Trump's America

zoogs

Nebraska: no buyer's remorse http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/politics/nebraska-voters-donald-trump/index.html?sr=twCNN080217nebraska-voters-donald-trump0147PMVODtopLink

Miles of cornfields dominate the landscape on the roads into David City, which are lined with religious and anti-abortion rights billboards. (...) One storefront window features a handwritten list of 22 reasons to vote for Donald Trump: "1. Barak [sic] Hussein Obama does not support Donald Trump."

"He hasn't had the accomplishments because he hasn't had the cooperation of the majority in Congress, and they need to get on board with him," said John Svec, who teaches high school government, standing on the side of the town's pool, which he manages during the summer.

Wow. Fascinating. We, as a country, need to help out places like this. They're part of America, too. To the bolded (emphasis mine), :'(
You can lead a horse to water...
And he'll find a way to drown himself. Is that how it goes?
  • Fire 1

Nebraska: no buyer's remorse http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/politics/nebraska-voters-donald-trump/index.html?sr=twCNN080217nebraska-voters-donald-trump0147PMVODtopLink

Miles of cornfields dominate the landscape on the roads into David City, which are lined with religious and anti-abortion rights billboards. (...) One storefront window features a handwritten list of 22 reasons to vote for Donald Trump: "1. Barak [sic] Hussein Obama does not support Donald Trump."

"He hasn't had the accomplishments because he hasn't had the cooperation of the majority in Congress, and they need to get on board with him," said John Svec, who teaches high school government, standing on the side of the town's pool, which he manages during the summer.

Wow. Fascinating. We, as a country, need to help out places like this. They're part of America, too. To the bolded (emphasis mine), :'(
You can lead a horse to water...
And he'll find a way to drown himself. Is that how it goes?
Something like that

They're not "mostly harmless", though, they burnish the political star of the people who end up in power, whether the House, Senate, or even the Presidency. And in keeping with what you guys have been saying, I feel like one of the bet things that can be done is encouraging more people to get out and experience different, more diverse places (such as via college!) -- or help bring some of that there.

• Fire 1

And in keeping with what you guys have been saying, I feel like one of the bet things that can be done is encouraging more people to get out and experience different, more diverse places (such as via college!) -- or help bring some of that there.

You mean compromise your beliefs and also spend time with homosexuals, godless lefties and thugs?

I'm telling you. It's 99% impossible for outside rhetoric to have any dent on people like this. The only reason I got out of it is because I've had a status quo challenging, critical thinking brain since I was a toddler. I was blessed that way.

I mean, I don't think these are inherently worse people than anyone else. We're all products of our environment. The fact that you and so many others from places such as those got out and became who you are shows what's possible when people get that opportunity. And similarly, it surely must be possible for some of the elements of environments such as these to be changed over time. Reminds me a little of the Derek Black story (https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-white-flight-of-derek-black/2016/10/15/ed5f906a-8f3b-11e6-a6a3-d50061aa9fae_story.html?utm_term=.5902e14cc994).

I think just the flow of people to different places, but especially to our major metro areas, helps. That's something that can probably be promoted, and maybe more actively? For example, it seems like one of the things you were blessed with was the chance to spend a lot of your formative years in a number of different big cities.

If it's not possible, then that's a lot of country to give up on and a lot of consequences to endure as a result.

• Fire 1

I don't think they're any worse people either.

The people we're talking about are people like almost all of my family members. Thing is, though, sadly, so many don't want anything more or different. I'm admittedly cynical in all of this, but anecdotally all of the things that drove the rudder of my ship away from ignorance were internal motivations that finally found ways to manifest. What you do with someone who doesn't want to leave their town of 500, who doesn't want to entertain different life experiences, who doesn't care about any of that stuff, is beyond any idea I have.

• Fire 3

Wow. Fascinating. We, as a country, need to help out places like this. They're part of America, too. To the bolded (emphasis mine), :'([/quote

In defense of Nebraska Government teachers, every one I know, thinks Trump is an absolute idiot and believes he is giving their students good illustrations about the powers of the Presidency and it's role in a system of checks and balances.

• Fire 1

Wow. Fascinating. We, as a country, need to help out places like this. They're part of America, too. To the bolded (emphasis mine), :'([/quote

In defense of Nebraska Government teachers, every one I know, thinks Trump is an absolute idiot and believes he is giving their students good illustrations about the powers of the Presidency and it's role in a system of checks and balances.

• Fire 1

^That's reassuring to hear!

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/8/3/16078980/dan-savage-trump-pence-abstinence-sex-education

It’s galling — it’s counter-productive and people are going to get knocked up. And people are gonna sexually transmit infections ’cause all the research shows that people who have abstinence-only education may delay the onset of sexual activity by about six months to nine months, but they’re still sexually active before marriage. Just less likely to use birth control or any form of protection, so more likely to get pregnant or get an STI.

That said, what we talk about in this country as comprehensive sex ed, really isn’t. The sex ed that is out there that’s not abstinence-only tends to be what sex researchers and educators call “sex dread education,” because it just is all about sexually transmitted infections and unplanned pregnancies. Even if they’re offering information about birth control and other things, they’re still trying to scare kids out of being sexually active, which does not work. It all still sucks.

In less reassuring news, the Trump administration to nobody's surprise is seeking to once again funnel money towards promoting the national fear of sex. This will probably not have a positive effect.

This is an interview with Dan Savage, who also runs a rather aptly-named charity called ITMFA.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/02/stanford-is-paying-up-to-160000-for-students-to-get-their-mba.html?linkId=40557276

The scholarship, which was announced in the fall, pays the $160,000 for tuition and fees for up to three students over two years. Stanford already has similarly structured programs for students coming from Africa and India.

To be eligible for the scholarship, you have to have a connection to the Midwest. You can be a current resident of a Midwestern state, which Stanford defines as Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota or Wisconsin. Alternatively, you could have lived for three consecutive years in one of those states, have graduated high school in one of those states or have "experiences that demonstrate a strong commitment to, and interest in, the development of the region."

Once scholarship awardees graduate, they must then return to the Midwest "in a professional role that contributes to the region's economic development" within two years of graduating. By the time scholarship winners have been out of the Stanford MBA program for four years, they must have worked in the Midwest for two.

I think that's one example of what I had in mind for "helping out" -- encouraging the flow of human capital from, and back to, so-called 'flyover country'. This is, of course, both a private effort and at really small scale.

• Fire 1