What's Behind the Staff Changes

Mavric

Its far from trolling. Ive been a lurker for years. Certain people i havent seen in a while, that were bashing people a few years ago when people were calling for Bo's head, all of a sudden show back up? Its amazing that that those same few people are now all of a sudden start looking for conspiracies concerning the AD. It was annoying 2 years ago, and still is today

Sorry if it looks like trolling, wasnt my intent. Just tired of the "AD is the devil" BS, and im not the only person.

Have to admit, that gets really old.

I disagree with those who think someone was in Riley's ear telling him to make changes. Why? Because at this point in Riley's career why would he fire a guy who has been a longtime friend and longtime assistant? I think Riley is in the part of his career where if he didn't want to get rid of Banker he would have said No to whoever was trying to get him to make the move and face whatever consequences may be the result of that and if it happens to be a sinking ship, then he would choose to go down with the ship with his loyal assistants and friends.

With that said, I think this makes a case for the argument that Riley is here to achieve the ultimate goal and he still see's that goal being achieved. I think this move makes a case that Riley is here to win or at least do his best to win championships.

He's in a great situation with an administration that supports him fully, a great program, $ - why would you stick with what obviously isn't working? You don't play collegiate ball and then coach for 40 years at that level without being competitive. Nice is one thing, and I for one really appreciate it in our leader, but nice people can and do still want to win. You can fire someone nicely.

For all we know he came and agreed to bring his $300k friends to see if they could do it and when they couldn't he gets more resources to get someone who can.

Its far from trolling. Ive been a lurker for years. Certain people i havent seen in a while, that were bashing people a few years ago when people were calling for Bo's head, all of a sudden show back up? Its amazing that that those same few people are now all of a sudden start looking for conspiracies concerning the AD. It was annoying 2 years ago, and still is today

Sorry if it looks like trolling, wasnt my intent. Just tired of the "AD is the devil" BS, and im not the only person.

Have to admit, that gets really old.

You have it all wrong. Harvey is the devil and Eichorst is the anti christ.

• Fire 1

Because at this point in Riley's career why would he fire a guy who has been a longtime friend and longtime assistant?

This is exactly why I think it's pretty likely that he got a lot of pressure to do it. It's not like Oregon State's defenses were lighting the world on fire. He had chances to fire Banker there. He didn't. When he came here, that would have been the perfect opportunity to say "I'm going a different direction." He didn't. Seems like that makes it pretty likely that someone else finally got him to look at things and say "it's not going to get better unless you do something about it."

• Fire 1

Because at this point in Riley's career why would he fire a guy who has been a longtime friend and longtime assistant?

This is exactly why I think it's pretty likely that he got a lot of pressure to do it. It's not like Oregon State's defenses were lighting the world on fire. He had chances to fire Banker there. He didn't. When he came here, that would have been the perfect opportunity to say "I'm going a different direction." He didn't. Seems like that makes it pretty likely that someone else finally got him to look at things and say "it's not going to get better unless you do something about it."

agree, make sense....Riley is too easy going to fire his buddie.

Riley probably thought give Banker a shot with the talent difference and resources that Nebraska had to offer compared to Oregon State. Also, Bankers defenses in the mid 2000's at OSU were decent. It didn't work out and Riley saw the need to make things better. Again, a friend and assistant coach of 20 years, at this stage of his coaching career, I think if Riley didn't think he could accomplish championships at Nebraska he would have not made any changes even if they were suggested and just gone out with his friends.

agree, make sense....Riley is too easy going to fire his buddie.

You have no idea. You don't know what motivates him, how he functions when he's not on the field in front of 92k or at a press conference. Perhaps at OSU if he fired his adequate buddy they couldn't get better for the minimal cash they could offer - not the case here.

You don't stay in coaching this long without being competitive. Let's give him credit for making the move, as well as the action on Read and look forward. It doesn't matter if it was his choice, if he was urged to do it or if he was told to do it. He did it. Why spend any more time trying to speculate.

I kind of like how this caught most people in the organization off guard. This type of a move puts a lot of pressure on people to perform, and that's how it should be. Mike's sending a message that were not going to go forward by just "getting the job done." He wants people in the organization to know that they better excel at what they do, or they will not be at Nebraska.

Riley is running things much differently at Nebraska than he did at Oregon State, according to multiple sources. There is a perception that Devaney is also heavily involved in the decision making of this program under the directive of Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst. The more people I've talked to, it's become clear to me that Devaney has had a heavy influence in some of these decisions.

The pressure to win and win big is real. Eichorst knows it. He knows that 9-4 runner-up seasons in the Big Ten West won't get it done. NU has the most money, best facilities, biggest stadium and the richest tradition by far of any of the other schools in the West. This program has to get back to a place where they can beat teams like Wisconsin and Iowa on a regular basis. Riley is 0-4 against them in two seasons. The Huskers are 1-5 overall vs. the Badgers since joining the Big Ten and have lost three of their last four to Iowa after winning their first two years in the Big Ten against the Hawkeyes.

There is going to be a lot of pressure now on Diaco to produce some immediate results in the big game. I'm not talking about the game where the Huskers are favored to win. I'm talking about the swing games against Penn State, Oregon, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa that ultimately define if your season is successful.

HOL

• Fire 2

Riley is running things much differently at Nebraska than he did at Oregon State, according to multiple sources. There is a perception that Devaney is also heavily involved in the decision making of this program under the directive of Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst. The more people I've talked to, it's become clear to me that Devaney has had a heavy influence in some of these decisions.

The pressure to win and win big is real. Eichorst knows it. He knows that 9-4 runner-up seasons in the Big Ten West won't get it done. NU has the most money, best facilities, biggest stadium and the richest tradition by far of any of the other schools in the West. This program has to get back to a place where they can beat teams like Wisconsin and Iowa on a regular basis. Riley is 0-4 against them in two seasons. The Huskers are 1-5 overall vs. the Badgers since joining the Big Ten and have lost three of their last four to Iowa after winning their first two years in the Big Ten against the Hawkeyes.

There is going to be a lot of pressure now on Diaco to produce some immediate results in the big game. I'm not talking about the game where the Huskers are favored to win. I'm talking about the swing games against Penn State, Oregon, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa that ultimately define if your season is successful.

HOL

Agree 100%.

Nebraska is not an inferior program. We're a blue blood that's in the top 10 programs of all time.

It's time to act like it.

• Fire 4

First post and fairly new reader but life long husker fan (like everyone here), but I have a theory on this on, right, wrong or indifferent, these are my thoughts on who is calling the shots:

I think when SE fired bo, he didn't have the reins or the trust to open up the pocketbook to start pumping money at this program, which in my opinion is needed to help make us relevant again. So he went and got MR because was a good buy for the money, and he had 10 years or so left in his career. Shawn's a smart guy and knows you don't hire an older coach without thinking about his replacement. With Riley coming in with a bunch of old buddies, it's easy to start replacing them with new and high $ guys until the last piece of the pussle will be rileys replacement when he retires. Which will be after 5-6+ years and a really good season (12-2 or somewhere along those lines). Then SE will promote someone from the staff and have a new, fresh, high quality, high dollar coaching staff to bring us up to par without the sticker shock of doing it all at once. I think MR knew this was the plan when he got hired on so this is all just a part of the plan.

First post and fairly new reader but life long husker fan (like everyone here), but I have a theory on this on, right, wrong or indifferent, these are my thoughts on who is calling the shots:

I think when SE fired bo, he didn't have the reins or the trust to open up the pocketbook to start pumping money at this program, which in my opinion is needed to help make us relevant again. So he went and got MR because was a good buy for the money, and he had 10 years or so left in his career. Shawn's a smart guy and knows you don't hire an older coach without thinking about his replacement. With Riley coming in with a bunch of old buddies, it's easy to start replacing them with new and high $ guys until the last piece of the pussle will be rileys replacement when he retires. Which will be after 5-6+ years and a really good season (12-2 or somewhere along those lines). Then SE will promote someone from the staff and have a new, fresh, high quality, high dollar coaching staff to bring us up to par without the sticker shock of doing it all at once. I think MR knew this was the plan when he got hired on so this is all just a part of the plan.

My thoughts as well. I offered previously that perhaps our new DC is the future HC when Riley retires. He seems young, bright and energetic from all reports. A few years of 'seasoning' and time for fan acceptance and a staff already built and 'system' in place. It sure makes for a great long term plan. Of course, we are only speculating and maybe a big dose of wishful thinking for good measure as well.

• Fire 1

First, welcome to the board!

Second, I see what you're saying, but I don't buy it. I don't think SE hired MR knowing they would eventually fire several assistants. We also don't live in an era where you can bank on your assistants being around long term. How many coordinators or position coaches last two or even three-plus years at a university? We've lost four in two years if my memory serves. Furthermore, although I think Nebraska is a destination job, there are plenty of jobs out there that are better than this one.