes sense.

Kids in a classroom can't interact with a piped-in teacher, especially if the teacher is pre-recorded or broadcasting to multiple classrooms at once. So the subject is something the kid doesn't understand, what do they do? Go to the Aide? Then they're not getting time with an accredited teacher.

Not knocking Aides here, because they do a ton of heavy lifting in the classroom. But they're nurses compared to surgeons. We NEED surgeons.

Like I said, works great on our level. With little kids... I agree, it's a bad fit. Agree that they wouldn't be able to sit still, and it does detract from their socialization as well.

We're doing enough to disincentivize good teachers anyway right now with what they're being paid. Further driving them away from rural areas seems like a bad idea.

Who knows. Maybe DeVos surprises all of us. She bought the seat and a big part of the reason she was a charter advocate in Michigan in the first place was because she had financial incentive to be one.

Maybe it'll all work out. I just don't know. Somedays it just feels like I'm taking crazy pills watching all of this...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/02/07/republicans-vote-to-rebuke-elizabeth-warren-for-impugning-sessionss-character/?utm_term=.3dab366261ff

When in doubt, silence your opposition.

In an extraordinarily rare move, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) interrupted Warren’s speech, in a near-empty chamber as debate on Sessions’s nomination heads toward a Wednesday evening vote, and said that she had breached Senate rules by reading past statements against Sessions from figures such as the late senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and the late Coretta Scott King.

“The senator has impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama,” McConnell said, then setting up a series of roll-call votes on Warren’s conduct.

Elizabeth Warren is now forbid from speaking for the remainder of the Jeff Sessions debate.

• Fire 1

The Orangutang in Thief and his cabinet of blood sucking babbling Babboons are truly terrifying and the confirmation of that anti-public education #*+o*?! De Voz is particularly discouraging. I mostly had excellent teachers throughout the public school system and it is frequently better than the pay to play schools.

Dems don't know how to fight and play dirty like the other side--the Dark Side. They got no backbone.

Bannon, Sessions, well F those guys, but Jared Kuschner is the one to keep your eye on, he's the "brains" and a wolf in sheep's clothing. I'm gonna find out who he's really working for.

Tillerson was CEO @ Exxon when Hugo Chavez kicked them outta Venezuela and nationalized their oil. Payback time, I suppose. All hooked in w Russian oil too. Grease those palms.

Conway is a ttl mercenary, money grubbing liar. She was categorically anti-Trump, til he offered her the big $ to shill for his sorry ass. No amount of her new designer clothes and make over can put lipstick on that pig.

I know, tell ya how I really feel.

Oh well, I still can't believe this is happening... Good job America.

• Fire 1

Wouldn't a voucher fund necessarily draw funds away from the general education fund, meaning less money for public schools? Who is that going to impact more, rural or urban schools? I have to think rural, since their budgets are necessarily smaller, with less "wiggle" room.

Yes, that's the big rip off. The public pays for certain kids to go to private, for profit schools. It's a corporate subsidy. Another "free lunch", just not for the kids.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/02/07/republicans-vote-to-rebuke-elizabeth-warren-for-impugning-sessionss-character/?utm_term=.3dab366261ff

In an extraordinarily rare move, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) interrupted Warren’s speech, in a near-empty chamber as debate on Sessions’s nomination heads toward a Wednesday evening vote, and said that she had breached Senate rules by reading past statements against Sessions from figures such as the late senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and the late Coretta Scott King.

“The senator has impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama,” McConnell said, then setting up a series of roll-call votes on Warren’s conduct.

Elizabeth Warren is now forbid from speaking for the remainder of the Jeff Sessions debate.

McConnell is a slimy, tiny, turtle of a man. He has done many things, but this one will not help him, it will only increase the rage of the base - it certainly has here out east. Liz read the letter in its entirety on a video on her website, and (fingers crossed) there are some rumors that the next Dem to speak may pick up where she was silenced.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

In an extraordinarily rare move, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) interrupted Warrens speech, in a near-empty chamber as debate on Sessionss nomination heads toward a Wednesday evening vote, and said that she had breached Senate rules by reading past statements against Sessions from figures such as the late senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and the late Coretta Scott King.

The senator has impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama, McConnell said, then setting up a series of roll-call votes on Warrens conduct.

McConnell is a slimy, tiny, turtle of a man. He has done many things, but this one will not help him, it will only increase the rage of the base - it certainly has here out east. Liz read the letter in its entirety on a video on her website, and (fingers crossed) there are some rumors that the next Dem to speak may pick up where she was silenced.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

McConnel's wife, Elaine Chao, frmr (anti)Labor scty under 'W', her Chinese family owns a multi billion $ shipping business. So he's living larger than large and that's why they want to make her Transportation scty now. Can you say, "revolving door"?

Drain the swamp!!!

Lol, I was going to say that. The "swamp", as it were, is SO not being drained. It was just another big dumb slogan he and his handlers came up with to pander to his base. "We shall rule them with slogans". The Ape prez--who has his tiny unopposable left paw on the nuke codes--has got more billionaires and retread right wing politicos in there than ever. He's turning the swamp into a big ol' lake, and he and his rich buddies are gonna ride this gravy train for all it's worth.

And lest we forget who Trump just shoved down our throats as Education Secretary, Betsy DeVos in her own words about buying influence in government.

Trump may have run against big money in politics, but his choice for Education Secretary has made no apologies about her family’s political spending. Betsy DeVos has been a major financial backer of legal efforts to overturn campaign-spending limits. In 1997, she brashly explained her opposition to campaign-finance-reform measures that were aimed at cleaning up so-called “soft money,” a predecessor to today’s unlimited “dark money” election spending. “My family is the biggest contributor of soft money to the Republican National Committee,” she wrote in the Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call. “I have decided to stop taking offense,” she wrote, “at the suggestion that we are buying influence. Now I simply concede the point. They are right. We do expect something in return. We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues. We expect a return on our investment.”

SOURCE

• Fire 2