What must the 2017 team do

The 2016 season is all but over. Sure we will go to a bowl, but this season ended on a disappointing note and making many of us feel like we have for the past decade...being mired in mediocrity. We just saw a Texas team fire their coach after failing to make fast enough progress after the 3rd season. With Riley entering his 3rd season next year, what must he and the 2017 team do in order for him to secure a 4th season? In my mind its pretty simple:

1. Win the Big Ten West

2. Be competitive in all games, including against all the top teams.

Getting into the weeds a bit, here are some specific position improvements I would like to see:

1. More dominant O-line play

2. Better passing accuracy

3. Greater pressure from the D-line resulting in more hurries and sacks

4. Better special teams overall (minus the FG game...Brown was solid this year)

• Fire 2

The offense will not be better than this season, and will probably take a step back. The o-linemen will be young and the skill positions lose the majority of the key contributors from this season. I don't see how people are thinking the offense will be better next season.

I honestly think the offense could be much better by the end of next season. We do have a lot of good young O-lineman, 3 decent RBs, and will have some good wideouts as well. We are currently 6th in the Big Ten in scoring with 26.8 points per game, and I think we could achieve at least this next year. There certainly are more unknowns heading into next year, but we also will not be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with a running QB that cannot throw.

I know a lot of emphasis has been on the offense getting better, but I don't see how the defense will stop having major meltdowns in 2-3 games again. Banker is just not a good coordinator, and the talented offenses are able to pick it apart.

The defense has me worried, I'm not sold on Banker. But I think we have some pretty good talent that will be much improved next season.

Calibraska means nothing for another two years. Don't be surprised most redshirt next season. Will they be ready to compete next year? Dont count on the Cali part to be Nebraska right away. They come here and redshirt and then develop, unless they are 100% an upgrade at any position.

Two years is the cycle for most average, above average talent. Exceptional talent makes it on the field in year one. What doing we know for sure about talent incoming?