Repealing the ACA under Trump

The Senate Finance Office is tallying calls from people who want a public hearing of the healthcare bill: (202) 224-4515. Just let them know you'd "like to add my name to the list of concerned citizens looking for a public hearing for the healthcare bill".

I just called, it was busy initially, called again and just gave them my zip. Took 10 seconds.

I tried calling at 5:00PM mountain time and got a recording saying their hours are until 6:30PM and the mailbox is full.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSuh

The politicians cannot fix the problem of costs. You're not wrong that it's the biggest problem. Washington cannot do anything about it.

To anyone in Washington who says that......BS!!!!!

What can they do?

Are any of the drug companies monopolies?

We can pretend that monopolies really are illegal.

We could also regulate them when they have unfair business practices or charge way more in the US than in other countries.

they will eventually succeed in repealing obamacare...or at least starving it to death. the question then becomes are we better off with or without the asificare proposal the republicans are pushing?

I for one will be fine with the new plan. It will end the Republican majorities in the houses, and finally wake the public up to doing something more drastic to control healthcare costs.

they will eventually succeed in repealing obamacare...or at least starving it to death. the question then becomes are we better off with or without the asificare proposal the republicans are pushing?

I for one will be fine with the new plan. It will end the Republican majorities in the houses, and finally wake the public up to doing something more drastic to control healthcare costs.

Will it though?

it will be unfortunate for many americans....my hope is that their sacrifices will not be in vain.

To RedDenver, El D et al. that want reasonable regulations to help drive down prices - like listing procedure prices, retooling the FDA to help consumers, importing prescription drugs...

These aren't bad ideas. I like them.

The problem is they hit a gigantic brick wall in DC. No Republican is going to vote for these policies. They do not care about helping people if it comes at the expense of corporate profits. You can see it in the way McConnell is crafting his bill. The one group he's allowed any input into the bill: Industry lobbyists. They put profit for them above all else. Got to maintain that free market magic, and you can't do that with onerous, evil regulation.

Take importing prescription drugs, for example. Here are the Senate and House proposals for doing so from this Congress. They're written by two ostensibly progressive politicians in Sanders and Elijah Cummings. Look at those cosponsorship lists. Not a SINGLE GOP member on either, even though they're both 20+ people long.

These GOP members simply aren't going to go for these solutions. They've got zero incentive to do so because they worship at the alter of the almighty Free Market, and going against the industry has the added drawback of not paying for reelection.

If you care about these types of reforms, stop sending these free market morons to DC. The free market isn't going to save our healthcare system.

They will spin it as being the Democrats fault. A majority of Republicans won't look away from Fox, and Fox won't give them reality.

I agree except gor one thing.

These ideas weren't done by the Dems either.

Nope. They made concessions when they passed the ACA. They cared about bipartisanship and getting advice from both sides. If they had to hit reset and do it again, I think they'd just tell the Republicans to pound sand instead of watering down the bill to try to include them.

But the Dems are at least proposing those ideas now. That tells me at least a few in their ranks see some of the problems in healthcare and they want to fix them. The GOP isn't doing that.

They will spin it as being the Democrats fault. A majority of Republicans won't look away from Fox, and Fox won't give them reality.

That is probably true for some, but it's hard to spin losing healthcare, or skyrocketing premiums, etc. can't blame Obamacare when it's no longer there.

I hope there is some percentage that wakes the hell up.

Obamacare was never much north of 50% at the peak of its popularity. The insurance groups care more about certainty than its gains. It wasn't without its share of problems, compromises, and gaps in coverage. It's hard to combat the general ambivalence or cynicism toward it.

It'd take a sustained propaganda effort to shift the mood, and nobody's into that but the liberals who would only be preaching to the choir. A fair share of whom are happy to jump on its flaws in favor of flashing Sanders camp credibility or speeding things to single payer.

This is a problem. We're not headed for waking up. We're ripe for the picking: a flawed, unpopular bill both sides are happy to criticize is exactly the kind of thing that can be replaced by something sweeping and sh**ty. How much worse than Obamacare is it, they'll say. Hey, this is inevitable, they'll say. Healthcare's hard, complicated, and expensive (all true).

I'm at a hotel in west-river SD in the continental breakfast area. I had to change the channel on the only TV from Fox News, because it was making me ill.

They had some guy on talking about why the Australian healthcare system (single payer) wouldn't work in America because:

1. Australia doesn't have an immigration problem. In the US there is a problem with immigrants being a drag on the system.

2. Americans like their freedom too much, so people wouldn't like it

3. If you like a "welfare state" then maybe you would like the Aussie system.

The guy had no credentials, but he DID have an Australian accent, so....