Can we retire the term "Black Shirts"?

I feel like every time we use the words "Black Shirts" to describe our defense in the last 13+ years (other than Suh's senior year), we devalue this great tradition and we disrespect the teams of the 90s that embodied the "Black Shirts" tradition. Facing the black shirts used to strike fear in any opponent. Nowadays, teams can't wait to set records on our defense. It is not fair or just to label our defense as the black shirts because neither the coaches nor the players have embodied the true meaning of the words. Let's face it, based on the horrible tackling we have seen thus far, Banker will not be the one that will restore this great defense tradition to its glory days. So, in honor of those teams that truly deserved being called "Black Shirts", let us just retire these words and not devalue them any more.

• Fire 1

The term really reflects the nickname of the 'starters' on the defense and was born out of a practice of using slipover black practice jerseys for the players back in the early '60s to distinguish defenders from the offense in scrimmages. Over time, it came to be synonimous for tough defense in general.

I think it would be a great slap in the face of the many good defensive players over the decades who earned their blackshirts (I would say it is one word and not two ???) if we were to 'retire' the term. I suggest the better alternative is to simply demand more and raise the expecations for the current and future defenders. I believe Pelini may have tried to amend some of the blackshirts' 'tradition' although I am not sure there really is any set form of process and procedures except doing what they did the years before.

Are these recent teams living up to the highest standards of 'the Blackshirt' tradition? I guess not but I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that only defenses that finish in the top ten statistically or that hold their opponents to less than 60 yards of offense per quarter or less than 10 points a game 'qualify' as Blackshirts.

• Fire 1

I also would agree with 84.......if I cared anymore what they called the defense. The only applicable words are soft and non-aggressive. I just cringe when game announcers use the term "blackshirts" and then we proceed to get 40 or 50+ hung on us.

I've made the argument numerous times that Blackshirts simply refers to our defensive starters and that it does not only refer to the type of defense our best mid 90's teams played. They were the Blackshirts long before that and they were not always that dominant. But anymore I just don't care what they are called and would prefer it wasn't the Blackshirts as it doesn't seem they are worthy of any type of special name that doesn't involve the color pink. I don't blame the players themselves as much as I do the scheme.

I also would agree with 84.......if I cared anymore what they called the defense. The only applicable words are soft and non-aggressive. I just cringe when game announcers use the term "blackshirts" and then we proceed to get 40 or 50+ hung on us.

I've made the argument numerous times that Blackshirts simply refers to our defensive starters and that it does not only refer to the type of defense our best mid 90's teams played. They were the Blackshirts long before that and they were not always that dominant. But anymore I just don't care what they are called and would prefer it wasn't the Blackshirts as it doesn't seem they are worthy of any type of special name that doesn't involve the color pink. I don't blame the players themselves as much as I do the scheme.

The defense was called the Blackshirts long before the run in the 90's started. It was even called the Blackshirts when our defense had years that weren't all that great.