Trump's America

zoogs

Here's this from Newser, who I've never heard of but cites some more legit sources in their piece, suggesting Obama and Trump were on roughly equal pace thus far. I tend to buy that - I think I saw a tweet earlier with a graphic comparing their paces as a line graph but I can' remember the source.

Regarding the GOP's stance on executive overreach, here is Paul Ryan saying that with Obama's orders, he was "exceeding his power," and reasons that Trump is simply "restoring the proper balance." Stunning hypocrisy from him and McConnell. Two men who our government would truly be better off without.

The argument that we're NOT experiencing a dramatic shift towards a fascist government is growing weaker by the day.

I know a few of us has preferred the term "totalitarian" for Trump -- I seem to recall both Knapp and ColoNoCo using that term instead.

Could either of you explain a bit why you think that is a more accurate descriptor? I guess i don't really know how totalitarianism stacks up with fascism.

The argument that we're NOT experiencing a dramatic shift towards a fascist government is growing weaker by the day.

I know a few of us has preferred the term "totalitarian" for Trump -- I seem to recall both Knapp and ColoNoCo using that term instead.

Could either of you explain a bit why you think that is a more accurate descriptor? I guess i don't really know how totalitarianism stacks up with fascism.

I use that term because the immediate reaction to any comparison with Nazi tactics is "BUT BUT GODWIN'S LAW" and that's the end of it.

By not using "Nazi" in your comparison you force those who would defend Trump to think a little more. And in the end, isn't that what we want?

• Fire 1

Scott Aaronson is a UT-Austin computer science faculty in the area of quantum computing.

First they came for the Iranians

So the upshot is that, until further notice, science departments at American universities can no longer recruit PhD students from Iran—a country that, along with China, India, and a few others, has long been the source of some of our best talent. This will directly affect this year’s recruiting season, which is just now getting underway. (If Canada and Australia have any brains, they’ll snatch these students, and make the loss America’s.)

But what about the thousands of Iranian students who are already here? So far, no one’s rounding them up and deporting them. But their futures have suddenly been thrown into jeopardy.

(...)

To the Trump regime, I make one request: if you ever decide that it’s the policy of the US government to deport my PhD students, then deport me first. I’m practically begging you: come to my house, arrest me, revoke my citizenship, and tear up the awards I’ve accepted at the White House and the State Department. I’d consider that to be the greatest honor of my career.

• Fire 4

This probably needs it's own thread. This article does a decent job of characterizing the differences. The key in mind at least right now, is this statement:

Totalitarianism regimes, on the other hand mainly use government propaganda machinery to publicize the cause of the nation and spread half-truth or false stories about failure of other systems and success of the regime.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/politics/differences-between-fascism-and-totalitarianism-ideologies-and-their-applications/

We could easily become fascist or be moving in that direction. Only time will tell.

EDIT: The difference between the two is similar to Leninist vs Stalinist Communism (or Maoist vs Stalinist). There is a ton more in common but for what differences do exist, they are marked distinctions...

• Fire 1

The company I worked for in California employed quite a few Persians. They were good people, fun, and not interested at all in religion or overthrowing America. They just wanted to build a website and make some money (and drive BMWs - it was an obsession).

I've had a fair impression of Iranians ever since. Yeah, the hardliners in Tehran are bad guys, but in their way they're not a lot different than our hardliners. And before the revolution (which most of my acquaintances say is the REAL Iran) it was a very progressive country. This form of radical Islam is kinda new-ish - at least, being in power is new.

• Fire 1

Scott Aaronson is a UT-Austin computer science faculty in the area of quantum computing.

First they came for the Iranians

So the upshot is that, until further notice, science departments at American universities can no longer recruit PhD students from Iran—a country that, along with China, India, and a few others, has long been the source of some of our best talent. This will directly affect this year’s recruiting season, which is just now getting underway. (If Canada and Australia have any brains, they’ll snatch these students, and make the loss America’s.)

But what about the thousands of Iranian students who are already here? So far, no one’s rounding them up and deporting them. But their futures have suddenly been thrown into jeopardy.

(...)

To the Trump regime, I make one request: if you ever decide that it’s the policy of the US government to deport my PhD students, then deport me first. I’m practically begging you: come to my house, arrest me, revoke my citizenship, and tear up the awards I’ve accepted at the White House and the State Department. I’d consider that to be the greatest honor of my career.

I'm good friends with an Iranian working on a PhD in computer science. The possibility that she might be deported is sickening.

• Fire 1

Does anyone know how many executive orders Obama signed in the first week on the job?

Quite a few. He signed at least two immediately for closing Gitmo. IIRC, Obama's reliance on executive orders did not arise until later in his presidency (for obvious reasons).

I think it's the content of the orders that is more interesting to me than their quantity or timing.

Sorry, I'm a little slow to respond...

According to White House archives, Obama signed six executive orders in his first week plus an additional eleven presidential memoranda. But for some reason the (official) Federal Register only shows five executive orders during that same time frame.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions

https://www.federalregister.gov/executive-orders/barack-obama/2009

According to the current White House website, Trump has signed four executive orders plus an additional eight presidential memoranda. The Federal Register only shows one for him since that database is apparently updated infrequently.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions

https://www.federalregister.gov/executive-orders/donald-trump/2017

Relations between the United States and Mexico appeared to be heading for crisis on Thursday after Enrique Peña Nieto cancelled a meeting with Donald Trump and the White House retaliated by suggesting a new 20% tax on imports from its southern neighbour to finance the construction of a border wall.

Such a tax would mark a new low in relations between the two countries, following a bitter election campaign in which Trump referred to Mexicans as “rapists” and insisted that the country would pay for the wall.

Link

• Fire 1

The company I worked for in California employed quite a few Persians. They were good people, fun, and not interested at all in religion or overthrowing America. They just wanted to build a website and make some money (and drive BMWs - it was an obsession).

I've had a fair impression of Iranians ever since. Yeah, the hardliners in Tehran are bad guys, but in their way they're not a lot different than our hardliners. And before the revolution (which most of my acquaintances say is the REAL Iran) it was a very progressive country. This form of radical Islam is kinda new-ish - at least, being in power is new.

I was amazed at how similar we really are to the Iranian people after watching shows and reading up. A great show to watch is Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknow where he travels to Iran. Extremely friendly people (although part of it may be the cameras), they have car clubs that drink beer (NA of course) and eat pizza just like us. They love American cars too. They have public parks and plazas where families go to hang out. They're just normal people, not some American hating society.

I made my dad watch the show (he hates that kind of show) and he loved it, it was a little eye opening for him too.

• Fire 1