Ryker Fyfe Broken Wrist - Armstrong still out...

I really wish we had better QB recruiting over the last few years.

We've had great quarterback recruiting. We just haven't had them pan out, for whatever reason(s).

Great is a pretty generous way to describe our QB recruiting up until last year. I would say average at best.

Recruiting is measurable by results, and by that token it's been 8 years of 2 guys basically accounting for pretty good QB play with almost no real depth behind them.

Recruiting is measured by recruiting results, in which case I'm entirely comfortable calling it great.

Tommy Armstrong Jr, Johnny Stanton, and Zack Darlington were all very highly regarded and were our #1 picks on top of our board.

Tommy would be half of the 8yrs, Stanton fizzled under 2 staffs and transfered and Darlington was never going to be a starter regardless where he went because of injuries and we knew that before he graduated HS.

If you wanna measure it solely off of rankings before those players ever take the field then, sure.....our QB recruiting was just ACES!

Stanton fizzled under two staffs? What?

Tommy was a 5.7 3 star according to rivals with offers from Oregon and Ucla.

Stanton was a 5.7 3 star with offers from Oregon and Wisconsin.

Darlington was a 5.5 3 star with offers from Ohio State and West Virginia.

Part of recruiting is identifying difference makers. You say they were our top QB choice, but should they have been? "Great recruiting" is identifying difference makers (top level talent) and landing them. I'm not so sure these were top level talent guys, except Stanton.

According to 24/7:

Tommy Armstrong was a 4 star recruit ranked at .9003, the 6th ranked dual threat quarterback in the country - best offers from Baylor, A&M, TCU

Johnny Stanton was a 4 star recruit ranekd at .8946, the 11th ranked dual threat quarterback in the country, an Elite 11 quarterback and led everyone in the competition until leaving for a previous commitment with his 7-on-7 team. Best offers from UCLA, Oregon, Utah, Wisconsin.

Zach Darlington was a 3 star (4 per some services, I think consensus 4 before his senior season) recruit ranked .8737, the 12th ranked dual threat quarterback in the country - best offers from Ohio State, Miss State, Ole Miss, Va Tech, WVU, Auburn

Also pretty important that all of these guys committed very early and shut down their recruiting.

• Fire 1

With Darlington's concussion history, AJ Bush should've been prepared to play as a potential #2. Instead, he's basically shown the door.

That's inept coaching. My 2 cents. Not interested in arguing about it.

Spot on. Dual threat Quarterbacks are not valued by this staff. They ran off both Bush and Stanton.

A lot of QBs are high school dual threats. When they get to the college level they realize that one of the threats -- typically passing -- is not as big a threat as the other. At which point they're not so dual-threaty.

Stanton has been injured this season, but when allowed to start at UNLV he has proved to be a decent runner and a pretty bad passer in a system designed for him and facing defenses far less ferocious than the Big 10.

I wish him luck but hardly think Nebraska made a terrible mistake letting him go.

A.J. Bush wasn't likely to see the field this year and wanted a chance elsewhere. Bush and the Staff handled the situation appropriately.

Insert any high school position. Thats the issue with recruiting. Sometimes great ones pan out and some times they don't. Some times the diamond in the rough rises to the top. Its crap shoot. Unfortunately, it looks like some teams seem to have had better luck than us in getting more college "ready" kids in their ranks.
I wouldn't call it a crap shoot, it's more scouting. Obviously some of it is random but there are also schools churning out production and talent like nobody's business. Some kids are obvious home runs but for the ones that aren't, coaches scouting ability is the difference. Of course player progression is an important part as well but scouting is where it starts

With Darlington's concussion history, AJ Bush should've been prepared to play as a potential #2. Instead, he's basically shown the door.

Spot on. Dual threat Quarterbacks are not valued by this staff. They ran off both Bush and Stanton.

A lot of QBs are high school dual threats. When they get to the college level they realize that one of the threats -- typically passing -- is not as big a threat as the other. At which point they're not so dual-threaty.

Stanton has been injured this season, but when allowed to start at UNLV he has proved to be a decent runner and a pretty bad passer in a system designed for him and facing defenses far less ferocious than the Big 10.

I wish him luck but hardly think Nebraska made a terrible mistake letting him go.

A.J. Bush wasn't likely to see the field this year and wanted a chance elsewhere. Bush and the Staff handled the situation appropriately.

Insert any high school position. Thats the issue with recruiting. Sometimes great ones pan out and some times they don't. Some times the diamond in the rough rises to the top. Its crap shoot. Unfortunately, it looks like some teams seem to have had better luck scouting than us in getting more college "ready" kids in their ranks.
I wouldn't call it a crappy shoot, it's more scouting. Obviously some of it is random but there are also schools churning out production and talent like nobody's business. Some kids are obvious home runs but first the ones that aren't, coaches scouting ability is the difference. Of course player progression is an important part as well but scouting us where it starts

I'd agree. Swap out luck for scouting. Bama, Clemson, OSU etc......seem to do a great job scouting. Of course, playing at that level helps as winning helps recruiting tremendously.

Insert any high school position. Thats the issue with recruiting. Sometimes great ones pan out and some times they don't. Some times the diamond in the rough rises to the top. Its crap shoot. Unfortunately, it looks like some teams seem to have had better luck scouting than us in getting more college "ready" kids in their ranks.
I wouldn't call it a crappy shoot, it's more scouting. Obviously some of it is random but there are also schools churning out production and talent like nobody's business. Some kids are obvious home runs but first the ones that aren't, coaches scouting ability is the difference. Of course player progression is an important part as well but scouting us where it starts

I'd agree. Swap out luck for scouting. Bama, Clemson, OSU etc......seem to do a great job scouting. Of course, playing at that level helps as winning helps recruiting tremendously.
most definitely and you need a combination of home run day one guys and diamonds in the rough but luckily I think scouting for recruiting is a strength of our staff

Both Florida and LSU started QBs this year that were originally signed by .... Purdue.

It's not a total crap-shoot. But it's far from an exact science as well.

I'm not convinced OSU or Alabama are great at scouting. They each have SO much talent within 300 miles. They get multiple 5 stars and lots of 4 stars. When you get that many highly ranked recruits, there's a much higher probability that many of them will turn out to be good players. They have the luxury of not needing to be great at scouting.

Nebraska on the other hand is lucky to get one 4-star living in Nebraska and has to fight tooth and nail for the 4-stars outside the state. Nebraska needs to be great at scouting. Teams in recruiting hotbeds only need to be decent to good at it.

• Fire 1

Agree with Moiraine.

It's a numbers game.

If you are signing 1-2 high 4 to 5 star QBs per year, you have 6 of those type players going through your system every 4 years.

Now....if you sign one 4 star play every year, the odds are not in your favor.

Each team has 4 players that are mediocre to bad...well....the first school still has two studs.

No one is signing 2 4+ star QBs a year.

link?

If you need a link to know that no team is signing 2 four star QBs a year, I suggest you do your own research.

There may be an odd off year that a team does it, but for the most part, teams are taking 1 highly touted QB a year and maybe 1 other QB a year, at most.