Trump's cabinet

Explain how Bannon is a great pick.

Bannon doesn't think I'm as good as you are. Because I don't have a penis or testicles.

I can't believe how much people write off a person's words. A person's words show what/who they will and will not fight for.

Oh give me a break...now playing the gender card.

What is wrong with you? If I had said "Trump only won because he's a man," you could argue I was playing the gender card, whether that's true or not. But it doesn't apply to my post. My post is essentially: "This guy is sexist. How is he a good pick?" If you don't understand how that's not playing the gender card, you need to learn what the phrase means.

Here's another example to clear it up for you: If I wasn't female I would have gotten an A on this exam.

Good job not actually answering my question.

First bold - I agree. Words & actions are both being ignored/discounted. Take those away and there is nothing left on which to judge someone. It is one thing for someone to say they do not care about a person in power being a racist/sexist/bigot. It is another thing entirely to deny it when there is a lifetime's body of work that proves it.

Second bold - Gender-bias is still an issue especially in math/science disciplines. While that may be the gender card, it may also be accurate statement...

Oh, I agree. When people mention gender card or woman card, usually it's something to be argued against. But when bnil just used it, it didn't apply at all to my post, leading me to believe he doesn't understand what the phrase means.

Reince Cheif of Staff. But Banning Cheif Strategist. God help us all...https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/797917368189992960

Great picks by Trump. Priebus deserves a medal for managing the RNC during both the wild and crazy primary season as well as this general election. He could have sabotaged Trump's chances of winning the nomination just as DWS did on the Democratic side, but he listened to the will of the people and now is being rewarded for his efforts.

Bannon doesn't think I'm as good as you are. Because I don't have a penis or testicles.

I can't believe how much people write off a person's words. A person's words show what/who they will and will not fight for.

Oh give me a break...now playing the gender card. We've already heard some pundits claim Hillary lost because of sexism, Van Jones claimed is was because of a whitelash (despite the fact that blacks have voted for the Democratic candidate for decades by a much higher margin), and on and on. Many in Obama's current cabinet are pro-secular and think right-wing evangelicals are wacko and have made such statements over the years. Valerie Jarrett is to the left what Bannon is to the right...both play to the base and are focused on appeasing the base.

So that makes Bannon, known misogynist and anti-Semite, an appropriate pick as a policy adviser?! That's absurd!

Also, you'd think--with a good relationship with Israel being a top priority of Republicans, that having Bannon as a policy adviser wouldn't send the best of messages to Israel.

At work on my phone so difficult to reply to all the groupthink happening in here, but whatever I see trending on sites like Huffington Post are being regurgitated here. The level of freak out taking place by the left right now is epic. Everyone needs to just take a deep breath andfollow the advice of Hillary and Obama to give Trumpnq chance. The left claims to be the "open minded" party but that only seems to apply when everything falls in line with their own beliefs. Its a new day in America...rather than fighting it, embrace it.

I will not embrace any potential anti-Semitism, bigoted policies that may emerge from the White House or Congress, and I would hope you won't either.

I'm fully ready to give Trump an open mind and a chance to succeed as President. In fact, I'm hoping he does, and we can all have a collective laugh a year or two from now when all our concerns prove unfounded. However, we are in the present and given what is known about Trump, Bannon, and others, demonstrated through their rhetoric and action; there's reason to be concerned, and we shouldn't shy away from rallying around those concerns.

Some might say that rallying around concerns for our country is what got Trump elected in the first place.

• Fire 5

Van Jones said he was a Communist. You can read a bit about his bio here. And the controversy surrounding him here.

Van Jones was appointed as Obama's Special Advisor for "Green Jobs" as part of the Council for Environmental Quality."

Republicans protested his appointment and he resigned after a video surfaced of Jones calling Republicans "assh*les."

Jones served in an advisory capacity on a committee for about six months before resigning amid heavy Republican pressure.

Van Jones in a tertiary role on a committee IN NO WAY is the same as Bannon's role. Nor is Jones' rhetoric even remotely as incendiary as Bannon's. Equating the two is yet another step in the wrong direction, away from conciliation and further towards separation.

Yes, Van Jones's role, was confined more to the environmental issues. Bannon's role is a major role - kind of co-COS - which I think sends a wrong message but not just message - is a wrong step period. If you want to be the President of "All Americans", you don't hire the most political hack out there. I think hiring RP as COS is a good move but it got undermined wt Bannon's appointment.

• Fire 1

Reince Cheif of Staff. But Banning Cheif Strategist. God help us all...

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/797917368189992960

Great picks by Trump. Priebus deserves a medal for managing the RNC during both the wild and crazy primary season as well as this general election. He could have sabotaged Trump's chances of winning the nomination just as DWS did on the Democratic side, but he listened to the will of the people and now is being rewarded for his efforts.

Oh give me a break...now playing the gender card. We've already heard some pundits claim Hillary lost because of sexism, Van Jones claimed is was because of a whitelash (despite the fact that blacks have voted for the Democratic candidate for decades by a much higher margin), and on and on. Many in Obama's current cabinet are pro-secular and think right-wing evangelicals are wacko and have made such statements over the years. Valerie Jarrett is to the left what Bannon is to the right...both play to the base and are focused on appeasing the base.

So. I take you don't have an answer to what makes Bannon a great pick.

there isn't one. Bannon was a terrible pick. This is like having communist Van Jones in the White House but to the right. I was glad to hear Pence is taking over the Transition team but I would bet this choice of Bannon is all Trump's.

Yep. I happen to like Van ok, but he's pretty far left... I'll give you that.

Bannon is frankly a little unsettling of a choice. His lone qualification is that he helped Trump win. His specialty is spewing hateful garbage towards various non-white-male groups to whomever will listen.

No, bnil, we should not just lay down and "embrace it". This dude is a hate monger, and he has been for a long time. He's a terrible guy. We should call a spade a spade.

The "Trump will surround himself with the BEST people" crowd appears to have gone by the wayside. That's not an apt descriptor of Bannon.

The other thing about him is that both he and that spin machine Conway were pushed upon Trump by Robert and Rebekah Mercer, who are hedge-fund owning mega-donor to GOP causes. They provided the bulk of donor money that Trump got, hand selected those two, and I assume still have a lot of pull with the man himself. Rebekah was just named a part of his transition team.

So I would be very wary of what their influence leads to down the road, if anything. It bears watching. We may have another Koch brothers type of situation on our hands.

• Fire 1

So. I take you don't have an answer to what makes Bannon a great pick.

there isn't one. Bannon was a terrible pick. This is like having communist Van Jones in the White House but to the right. I was glad to hear Pence is taking over the Transition team but I would bet this choice of Bannon is all Trump's.

Yep. I happen to like Van ok, but he's pretty far left... I'll give you that.

Bannon is frankly a little unsettling of a choice. His lone qualification is that he helped Trump win. His specialty is spewing hateful garbage towards various non-white-male groups to whomever will listen.

No, bnil, we should not just lay down and "embrace it". This dude is a hate monger, and he has been for a long time. He's a terrible guy. We should call a spade a spade.

The "Trump will surround himself with the BEST people" crowd appears to have gone by the wayside. That's not an apt descriptor of Bannon.

The other thing about him is that both he and that spin machine Conway were pushed upon Trump by Robert and Rebekah Mercer, who are hedge-fund owning mega-donor to GOP causes. They provided the bulk of donor money that Trump got, hand selected those two, and I assume still have a lot of pull with the man himself. Rebekah was just named a part of his transition team.

So I would be very wary of what their influence leads to down the road, if anything. It bears watching. We may have another Koch brothers type of situation on our hands.

The Bold: The Brothers that the left love to demonize - Of course we conservatives have our favorite bogyman - George Soros. Each side has big money sources that the other side uses in their get out the vote or get out the protest campaigns.

But we are in agreement on Bannon. I think Conway was a good hire by Trump. She got him under control. Spin or note, she knows how to deal wt the press and is not afraid to talk back to them.

This is like having communist Van Jones in the White House but to the right.

Totally forgot about this. Melania Trump's father was a Communist.

Very interesting. Communists are everywhere. :madash

Well - I guess his kind was bit more freedom loving kind of communism so says the article :P :

Then, Slovenia was the northern region of Yugoslavia, ruled by Josip Broz Tito, a Communist dictator who kept his distance from the Soviet Union and allowed more freedoms than did other Eastern bloc leaders.

Flash summary on -- am I using the term correctly? -- "self-avowed Leninist" and new White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon.

New Yorker: "The elevation of Bannon to a powerful position in the White House is an epochal event in American politics"...

This was the opening that Bannon had been looking for. He despised Fox News and Rupert Murdoch, whom he believes is a “globalist,” and he saw Priebus and the Republican leaders in Congress, such as Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor, as “enemies.” Breitbart became the hub of resistance to the immigration-reform effort, developing strong ties to Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions, who was leading the opposition in the Senate. More ominously, it started cultivating a little-noticed movement of disenchanted conservatives who argued that the right should promote a restoration of white culture.

So that makes Bannon, known misogynist and anti-Semite, an appropriate pick as a policy adviser?! That's absurd!

Also, you'd think--with a good relationship with Israel being a top priority of Republicans, that having Bannon as a policy adviser wouldn't send the best of messages to Israel.

At work on my phone so difficult to reply to all the groupthink happening in here, but whatever I see trending on sites like Huffington Post are being regurgitated here. The level of freak out taking place by the left right now is epic. Everyone needs to just take a deep breath andfollow the advice of Hillary and Obama to give Trumpnq chance. The left claims to be the "open minded" party but that only seems to apply when everything falls in line with their own beliefs. Its a new day in America...rather than fighting it, embrace it.

Isn't this a line from either Darth Vader or the Emperor?

• Fire 1

In times such as these it's more important than ever to reach way across the aisle and find allies and common causes, even if we disagree about (many) other things.

So yesterday, I posted from The American Conservative and today, this is from The National Review.

For months I’ve been making the point that the natural and predictable compulsion to defend Donald Trump will have the effect of corrupting conservatism. (...)

By all means, if you think the charges against Bannon are unfair, make that case. Or if you agree with Bannon’s ethno-nationalist ideology, please tell us that. But please don’t smugly dismiss the concerns by suggesting that Bannonism is simply conservatism. It’s not. And even Steve Bannon says so.

I appreciate it because it strikes the same tone I've been thinking. DJT as POTUS spurs us to reflexively defend, normalize, accept. This is corrosive (and not merely to conservatism). So let's really get to the cores of who we are and decide what makes sense according to that and what doesn't. If agreeing with Steve Bannon is who you are, *great* -- there is honesty in that, and that helps move the discussion forward.