DC Candidate List

Mavric

I can't wait for the announcement - cuz based on what I've seen in the last 15 hours, people here on HB are going to be pissed and complaining no matter who they choose.

Couldn't agree more.

Nebraska hires a big name for a big dollar figure, "Why would Nebraska pay *fill in the amount* for this guy, he sucks we should've gotten Dave Aranda" even though Dave Aranda is going to be making almost TWO MILLION dollars per year staring next year.

If Nebraska hires a more under the radar guy, "JFC not this again I had to Google this guy and I've never heard of him we should've gotten Dave Aranda" even though a large segment of HB members only follow Nebraska and ex-Nebraska coaches so they aren't really up to speed on who's hot and who's not when it comes to coaches.

So true.

I can't wait for the announcement - cuz based on what I've seen in the last 15 hours, people here on HB are going to be pissed and complaining no matter who they choose.

Couldn't agree more.

Nebraska hires a big name for a big dollar figure, "Why would Nebraska pay *fill in the amount* for this guy, he sucks we should've gotten Dave Aranda" even though Dave Aranda is going to be making almost TWO MILLION dollars per year staring next year.

If Nebraska hires a more under the radar guy, "JFC not this again I had to Google this guy and I've never heard of him we should've gotten Dave Aranda" even though a large segment of HB members only follow Nebraska and ex-Nebraska coaches so they aren't really up to speed on who's hot and who's not when it comes to coaches.

So true.

I agree there likely will not be consensus, but if Nebraska payed $1.5 M for Aranda or Venables and we had a consistent top 15 defense for the next few years, I do think there would be consensus. But Nebraska wont go that high and Aranda and Venables would likely not want to come here and leave what they have.

Couldn't agree more.

So true.

I agree there likely will not be consensus, but if Nebraska payed $1.5 M for Aranda or Venables and we had a consistent top 15 defense for the next few years, I do think there would be consensus. But Nebraska wont go that high and Aranda and Venables would likely not want to come here and leave what they have.

So, in other words, expect a lot of bitching and moaning about the hire.

• Fire 2

Couldn't agree more.

So true.

Yes...lol. There is no apparent slam dunk hire that is realistic for us to get

• Fire 1

Here's who has been mentioned so far. Minus (most) head coaches. And current POTUS.

Dave Aranda - LSU DC

Todd Auer - Chadron State DC

Joe Barry

Gus Bradley

Tom Bradley - UCLA DC

Don Brown - Michigan DC

Mike Brown

Ralph Brown

Trent Bray

Erik Chinander - Central Florida DC

Tracy Claeys

Geoff Collins - Florida DC

Kevin Cosgrove - New Mexico DC

Bill Cowher

Tim DeRuyter

Bob Diaco

Matt Entz - North Dakota State DC

Bud Foster - Virginia Tech DC

Al Golden

Todd Grantham - Mississippi State DC

Jon Gruden

Jim Haslett - Bengals LB Coach

Marion Hobby - Clemson Co-DC

Brady Hoke

Hank Hughes

Eric Johnson

Larry Johnson - Ohio State DL Coach

Jimmy Lake - Washington DB Coach

Dick Labeau - Titans DC

Tosh Lupoi - Alabama LB Coach

Rod Marinelli - Cowboys DC

Les Miles

Mike Minter - Campbell HC

Bo Pelini - YSU HC

Carl Pelini - YSU DC

Clancy Pendergast - USC DC

Jason Peter

Wade Phillips

Kris Richard - Seahawks DC

Rob Ryan

Marvin Sanders

Jay Sawvel - Minnesota DC

Greg Schiano - Ohio State DC

Kevin Sherrer - Georgia LB coach

Bob Shoop - Tennessee DC

Peter Sirmon - Louisville DC

Phil Snow - Baylor DC

Steve Spagnuolo - Giants DC

Kevin Steele - Auburn DC

Jim Tressel - YSU President

Mel Tucker - Georgia DC

Brain VanGorder

Brent Venables - Clemson DC

Justin Wilconx - Wisconsin DC

Charles Woodson

Nate Woody - Appalacian State DC

So, assuming we can throw this list out since it was suggested by message board folks, who does that leave in the coaching world? Who is NOT on this list is what I'd want to know. :-)

Couldn't agree more.

So true.

Yes. Bitching and moaning WILL occur, regardless of the hire.

I'm sure there would be b!tching even if Jesus agreed to be our volunteer defensive coordinator.

People bitching about the bitching before the bitching even starts. How bitchin'.

• Fire 5

I'm sure there would be b!tching even if Jesus agreed to be our volunteer defensive coordinator.

All praise be to Allah!! J/k. Im a christian, but Jesus doesnt have the experience or pedigree i'd like so i would pass.
  • Fire 2

Tosh Lupoi was basically untouchable and out of college football for the shady recruiting he does + the breaking of written and unwritten rules. This is not something a young hot shot coach has in bio:

He served as an analyst for the Crimson Tide during the 2014 season after spending the previous six years at California and Washington.

He has slowly worked his way back as a position coach and now a "co-DC" on a staff where everyone knows Pruitt does everything Xs and Os. Did he get that promotion so he wouldn't go to an in conference competitor? Maybe he's learned some stuff coaching under Saban/Pruitt but he's always been a guy who you hire knowing that recruiting is number #1 and coaching comes a few numbers after that.

It feels like Cal to not only hire him back but as a DC. Can't imagine giving him that much responsibility but maybe Riley feels the talent and recruiting has to get better first and foremost.