Trump Foreign Policy

Again, whoops!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-first-layoffs-from-trump’s-tariffs-are-here/ar-AAza55V?li=BBnb7Kz

A little back story to this company.  They have been filing Anti-dumping lawsuits against several countries for the last 10 years in order to be competitive with American made nails.  Some they were successful.  Some not so much.  But now what Trump has done is lead them on the path to going out of business.  All that work for nothing.

I wonder if Trump ever considered subsidies instead. American subsidies on corn is what put millions of Mexican farmers out of business in the 90s after NAFTA took effect.

Anyhow, my argument has always been that it's too late to save American steel/aluminum manufacturing or return it to what it was, and we don't necessarily need to do that in the first place. It could eventually pay off after several years but I don't know whether we can weather those years.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder if Trump ever considered subsidies instead. American subsidies on corn is what put millions of Mexican farmers out of business in the 90s after NAFTA took effect.

Anyhow, my argument has always been that it's too late to save American steel/aluminum manufacturing or return it to what it was, and we don't necessarily need to do that in the first place. It could eventually pay off after several years but I don't know whether we can weather those years.

It likely could make a stable comeback.  But implementing tariffs on foreign produced steel from the jump isn't going to work because several manufacturing places need it to continue operating until American made steel could possibly keep up with demand.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It likely could make a stable comeback.  But implementing tariffs on foreign produced steel from the jump isn't going to work because several manufacturing places need it to continue operating until American made steel could possibly keep up with demand.

Exactly.  

American made steel isn't going to make a major come back if the customers who use the steel have gone out of business or moved it to other parts of the world where they can get the steel cheeper.

It's absolutely idiotic to put a tariff on raw materials.  It is so counter productive that it proves these people have no clue what they are doing.