Trump's America

zoogs

what happens if the democrats win big in the midterms?  the time between the elections and january when everyone is sworn in?   that will be a very dangerous time IMO.  transfer of power is suppose to be peaceful...but i am not sure that trump and his cabal will be interested in ceding some of the power they currently have.  does anyone think donnie would be gracious?  or will he be crying for an uprising in his name?  I am not all that ready to believe he won't go ballistic.

33 minutes ago, commando said:

what happens if the democrats win big in the midterms?  the time between the elections and january when everyone is sworn in?   that will be a very dangerous time IMO.  transfer of power is suppose to be peaceful...but i am not sure that trump and his cabal will be interested in ceding some of the power they currently have.  does anyone think donnie would be gracious?  or will he be crying for an uprising in his name?  I am not all that ready to believe he won't go ballistic.

I don't think he'll do that until it's him that loses an election (if he's still president in 2020). He badmouths his party members even when they vote with him. I do fear he will ask people to fight for him if he loses in 2020, after shouting to the rooftops that the election is a sham and trillions of people voted illegally. He might even refuse to leave, so he either gets dragged off or takes control of the would-be draggers. This all sounds loony but it doesn't take that much imagination to see this scenario.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, commando said:

As for the time between 2018 and 2020, Trump pretty much uses EOs like Obama was forced to for most of his presidency and see what survives the courts or actually has any teeth at all. Along with way more whining about obstructionism from Dems like he's already demonstrated plenty on social media.

Moiraine pretty neatly described what happens after a hypthetical 2020 loss.

If Dems win back Congress (or at least the House), he can whine all he wants, but he's going to face serious oversight from people other than Mueller. That's much more serious for him than obstructionism, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

As for the time between 2018 and 2020, Trump pretty much uses EOs like Obama was forced to for most of his presidency and see what survives the courts or actually has any teeth at all. Along with way more whining about obstructionism from Dems like he's already demonstrated plenty on social media.

Moiraine pretty neatly described what happens after a hypthetical 2020 loss.

If Dems win back Congress (or at least the House), he can whine all he wants, but he's going to face serious oversight from people other than Mueller. That's much more serious for him than obstructionism, IMO.

Yep. I actually didn't know much about committees until recently but (IIRC from my short read) having a majority in the House puts you in charge of all of them. The intelligence committee is a 13-9 split and they also get to have a Republican leader. Many things are going to change if the Democrats manage to pull it off.