DC Candidate List

Mavric

Charles Woodson? Jon Gruden?

May or may not be realistic, but those two and a few others would be some splash hires that would grab everyones attention.

I would shoot myself if somebody like Woodson was hired. Some people just dont understand that coaches coach, players play. Just b/c you were a great player doesnt mean you will be a great coach. I mean, the guy is a f'ing football analyst on tv right now. Hes NOT a coach!

I agree with you, but being a tv analyst is a pretty poor argument. Urban Meyer, Bobby Knight, Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Herm Edwards, there's a million really good to not so good former coaches on tv.

Hell.....Steve Kerr?

Love where your heads at, we need to be creative and really start thinking outside the box to get this team back to what it was during those years of dominance. It would be a splash hire, yes, and the press would be great -- not to mention he's shown an innate ability to build a scheme around the strengths of his athletes and has created a type of "powerhouse", if you will -- but I don't think he makes that jump quite yet.

Even if he saw the Nebraska opening as the next logical step for him career-wise, do we have the money to lure him away from Golden State? I agree that we need to spend top dollar to compete with the top programs in the country, I'm just nervous about his tendency to focus on offense and do the bare minimum on the defensive side of the ball. Draymond has turned into one of the premier defenders in the country, though, so you have to wonder what he could do with guys like the Davis twins.

Really excited to see who Riley's got his eye on, GBR

For some reason the talk about Tosh has an Ed Orgeron feel to me....

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, Tosh is a super elite recruiter and Nebraska would be thrilled to get his services. That being said, he's never been a DC. Do you run the risk of alienated your current staff if you back up the truck for a guy that hasn't done the job. I'm just wondering if Nebraska shouldn't hire someone that has recruiting ties somewhere other than the West Coast. Diaco, for all his apparent flaws is a a Big Ten guy (played at Iowa).