Class Ranking Question

How many guys are we taking this class? I have seen projections where if NU only takes 21-22 recruits that the roster will be well below the 85 scholarship limit. I understand wanting to reward walk-ons, but being below the 85 scholarship limit is something that Bo was highly criticized (which I agreed with).

22-23 has been the number. There have been rumblings that coaches will oversign by 3 if we get late adds from our top guys.

How many guys are we taking this class? I have seen projections where if NU only takes 21-22 recruits that the roster will be well below the 85 scholarship limit. I understand wanting to reward walk-ons, but being below the 85 scholarship limit is something that Bo was highly criticized (which I agreed with).

22-23 has been the number. There have been rumblings that coaches will oversign by 3 if we get late adds from our top guys.

Will that put NU at or near the 85 scholarship number?

IIRC, 22/23 (I think it's 23) would put us at 85. 25/26 would put us over by 3 and we'd have to get down to 85 by fall camp.

2018 class is shaping up to be tiny. Only 14-16 scholly guys will graduate text year.

Riley has said 22 pretty consistently for a couple months but that doesn't seem to include any over-signing. There has been speculation by media guys that it's kind of a ploy to play the "filling-up" card but that was before we lost a couple guys. I was wondering if it was kind of that but more along the lines of we're shooting for 22 but that way we'll have a couple spots for the guys who aren't announcing until NSD.

I have us at 63 scholarships currently on campus. That would be 22 open spots for this class, like Riley said. But we can actually sign up to 25. Both those numbers would go up for anyone else who might transfer or whatever. I would think we'd find out about that by this time next week after classes start. Also might be a couple guys who might not return for their fifth year (Hannon, Johnson, Taylor) but I'm not sure about the timing on those guys.

Riley has said 22 pretty consistently for a couple months but that doesn't seem to include any over-signing. There has been speculation by media guys that it's kind of a ploy to play the "filling-up" card but that was before we lost a couple guys. I was wondering if it was kind of that but more along the lines of we're shooting for 22 but that way we'll have a couple spots for the guys who aren't announcing until NSD.

I have us at 63 scholarships currently on campus. That would be 22 open spots for this class, like Riley said. But we can actually sign up to 25. Both those numbers would go up for anyone else who might transfer or whatever. I would think we'd find out about that by this time next week after classes start. Also might be a couple guys who might not return for their fifth year (Hannon, Johnson, Taylor) but I'm not sure about the timing on those guys.

I was thinking the same three guys may not play next year, and man would that make it a tiny senior class. Half of this year's.

While I think the 'star rankings' as issued and averaged, for example, by the several 'pros' in the college football recruiting realm are about as good a general way of comparing classes as any out there, I can find fault with them on several levels.

For example, rating players from 1 star (I assume they do assign one star to the lowest 'rated' players but I don't recall seeing one rated a 1 star) upto 5 stars is simply far too few strata or levels to be reasonably meaningful. I would suggest they should rate players on a 1 to 20 scale or something so that there is more indicated difference amongst players. I believe many also assign a numerical rating as for example, player x is the #21 rated DT. Perhaps the better way to grade an entire class would be to take the numerical rating of each player and add them up and divide by the number of recruits to yield an average player rating such as 21.5?

Even doubling the number of stars from 5 to 10 would help.

Secondly, this has been mentioned already by me and others just a few posts up that the value of a class to the program depends on the degree to which the recruits 'fill the areas/positions of need'. Signing the top 15 WRs in the country might be fabulous in creating a 4.5 average star rating but will not produce a good football team, presumably. It depends on the depth and positions where a talent upgrade is most critical to making the future teams better and more competitive. I feel this is the most important concern for Nebraska. We badly need linemen and LBs and RB and QBs. Are we getting great QBs with POB, Gebbia and Lee? I don't know. Maybe all three are very fine 4.5 star type players. If so, we are suddenly well stocked at QB after having been devoid of quality depth this fall.

We lack quality and depth all over the field by some measures, with exception perhaps of WR and QB if they guys we have are as good as advertised.

We need two quality RBs and one or more FBs. We need 7 offensive linement and 3 DTs and 3 DEs and 3 LBs and couple top notch corners and a safety. It does not appear we are going to fill those needs with lots of stars this next month. So, probably not going to get the kind of super class we need no matter what the final 'rating' or ranking maybe.

While I think the 'star rankings' as issued and averaged, for example, by the several 'pros' in the college football recruiting realm are about as good a general way of comparing classes as any out there, I can find fault with them on several levels.

For example, rating players from 1 star (I assume they do assign one star to the lowest 'rated' players but I don't recall seeing one rated a 1 star) upto 5 stars is simply far too few strata or levels to be reasonably meaningful. I would suggest they should rate players on a 1 to 20 scale or something so that there is more indicated difference amongst players. I believe many also assign a numerical rating as for example, player x is the #21 rated DT. Perhaps the better way to grade an entire class would be to take the numerical rating of each player and add them up and divide by the number of recruits to yield an average player rating such as 21.5?

Even doubling the number of stars from 5 to 10 would help.

It's been much more refined than just the star rating for some time. The 247 Composite uses a scoring system that goes out four decimal places. Most guys are between .8000 and .9800