DC Candidate List

Mavric

So, in other words, expect a lot of bitching and moaning about the hire.

Yes...lol. There is no apparent slam dunk hire that is realistic for us to get

I'm sure there would be b!tching even if Jesus agreed to be our volunteer defensive coordinator.

All praise be to Allah!! J/k. Im a christian, but Jesus doesnt have the experience or pedigree i'd like so i would pass.

He'd be excellent at defending against the Hail Mary though.

• Fire 1

The more I think about it, the more I hope it becomes a Co-DC scenario (with Bray being the other guy)...I'll use Tosh since that's a name being thrown around. If you can somehow finangle a Co-DC team with Bray and Tosh you allow both guys to get a promotion (and more money) plus you can protect your backside when one of them inevitably leaves and you've secured a monster recruiter. We're already seeing Bray fielding calls for DC jobs. If Nebraska doesn't promote him, next year is probably his last year assuming Bray fulfills his end of the bargain.

I'd be curious to hear what Landlord and Mavric think about promoting Bray now to DC and then try to secure another position coach who is an ace recruiter?

Is this a stupid thought?

It seems it might be less money and secure Bray who I don't think we want to lose.

I'm obviously not one of those two but, I'll ask anyway.

Why do we want to promote someone to this position who has never been a DC before and has spend his time in the defense we are wanting to change?

• Fire 2

I'd be curious to hear what Landlord and Mavric think about promoting Bray now to DC and then try to secure another position coach who is an ace recruiter?

It seems it might be less money and secure Bray who I don't think we want to lose.

Why do we want to promote someone to this position who has never been a DC before and has spend his time in the defense we are wanting to change?

yup, that's where I'm at.

Because people have man-crushes on Bray. Just like they have on Frost and others that are unproven for the level they'd be hired for.

I've floated the idea for months. Though, as I've said, a lot of that is I don't think he could be any worse.

I think Bray is a great recruiter. And I think he'll start getting offers to be a smaller-school DC relatively soon. He got an offer to be San Jose St.'s DC in the last couple weeks. I think it would be bad to lose him. I think the only way to keep him will be to promote him. But who knows if he's ready.

As far as the complaints about the LBs not being as good this year, I have a very hard time pinning that on Bray. That is almost entirely Banker, imo. In 2015 they seemed to play great. But we were almost totally focused on stopping the run and getting torched in the air. I think part of why the LBs looked good was they had little pass coverage responsibilities. This past year we changed our scheme quite a bit and now our LBs were not free to flow to the ball and stuck half-way defending the pass. That's scheme. Plus I'm still not convinced that our apparent lack of intensity in practice isn't playing a significant role, and that's not really on Bray either.

I guess it kind of depends on who are options are. I would have felt better if we fired Banker right after the season. Now most of the shuffling has taken place and that limits your choices. Not sure if I'm sold on Diaco. Seems like he had on pretty good year, one OK year and then a lot of meh. Only one year has his defense finished above #30. And he hasn't been playing the greatest competition. Not sure if that's a great selling point.

And if Bray is starting to get calls and now someone else is here, that's kind of a signal to him that he's going to either have to wait awhile or go somewhere else to be a DC. Not sure what his aspirations are but if he's wanting to move up in the short term, that's apparently going to be somewhere else. Not that it means we should promote him now. Just kind of a tough spot for him to be.

• Fire 1

I've floated the idea for months. Though, as I've said, a lot of that is I don't think he could be any worse.

I think Bray is a great recruiter. And I think he'll start getting offers to be a smaller-school DC relatively soon. He got an offer to be San Jose St.'s DC in the last couple weeks. I think it would be bad to lose him. I think the only way to keep him will be to promote him. But who knows if he's ready.

As far as the complaints about the LBs not being as good this year, I have a very hard time pinning that on Bray. That is almost entirely Banker, imo. In 2015 they seemed to play great. But we were almost totally focused on stopping the run and getting torched in the air. I think part of why the LBs looked good was they had little pass coverage responsibilities. This past year we changed our scheme quite a bit and now our LBs were not free to flow to the ball and stuck half-way defending the pass. That's scheme. Plus I'm still not convinced that our apparent lack of intensity in practice isn't playing a significant role, and that's not really on Bray either.

I guess it kind of depends on who are options are. I would have felt better if we fired Banker right after the season. Now most of the shuffling has taken place and that limits your choices. Not sure if I'm sold on Diaco. Seems like he had on pretty good year, one OK year and then a lot of meh. Only one year has his defense finished above #30. And he hasn't been playing the greatest competition. Not sure if that's a great selling point.

And if Bray is starting to get calls and now someone else is here, that's kind of a signal to him that he's going to either have to wait awhile or go somewhere else to be a DC. Not sure what his aspirations are but if he's wanting to move up in the short term, that's apparently going to be somewhere else. Not that it means we should promote him now. Just kind of a tough spot for him to be.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the firing didn't take place right after the Iowa game. If promoting Bray was an option, that would of given him a month of bowl prep, and the game to show you what he may be capable of at that position. As of now, I wouldn't be in favor of promoting Bray, unless we ACTUALLY don't have better options. Diaco would be an 'okay' hire, but I would really like to see Nebraska shoot for the stars in this situation. It's about damn time Nebraska gets back at the table with the big boys, so if that means paying a DC 1-1.5 million then so be it.

• Fire 1

Yeah, I'm not sure why the firing didn't take place right after the Iowa game. If promoting Bray was an option, that would of given him a month of bowl prep, and the game to show you what he may be capable of at that position. As of now, I wouldn't be in favor of promoting Bray, unless we ACTUALLY don't have better options. Diaco would be an 'okay' hire, but I would really like to see Nebraska shoot for the stars in this situation. It's about damn time Nebraska gets back at the table with the big boys, so if that means paying a DC 1-1.5 million then so be it.

write the damn check, money talks..........