Lamar Jackson (Louisville)

Atbone95

If I remember correctly, and it's very possible I don't, didn't he commit to Louisville before bo was fired?

Ha ha! Sure enough, committed on 8/30/2014. Good catch HuskerJax! LINK :lol:

/thread

With all due respect, that has no significance to the thread, and if you had read my comments you would understand why.

Just putting it out there, NO quarterback can develop without decent offensive line play. Langs could develop a QB all he wants. But if he running for his life and constantly getting hit, it won't matter.

I actually thought the o-line did a pretty good job in pass protection. It was the lack of push in the run game that bothered me.

cornstar said: West coast offense....that doesn't bode well for our future.

Yeah, I know right?! Look at Alabama and that terrible West Coast Offense they run. Complete disaster!

My sarcasm aside, any offense will work if you recruit the right players needed to run it. Mike Riley's biggest issue isn't his style offense, it's his focus within that offense. His focus needs to be more on the physical, downhill, running. Think about the Dallas Cowboys with Aikman, Smith, Irving, Novacek, etc. Think about Green Bay with Ahman Green, the Seattle Seahawks the year they won the Super Bowl.

My point here is to NOT devolve this into a talent discussion. Rather, to highlight that those teams, and certain college teams, run exceptional west coast offenses and they are able to do so because they are physical and run the ball. Maybe not to "95 NU standards" but they still run.

Mike Riley, for as much as I like him, is probably never going to win the Big 10 by averaging 130 rushing per game. I do not mind a balanced offense at all. But we need 225-250 yards on the ground (at the minimum) every single game.

Ah yes....wait till next year.....

There is already a built in excuse for it anyhow.....

Come on...Tommy Armstrong was basically a finished product by the time Riley and Langsdorf got here.

What are we paying Langsdorf hundreds of thousands of dollars for if he can't coach up the guys we have? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Contrary to the beliefs of some, good coaches can and do coach up players regardless of whether the player is a prefect fit, or if the player was recruited by said coach, especially when they have had 2 full years to work together.

But, as a QB, Tommy's game fits a west coast passing offense about as well as a fat John Goodman does a size 30 waist jeans.

West coast offense....that doesn't bode well for our future.

I was so worried when cm got banned that nobody would step up to replace him.

CM was banned?

Come on...Tommy Armstrong was basically a finished product by the time Riley and Langsdorf got here.

What are we paying Langsdorf hundreds of thousands of dollars for if he can't coach up the guys we have? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Contrary to the beliefs of some, good coaches can and do coach up players regardless of whether the player is a prefect fit, or if the player was recruited by said coach, especially when they have had 2 full years to work together.

But, as a QB, Tommy's game fits a west coast passing offense about as well as a fat John Goodman does a size 30 waist jeans.

CM was banned?

Ah man, I didn't wanna be the one to have to break it to you. .

LET'S RILE SOME PEOPLE UP!!

Just thought it was worth noting for people who don't follow recruiting or just started recently:

Lamar Jackson had us in his final two in 2014. We fired our head coach. He goes to Louisville.

Hindsight is 20/20...

Sorry, but you're full of sh#t. He visited here, and chose Louisville well before Bobo was fired. Bobo and Timmy Beck had Kevin Dillman as their QB, who struggled at the JV level in Texas as a senior, and ended up signing with North Texas as a TE. You want to get some people riled up, let's talk about Bobo and Timmy never offering NU legacy Joe Burrow, who will likely be tOSU's starting QB next year.

Beck helped Burrow land at OSU but I doubt he starts next year unless he beats out JT Barrett. Burrow will be fighting for the starting job in 2018 with Haskins and Martell.

CM was banned?

Ah man, I didn't wanna be the one to have to break it to you. .

I take a back seat to no poster in my harassment of CM, but I don't recall anything that crossed the line into banishment.

Dude was predictable but hardly inflammatory. Easy to ignore if so desired. Fun to tweak if so inclined. Not entirely wrong, sometimes.

Now how will I score my Reputation Points?

• Fire 1

Just thought it was worth noting for people who don't follow recruiting or just started recently:

Lamar Jackson had us in his final two in 2014. We fired our head coach. He goes to Louisville.

Hindsight is 20/20...

Yea, almost none of that is true.

cornstar said: West coast offense....that doesn't bode well for our future.

Yeah, I know right?! Look at Alabama and that terrible West Coast Offense they run. Complete disaster!

My sarcasm aside, any offense will work if you recruit the right players needed to run it. Mike Riley's biggest issue isn't his style offense, it's his focus within that offense. His focus needs to be more on the physical, downhill, running. Think about the Dallas Cowboys with Aikman, Smith, Irving, Novacek, etc. Think about Green Bay with Ahman Green, the Seattle Seahawks the year they won the Super Bowl.

My point here is to NOT devolve this into a talent discussion. Rather, to highlight that those teams, and certain college teams, run exceptional west coast offenses and they are able to do so because they are physical and run the ball. Maybe not to "95 NU standards" but they still run.

Mike Riley, for as much as I like him, is probably never going to win the Big 10 by averaging 130 rushing per game. I do not mind a balanced offense at all. But we need 225-250 yards on the ground (at the minimum) every single game.

To be fair, I really don't know much about Bama's offense, but a goggle search pulled up an article from 2015 calling it a "pro style spread," whatever that means.

My fear is that we tried a west coast offense before and it failed with alleged superior talent.

I agree that having a strong running game would be great, but I wouldn't bet on having one with Langsdorf as OC. Just look at who they are recruiting, they want to run a Daffy Duck offense where WR screens and jet sweep are the go to plays. 300 yards rushing per game won't happen under this OC.

• Fire 1

Lots of misunderstanding about the WCO out there. It was never an "air raid" offense. It was actually Bill Walsh's alternative to Don Coryell's air raid offense. Given a quarterback with a weak arm, Walsh designed an offense that took advantage of short, high-percentage passes to spread the field and open up vertical rushing and passing lanes. It had a bigger playbook, but that was the idea: defenses couldn't line up against your bread & butter play because you had too many of them. There was no rule you couldn't run the ball in the WCO. You'd run like crazy if the defense allowed it. But you'd also consider a 5 yard pass to your RB the equivalent of a 5 yard run because you weren't keeping some weird score about the run/pass ratio.

The concept may have seemed sophisticated but the plays themselves were all about efficiency. And maybe a little playground ball. If you have a fullback out there doing lead blocks, design a play that lets him keep going into the secondary and throw a deep ball to Tom Rathman. Why not? Walsh loved Nebraska players because they knew how to block and they thrived in the WCO.

The WCO was in vogue for 20 years. These days nobody runs it and everybody runs it because a lot of the WCO innovations have merely been absorbed in other offenses like the spread.

Actually, the WCO was designed to give lesser talent a strategic advantage.

• Fire 1

Lots of misunderstanding about the WCO out there. It was never an "air raid" offense. It was actually Bill Walsh's alternative to Don Coryell's air raid offense. Given a quarterback with a weak arm, Walsh designed an offense that took advantage of short, high-percentage passes to spread the field and open up vertical rushing and passing lanes. It had a bigger playbook, but that was the idea: defenses couldn't line up against your bread & butter play because you had too many of them. There was no rule you couldn't run the ball in the WCO. You'd run like crazy if the defense allowed it. But you'd also consider a 5 yard pass to your RB the equivalent of a 5 yard run because you weren't keeping some weird score about the run/pass ratio.

The concept may have seemed sophisticated but the plays themselves were all about efficiency. And maybe a little playground ball. If you have a fullback out there doing lead blocks, design a play that lets him keep going into the secondary and throw a deep ball to Tom Rathman. Why not? Walsh loved Nebraska players because they knew how to block and they thrived in the WCO.

The WCO was in vogue for 20 years. These days nobody runs it and everybody runs it because a lot of the WCO innovations have merely been absorbed in other offenses like the spread.

Take your information and knowledge and geeeet out! It's WAY easier to assume WCO is only about throwing 80% of the time for long gains!

IMO, our game plan against Maryland was classic WCO. Short, high percentage passes used to spread the field and force the D to cover sideline to sideline. Nothing fancy, just get the ball to the playmakers in space. Mix in power run i.e. San Fran with Tom, Roger etc and you have a winner. Agree its not some Mike Leach air raid system.

• Fire 1

IMO, our game plan against Maryland was classic WCO. Short, high percentage passes used to spread the field and force the D to cover sideline to sideline. Nothing fancy, just get the ball to the playmakers in space. Mix in power run i.e. San Fran with Tom, Roger etc and you have a winner. Agree its not some Mike Leach air raid system.

I'm a Niners fan and I guess it all depends on what your definition of a classic west coast offense is.

What we saw during the Maryland game isn't anything close to what I recall Bill Walsh running with the Niners back in the 80s.

Take your information and knowledge and geeeet out! It's WAY easier to assume WCO is only about throwing 80% of the time for long gains!

I'm not saying that Guy is wrong in his post, but Gruden and Callahan utilized the vertical passing game more in Oakland than a conventional west coast offense would.

It's not about throwing 80% of the time, it's about balance for the sake of balance even when you don't have to have that balance. We see that with our current OC.

Hindsight is 20/20...

Sorry, but you're full of sh#t. He visited here, and chose Louisville well before Bobo was fired. Bobo and Timmy Beck had Kevin Dillman as their QB, who struggled at the JV level in Texas as a senior, and ended up signing with North Texas as a TE. You want to get some people riled up, let's talk about Bobo and Timmy never offering NU legacy Joe Burrow, who will likely be tOSU's starting QB next year.

Beck helped Burrow land at OSU but I doubt he starts next year unless he beats out JT Barrett. Burrow will be fighting for the starting job in 2018 with Haskins and Martell.

IIRC he decommitted or almost decommitted when Beck was hired, and Urban went and ensured he would stay. I could swear that this was the case.