What must the 2017 team do

I'm not sure how accurate the list is but enough players from this group need to take leadership and change the expectations for the team.

Newby, Marcus LB 6-01 235 Jr. North Potomac Md.
Jones, Chris DB 6-00 180 Jr. Jacksonville Fla.
Kalu, Joshua CB 6-01 185 Jr. Houston Texas
Joseph, Boaz DB 6-01 190 Jr. Weston Fla.
Lee, Tanner QB 6-04 205 Jr. Destrehan La.
Pierson-El, De’Mornay WR 5-09 185 Jr. Alexandria Va.
Williams, Kieron S 6-00 190 Jr. Shreveport La
Taylor, Adam IB 6-02 210 Jr. Katy Texas
Bailey, Christian WR 5-11 205 Jr. San Clemente Calif.
Brown, Drew PK 5-11 180 Jr. Southlake Texas
Jordan, Harrison FB 5-10 230 Jr. Omaha Neb.
McNitt, Luke TE 6-02 240 Jr. Kearney Neb
Natter, A.J. DE 6-05 250 Jr. Milton Wis
Evans, Erik DE 6-03 255 Jr. Waverly Neb
Weber, Chris LB 6-03 220 Jr. Omaha Neb.
Lopez, Joel DL 6-02 260 Jr. Saint Charles Ill.
Hannon, Zach OL 6-05 305 Jr. Kansas City Mo.
Johnson, Dwayne Jr. OL 6-06 280 Jr. Houston Texas
Knevel, David OL 6-09 310 Jr. Brantford Ont.
Classen, Brett WR 6-02 205 Jr. Medina Minn.
Rahn, Gabe WR 6-01 190 Jr. Le Mars Iowa
Hoppes, Tyler TE 6-04 240 Jr. Lincoln Neb.
Ketter, Connor TE 6-05 245 Jr. Norfolk Neb.
Starting with off season training they need to push the team to be the best that they can be. No slacking off, never give up, improve every day. Once the season rolls around translate the hard work and attitude onto the field. Believe that they can be competitive in and win every game. That's all I need to see. The W's will likely follow and I'd rather a # of W's not be a team goal. Maybe Tanner Lee has enough skills the team will start to believe they can achieve more and will get to the next level. I don't see enough wrong with the coaching to think a change would do any good. It's up to the players to get out of this rut.
  • Fire 1

This is our complete schedule next year:
09/02 Arkansas State Lincoln
09/09 Oregon Eugene
09/16 N. Illinois Lincoln
09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln
09/29 #Illinois Champaign
10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln
10/14 #Ohio State Lincoln
10/28 #Purdue W. Lafayette
11/04 #Northwestern Lincoln
11/11 #Minnesota Minneapolis
11/18 #Penn State State College
11/24 #Iowa Lincoln
Anything less than 9-3 will mean that this set of coaches can't get it done here at Nebraska (barring serious injuries to key players). even 9-3 will probably make me stop expecting success with Mike riley.
We get both wisconsin and iowa at home. OSU is also in lincoln, but i doubt we can win that with riley as motivator. our toughest away games are at penn state and oregon. i would hope/i think a decent staff with nebraska's talent should be able to split those games.

09/09 Oregon Eugene
09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln
10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln
11/24 #Iowa Lincoln

Anything less than 9-3 will mean that this set of coaches can't get it done here at Nebraska (barring serious injuries to key players). even 9-3 will probably make me stop expecting success with Mike riley.
We get both wisconsin and iowa at home. OSU is also in lincoln, but i doubt we can win that with riley as motivator. our toughest away games are at penn state and oregon. i would hope/i think a decent staff with nebraska's talent should be able to split those games.

We should not lose a single game with that schedule.

Sadly, being blasted by a below-average Iowa team does not give me much hope for these coaches. Expecting these coaches to win championships and get in the palyoffs is like expecting a bull to start producing milk. It aint going to happen. I hope we can go 10-2 or 11-1 and be competitive in our loses, like Wisconsin was this year, but the reality is that we are looking at an 8-4 or 7-5 season at best.

• Fire 1

09/09 Oregon Eugene
09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln
10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln
11/24 #Iowa Lincoln

..... You, and people like you, are delusional.

Ohio St is winning the playoff this year. And they will have zero problem pasting us next year. I'd bet you a year's wages.

09/09 Oregon Eugene
09/23 #Rutgers Lincoln
10/07 #Wisconsin Lincoln
11/24 #Iowa Lincoln

..... You, and people like you, are delusional.

Ohio St is winning the playoff this year. And they will have zero problem pasting us next year. I'd bet you a year's wages.

I missed tOSU when I looked at the schedule. I will change my answer and say other than that game, we should not lose.

Beat both Wisconsin and Iowa

Win the West

For the love of God find an identity on offense and stick with it

Don't force Lee or O'Brien to throw 35+ times if they are not reliable in that area (example Armstrong)

Oline and Dline need to be more nasty, aggressive and physical coming out of their stances.

Both of them should be far better than Tommy in the passing game. Tommy is an athlete playing the qb position. Lee and O'Brien are quarterbacks and should be fine throwing 60+ times per game if needed.

I honestly don't think it matters what happens next year. Even if we take a step backwards -- which is likely, with our current talent and next year's schedule -- no way will Eichorst admit that his hire wasn't the right one.

Even if Eichorst is considering that, we wouldn't hear about it next year. The only scenario I see Eichorst hiring a new coach before the end of year 4 is if Riley tanks it. If Riley tanks it, he's gone.

We all know that this is Riley's swan song. He is getting a chance to coach at a power 5 school with tradition. We all know that he will not remove anyone from his staff. Banker and Langsdorf are not capable of winning more than 9 games a year, whether here or at Beaver U.

The upside is that I think Riley will see the writing on the wall after next season and retire. I think that the pressure of coaching here is going to get to him. I don't think his metal will continue. I think he is a good guy, and can coach football, but not at this level. I think if he could win another 9 games next year, he has us on track to become more relevant.

I just don't see that he will ever get us to the Big 10 title game and beyond. He definately won't with his coordinators presently. I new d-co would help ease some questions.

I agree with everything you said except MR retiring. At his age, and with his good health, he is looking at a long retirement. I wouldn't expect him to give up the money on his contract. IMO, he will have to fired to get him to leave.