Early 2017 Top 25

USC is too easy of a choice. I think they miss the playoffs.

Yeah, USC has a history of doing less with more. Their 10-3 record this year wasn't too much more impressive than our own 9-4 record. Except USC's blowout loss (Bama, 52-6) came in the first game, and nobody remembered it by the end of the season. Our two blowouts came late in the season, and nobody forgot it. Wouldn't surprise me to see crosstown rival UCLA knock off the Trojans and dash their playoff hopes on the rocks.

I don't agree at all with the bolded. USC was a late bloomer. They lost three of their first four games. Then, they went undefeated the rest of the way beating both teams that played in the Pac 12 Championship game. They finished off their season beating the B1G Champion in the bowl game. Their losses and our losses may be similar. However, they beat much better teams than we did. They finished in the top 5 in the final rankings. We finished unranked. They were much more impressive.

Agreed. 4 games in I figured Helton would be sent packin' come season's end, maybe sooner. But then blamo, they got that Trojan Horse thing up and runnin' and went on a 9 W tear, including impressive wins over CO, WA, UCLA, ND, and PSU. No reason to think they won't be the fav to win the PAC next year. USC is back.

USC finished #3 and NU finished trending way down and unranked. USC #3 going into nxt year, NU unranked. Apples and oranges.

Next year is our year to shine if everything pans out, as in my opinion on Lee is wrong and everybody else performs to expectations. I'm excited for our new Wars to get immediate playing time, and for our O-Line with all but one player being on scholarship. I think our defense will ultimately be the deal breaker. I think Jones and Kali will be good for us next year, and our front 7 will be a lot more solid.

Yeah, USC has a history of doing less with more. Their 10-3 record this year wasn't too much more impressive than our own 9-4 record. Except USC's blowout loss (Bama, 52-6) came in the first game, and nobody remembered it by the end of the season. Our two blowouts came late in the season, and nobody forgot it. Wouldn't surprise me to see crosstown rival UCLA knock off the Trojans and dash their playoff hopes on the rocks.

I don't agree at all with the bolded. USC was a late bloomer. They lost three of their first four games. Then, they went undefeated the rest of the way beating both teams that played in the Pac 12 Championship game. They finished off their season beating the B1G Champion in the bowl game. Their losses and our losses may be similar. However, they beat much better teams than we did. They finished in the top 5 in the final rankings. We finished unranked. They were much more impressive.

USC's win over Washington was impressive. But their narrow home win over Colorado wasn't. Colorado made it into the Pac-12 championship by virtue of a few lucky plays and an easy schedule. CU got crushed in the Pac-12 CCG 41-10, and then finished with an embarrassing blowout loss to a mediocre Okie State team.

Was USC's 10-3 record more impressive than our 9-4 record? Sure. A little bit. But not by much. If they had gotten crushed 52-6 by Bama in November (like we got crushed by tOSU) I doubt they would have finished #5. And if they had lost their best two or three players for the last couple games like we did, I doubt they would have finished 10-3 either. USC 2016? Not impressed. Like I said above, USC has a history of doing less with more.

I'm always more impressed with a team that finishes strong rather than a team that finishes poorly. USC didn't lose to Bama in November. Injuries happen to nearly every team. The teams mostly affected by injuries are those who haven't done a great job recruiting depth. It's okay to admit that we didn't have quality depth. It's also okay to admit that we weren't a great team in 2016. It's also okay to admit that USC was a better team than we were in 2016. The staff took a calculated risk/gamble by redshirting as many as possible. It more than likely will pay dividends in the next couple of years. We are positioning ourselves to get closer to the top teams such as USC.

USC's win over Washington was impressive. But their narrow home win over Colorado wasn't. Colorado made it into the Pac-12 championship by virtue of a few lucky plays and an easy schedule. CU got crushed in the Pac-12 CCG 41-10, and then finished with an embarrassing blowout loss to a mediocre Okie State team.

Was USC's 10-3 record more impressive than our 9-4 record? Sure. A little bit. But not by much. If they had gotten crushed 52-6 by Bama in November (like we got crushed by tOSU) I doubt they would have finished #5. And if they had lost their best two or three players for the last couple games like we did, I doubt they would have finished 10-3 either. USC 2016? Not impressed. Like I said above, USC has a history of doing less with more.

I am going to agree with with you on USC NUance. USC does way less with more, they are the most disfunctional yet talented team in the nation. When they really want to play they can play with anyone, but it seem like it take a couple of bad losses that basically takes them out of the NC picture before they get things going. Last year was no different. Everyone will have high expectations for them next year and they will lose to someone early that they shouldn't and that will be that.

When you lose the games does matter. Lets say NU started off the season at 4-4 and finishes with 5 wins including the bowl game, same record but they are probably ranked around 20 at the mininum.

Agreed. 4 games in I figured Helton would be sent packin' come season's end, maybe sooner. But then blamo, they got that Trojan thing up and runnin' and went on a 9 W tear, including impressive wins over CO, WA, UCLA, ND, and PSU. No reason to think they won't be the fav to win the PAC next year. USC is back.

USC finished #3 and NU finished trending way down and unranked. USC #3 going into nxt year, NU unranked. Apples and oranges.

Dude, just stop watching Nebraska football. I can't believe how you can enjoy anything about NU Football with this kind of attitude.

I'm always more impressed with a team that finishes strong rather than a team that finishes poorly. USC didn't lose to Bama in November. Injuries happen to nearly every team. The teams mostly affected by injuries are those who haven't done a great job recruiting depth. It's okay to admit that we didn't have quality depth. It's also okay to admit that we weren't a great team in 2016. It's also okay to admit that USC was a better team than we were in 2016. The staff took a calculated risk/gamble by redshirting as many as possible. It more than likely will pay dividends in the next couple of years. We are positioning ourselves to get closer to the top teams such as USC.

I respectfully disagree with your last point, we are closing no gaps with the likes of USC and the other top 5-7 teams--usual suspects--that are amassing/hoarding the best talent like it's 2 Americas--which it is, in real life and CFB.

NU is at about a 10+ year holding pattern in recruiting, ave ranking being ~25th, and low and behold, that's usually where we start and finish each season, on average. USC. for e.g., '17 class as per 247 sports gathered 2 five stars, 12 four stars, and 10 3 stars to finish 4th and they are back finishing top 5 or 10 consistently, in recruiting. Well, if you check out the top 6 teams on 247, for e.g., the wealth of talent is off the charts. Bama and tOSU each quite possibly have more 5 star guys than we have 4 star guys. I don't see NU closing many gaps. Our '17 RB is a 3 star kid from Bellevue, NE, for god's sake!!!

2 Americas.

• Fire 1

Agreed. 4 games in I figured Helton would be sent packin' come season's end, maybe sooner. But then blamo, they got that Trojan thing up and runnin' and went on a 9 W tear, including impressive wins over CO, WA, UCLA, ND, and PSU. No reason to think they won't be the fav to win the PAC next year. USC is back.

Dude, just stop watching Nebraska football. I can't believe how you can enjoy anything about NU Football with this kind of attitude.
I appreciate the suggestion, but for better or worse, seems I, like so many others, am married to Big Red, having been betrothed at a very young age. "I just can't quit you Big Red!", haha.

But I know, honest I do, truths often hurt and facts are very stubborn things and I'm too old to entertain delusions much.

I just take it on a game by game basis anymore, w/o getting too hyped up w expectations, and that works for me. Otherwise, I'd be prone to madness and despair over DONU, but instead, I'm "ok" with it, albeit, I usually decline further viewing when the point differential reaches, say, 30 or 40 points or more--i.e., gettin' blowed out. I don't find that type of thing fun or healthy to watch anymore, call me "crazy".

Look, WI owns us, IA almost owns us. That's enough to drive an old timer like me crazy mad right there, especially since we out recruit them by significant margins every year. Just one of those things.

I hope one day, in the future, we win the division again, and I think we will, again, someday...won't happen in '17 though, I'll bet anybody.

Keep it real.

Bet me Big Nebrowski. I think we beat every west division team next year and show our recruiting gap

Okay, so you say we go undefeated in the B1G West and win said division in '17. Both must happen, so says you. Is this correct?

If so, okay, I says neither will happen in '17: we will neither go undefeated in the B1G West in '17 nor will we win said division in '17. I think that is clear and sounds legal and stuff.

What shall we bet?

I respectfully disagree with your last point, we are closing no gaps with the likes of USC and the other top 5-7 teams--usual suspects--that are amassing/hoarding the best talent like it's 2 Americas--which it is, in real life and CFB.

NU is at about a 10+ year holding pattern in recruiting, ave ranking being ~25th, and low and behold, that's usually where we start and finish each season, on average. USC. for e.g., '17 class as per 247 sports gathered 2 five stars, 12 four stars, and 10 3 stars to finish 4th and they are back finishing top 5 or 10 consistently, in recruiting. Well, if you check out the top 6 teams on 247, for e.g., the wealth of talent is off the charts. Bama and tOSU each quite possibly have more 5 star guys than we have 4 star guys. I don't see NU closing many gaps. Our '17 RB is a 3 star kid from Bellevue, NE, for god's sake!!!

2 Americas.

Wow, he is one of the most productive running back in Nebraska history. He had 496 yards in a single game. Ran for 2511 yards and 50 TDs this season. FIFTY f'ing TDS and you crush him because he is from Nebraska? Go away.

We have done pretty well with those Nebraska guys and another one comes to mind that went to Kansas and another who is still in the league from North Platte

Ahman Green

Damon Benning

Clinton Childs

Gale Sayers

Calvin Jones

Jeff Kinney

Danny Woodhead

(There are more, but I am not going to look all of them up)

Bradley scored more TD this season than any of those All-Americans and NFL RB ever did in High School.

2 Americas.

Wow, he is one of the most productive running back in Nebraska history. He had 496 yards in a single game. Ran for 2511 yards and 50 TDs this season. FIFTY f'ing TDS and you crush him because he is from Nebraska? Go away.

We have done pretty well with those Nebraska guys and another one comes to mind that went to Kansas and another who is still in the league from North Platte

Ahman Green

Damon Benning

Clinton Childs

Gale Sayers

Calvin Jones

Jeff Kinney

Danny Woodhead

Bradley scored more TD this season than any of those All-Americans and NFL RB ever did in High School.

Admittedly, I haven't seen him play. If he's so great, why only 3*s and are you implying we turned other guys away to take the kid from Bellevue? Actually, the last IB from NE to start for NE was Ahman Green, if I recall.

2 Americas.

Ahman Green

Damon Benning

Clinton Childs

Gale Sayers

Calvin Jones

Jeff Kinney

Danny Woodhead

Admittedly, I haven't seen him play. If he's so great, why only 3*s and are you implying we turned other guys away to take the kid from Bellevue? Actually, the last IB from NE to start for NE was Ahman Green, if I recall.

Tierre Green started a few games as a freshman before changing to running back.

Bradley could easily jump into the rotation next year. He's shifty as hell, and could easily bulk up with his frame. Check out the highlights of the Class A state championship game against Omaha North. North was undefeated and the hands down favorite to win that game. Bradley completely decimated their defense that hadn't even allowed any team to score as many TDs as he did.

He just became eligible this January getting the necessary test scores, otherwise his recruitment would have been a lot hotter.