Trump's America

zoogs

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/344107-joint-chiefs-chairman-no-change-in-transgender-policy-until-trump-sends

BREAKING: The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford — the highest ranking military official in the country — has announced that there will be no changes to the military’s transgender policy until President Trump sends an explicit order to Defense Secretary James Mattis, adding: “In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect.”

Sharp rebuke from Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I appreciate that there so many in power who are trying to stand for the right things, even as Glorious Leader Trump sets his sights on all the wrong ones.

My favorite part of his presidency has been how "inferiors" have consistently told him "Nah, f**k off".... :lol:

He gives them no choice. They can't follow through on his instructions unless they are written policies and directives. Then they have to give press briefings to answer about what just happened. They aren't doing it in a case of defiance. They literally have no other choice if they want to keep their career intact.

Pretty sure the judges who turned down his Muslim ban did it out of defiance.... and because it was unconstitutional.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/344107-joint-chiefs-chairman-no-change-in-transgender-policy-until-trump-sends

BREAKING: The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford — the highest ranking military official in the country — has announced that there will be no changes to the military’s transgender policy until President Trump sends an explicit order to Defense Secretary James Mattis, adding: “In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect.”

Sharp rebuke from Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I appreciate that there so many in power who are trying to stand for the right things, even as Glorious Leader Trump sets his sights on all the wrong ones.

My favorite part of his presidency has been how "inferiors" have consistently told him "Nah, f**k off".... :lol:

He gives them no choice. They can't follow through on his instructions unless they are written policies and directives. Then they have to give press briefings to answer about what just happened. They aren't doing it in a case of defiance. They literally have no other choice if they want to keep their career intact.

Pretty sure the judges who turned down his Muslim ban did it out of defiance.... and because it was unconstitutional.

Those two aren't comparable

I keep hearing that "America was duped by a con man." I'd argue that this is what many in America, mainly the GOP, wanted.

They wanted a birther, they want to yell "Build the wall!" they want to ban Muslims, they want to dismantle the EPA and pollute rivers, they want to take healthcare away. Even outspoken GOP senators like Sasse vote with Trump 95% of the time. Duped? I don't think so.

Speaking of dismantling the EPA and polluting rivers - that is talking point of the Dem party to divide. Repubs have exaggerated talking points and so do Dems. There was a very good interview of EPA chief Scott Pruitt this morning on a local station. The dismantling the EPA & polluting rivers is the last thing on his mind. But that is for another thread so therefore ... :backtotopic

I think there is a truth to the con man issue. You can tell by the level of regret in the voter polls that have come out, the low poll #s. The Repub congress is using Trump for their purposed while they have a R in the WH and they control congress. Snoopy the Dog could have been elected President and as long as he had an R the congress was going to use this to their advantage as long as they held that advantage. Unfortunately, the Repubs don't know how to lead and have screwed it up badly and screwed up their opportunity. They allowed Trump to carry the narrative instead of leading from strength of experience that they have had by their longevity in Congress. I still think if the smoking gun is found in the Russian mess, we'll see Congressional leadership drop Trump to save their own political skin and try to get Pence in the oval office as quickly as possible.

I keep hearing that "America was duped by a con man." I'd argue that this is what many in America, mainly the GOP, wanted.

They wanted a birther, they want to yell "Build the wall!" they want to ban Muslims, they want to dismantle the EPA and pollute rivers, they want to take healthcare away. Even outspoken GOP senators like Sasse vote with Trump 95% of the time. Duped? I don't think so.

Speaking of dismantling the EPA and polluting rivers - that is talking point of the Dem party to divide. Repubs have exaggerated talking points and so do Dems. There was a very good interview of EPA chief Scott Pruitt this morning on a local station. The dismantling the EPA & polluting rivers is the last thing on his mind. But that is for another thread so therefore ... :backtotopic

I think there is a truth to the con man issue. You can tell by the level of regret in the voter polls that have come out, the low poll #s. The Repub congress is using Trump for their purposed while they have a R in the WH and they control congress. Snoopy the Dog could have been elected President and as long as he had an R the congress was going to use this to their advantage as long as they held that advantage. Unfortunately, the Repubs don't know how to lead and have screwed it up badly and screwed up their opportunity. They allowed Trump to carry the narrative instead of leading from strength of experience that they have had by their longevity in Congress. I still think if the smoking gun is found in the Russian mess, we'll see Congressional leadership drop Trump to save their own political skin and try to get Pence in the oval office as quickly as possible.

No one is going to come right out and say, " I want to dismantle the EPA so that we can pollute rivers."

But actions taken....

Maybe some, but not me. I've leaned Conservative my entire life (I did vote for Obama twice, though), and the Trump presidency has made me sad, angry, embarrassed etc. You can be conservative on many issues, and still have the ability to care about your fellow man.

Well they sure have a funny way of showing it when they support a party that is actively working to do this and take healthcare away from millions.

Big-Iron-Discharge.jpg

Fru - what is the meaning of the picture other than it is a beautiful pic?? I'm I missing some hidden meaning tied to the topic :blink:

Regarding your statement: We have to look beyond the labels of conservatism from Republicanism - there are people in both the conservative movement and the Republican party who do desire a good health care plan. He even accepted the SC ruling on gay marriage as a done deal - move on. I think the Repubs missed the mark big time when they over looked conservative John Kasich. Frankly I missed it until the very end. I was Rubio. I think Kasich would have been the right guy to champion a bill that was both conservative (meeting financial goals that conservatives find important and embowering the free market to be more competitive in pricing etc) while still insuring the uninsured. Unfortunately the wrong guys are in charge right now in the Repub party. A Kasich/Rubio ticket would have been fantastic in my opinion. But Doris Day is singing her song - ka sa ra sa ra.(got to be old to figure that one out).

That "beautiful" picture shows coal mine waste being dumped into a water way.

http://www.mtwatershed.com/2017/01/31/gutting-stream-protection-rule-puts-communities-water-at-risk/

Anecdotal statements about "some republicans want healthcare for all" don't mean much to me. What a party is unified in doing and actively working towards tells me all I need to know.

• Fire 2

Maybe some, but not me. I've leaned Conservative my entire life (I did vote for Obama twice, though), and the Trump presidency has made me sad, angry, embarrassed etc. You can be conservative on many issues, and still have the ability to care about your fellow man.

Well they sure have a funny way of showing it when they support a party that is actively working to do this and take healthcare away from millions.

Big-Iron-Discharge.jpg

Fru - what is the meaning of the picture other than it is a beautiful pic?? I'm I missing some hidden meaning tied to the topic :blink:

Regarding your statement: We have to look beyond the labels of conservatism from Republicanism - there are people in both the conservative movement and the Republican party who do desire a good health care plan. He even accepted the SC ruling on gay marriage as a done deal - move on. I think the Repubs missed the mark big time when they over looked conservative John Kasich. Frankly I missed it until the very end. I was Rubio. I think Kasich would have been the right guy to champion a bill that was both conservative (meeting financial goals that conservatives find important and embowering the free market to be more competitive in pricing etc) while still insuring the uninsured. Unfortunately the wrong guys are in charge right now in the Repub party. A Kasich/Rubio ticket would have been fantastic in my opinion. But Doris Day is singing her song - ka sa ra sa ra.(got to be old to figure that one out).

That "beautiful" picture shows coal mine waste being dumped into a water way.

http://www.mtwatershed.com/2017/01/31/gutting-stream-protection-rule-puts-communities-water-at-risk/

Anecdotal statements about "some republicans want healthcare for all" don't mean much to me. What a party is unified in doing and actively working towards tells me all I need to know.

Now I see what you are talking about. Pretty environment but not pretty coal mine waste issue.

So how long before we see a Trump tweet denouncing the Boy Scotts :dunno What a jerk. The guy has NO manners or sense of what is appropriate.

“I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree,” Surbaugh said in a statement. “That was never our intent.”

The president’s bizarre remarks to 30,000 children contained (among other things) a mild curse word, attacks on his political opponents, a threat to fire one of his Cabinet members, a rambling account of his time at a cocktail party with “the hottest people in New York,” and what seemed to be an expression of gratitude for how many in the crowd (again, mostly children) voted to elect him president.

Surbaugh’s official apology came after numerous former Boy Scouts and Eagle Scouts expressed disgust that the 20th National Jamboree took on the tone of a Trump campaign rally, including chants of, “We love Trump!”

The Boys Scouts need to apologize for how pathetic the President of the United States was while talking to them.

Think about that for a minute.

If this weren't reality, it would be considered the most horrible comedy movie ever filmed.

:rant The Republican leadership in the House and Senate need to start standing up to this guy denounce his actions - sensor him or something. Then they need to take the lead in investigating the money laundering scheme we all know was going on - doesn't smell right even if we don't have the evidence yet (or do we - maybe Mueller has info and will be springing the trap soon). But this guy is not psychologically sound enough to lead this country. We are all literally in danger wt the mental, emotional midget 'leading' this country. What missteps could he take that will have dire consequences. To be honest, I've not been this scared about our leadership in all of my years on this earth. Even with the worse president in my life time, Carter, you still knew he had the best interest of the nation at heart. While my mom put the fear of God in us 7 kids sitting around the dining room table during the Cuban Missile Crisis (I remember her to this day saying "If the communist take over this country don't ever deny God!"), no President (even Mr Obama- who now I wish I wasn't so harsh towards) put me in mortal fear of them making a stupid move that placed all of us in harms way. Not so wt Trump. He is mentally unhinged and is capable of doing something really bad. He'll ignore his own cabinet and advisors to do his own, misguided thing. I've studied Presidents all of my life - first as an American History major in college (wish I was teaching it - but went the business school direction for my Masters) and as a lover of American history as a hobby. Harding was terrible, Carter - had a great heart, just not the right experience and there were a few other poor apples - but what we have here is a real bad apple. Even if some of his policies are OK, he, himself is the worse example of a man to lead this country.

• Fire 2

Thanks for that "rant" TG. I appreciate hearing about your perspective from years ago. I remember Carter and how stressed everybody was, but was too young to have an opinion about that.

You're completely right - this man is a danger. The fact that (right now) he has 3.5 more years to do his damage is scary as hell. I have spent every day for the past year swinging between hope and faith that there are check and balances and that there's no way he can continue his rule. What scares the crap out of me is that somehow with his absolute incompetence he has figured out a way to do what no other has - totally screw with the things that should be "unscrewable".

He's a one off, I think he has very real mental problems. He needs help. What I'm just horrified about is the GOP and their support, thinking that the trade offs of winning a few things is worth the risk of ruining our country.

One good thing, and I don't think we can underestimate this. His rule has america more politically engaged and educated. Yes, there are the absolute followers that do everything to "spite those big bad liberals", but I think we have to be hopeful that the youth that is now marching and writing their congress people, they're learning about the issues and forming opinions, they're learning about how our government works and how they can impact it and that they can't take things for granted.