Allow Redshirts & Transfers to Play in Bowl Games?

Mavric

The idea of allowing transfers and redshirts to play in bowl games is being floated, and not just by national media types who are bored with the bowl matchups. Nebraska coach Mike Riley told me last week that the concept is being discussed within the American Football Coaches Association.

Is Riley in favor? He called the idea “interesting.”

“A guy like Tanner, or a guy like Patrick O’Brien could be available to appear in the game and not burn their redshirt?” Riley said. “That would really be interesting. It would immediately add about 25 guys to your roster.

“It’s funny, we talked about that as a staff the other day.”

It’s a terrific idea.

Understand, the reasoning that this would make some bowl matchups more interesting is a bit of a stretch. One or two redshirts aren’t going to make some games more watchable nationally. They would add more intrigue — in some cases a lot more — to the fans of that team.

OWH

• Fire 2

I think it's a great idea. Exclude the playoff teams and go for it. Actually, I wasn't sure redshirts were prohibited from playing in the bowls. I almost asked that very question on HB a couple weeks ago but I didn't want to look stupid. Figured it would come up naturally considering our current issues at quarterback. The bowl would be a great opportunity to get Lee and POB an early segue into next season.

I think it's a great idea. Exclude the playoff teams and go for it. Actually, I wasn't sure redshirts were prohibited from playing in the bowls. I almost asked that very question on HB a couple weeks ago but I didn't want to look stupid. Figured it would come up naturally considering our current issues at quarterback. The bowl would be a great opportunity to get Lee and POB an early segue into next season.

I completely agree. Given that the 4 playoff bowls are the only thing that really matters in the big picture.

I think you have to separate redshirts and transfers for this rule.

My memory of this is a little rusty, but I believe mid-season basketball transfers can play after the following mid-season. Applied to football, if a guy transferred here immediately after their 2015 football season, they have now completed the Spring and Fall semesters at Nebraska, and they should be able to play.

Redshirts are treated the same in basketball. However, early enrollees in football make it interesting.