The Republican Utopia

12 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Eulogizing a horrible person. What a time to be alive. 

We should create a thread of all of Rush's hate-filled rhetoric so we can properly celebrate the death of this awful human being. 

When hundreds of thousands of Americans were dying of AIDS, Mr. Limbaugh ran a regular segment called “AIDS updates,” in which he mocked the deaths of gay men by playing Dionne Warwick’s recording of the song “I’ll Never Love This Way Again.” He later expressed regret for the segment, but he continued to make homophobic remarks over the years; in 2020, he dismissed the presidential bid of Pete Buttigieg by claiming that Americans would be repelled by a “gay guy kissing his husband onstage.”

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Eulogizing a horrible person. What a time to be alive. 

We should create a thread of all of Rush's hate-filled rhetoric so we can properly celebrate the death of this awful human being. 

Lots of people have already done so. One of many:

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Birds of a feather...

Dave’s not really wrong 

13 hours ago, funhusker said:

It is my hope that no one can fill his shoes.

The industry he "helped create" is a driving influence of the s#!t show we can American politics.

Rush Limbaugh made America worse by being on the radio.

He didn’t 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He didn’t 

Please explain how you believe the "discourse" on Rush's program improved America.

I'll explain briefly why I believe it didn't.  He took political topics and watered them down to a point that people could have someone to blame: democrats, liberals, college institutions, immigrants, etc.  Instead of "informing" people about current events in a responsible way he stoked negative emotions and made people believe it was okay to blame others and draw a line in the sand that should not be passed.  

This is common with left wing media now too.  This "boogeyman" reporting is a major reason why most people have become so polarized.  Please tell me with a straight face how polarization is "good for America."  I'll be happy to listen.

America is better with Rush gone. Period.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

I will sometimes push back against people who criticize the time off elected officials and powerful people take. It seems like it often comes from a place of them being somehow undeserving of it because of the importance of their work. They're human, too, and deserve time off.

But this? I can't rationalize a defense for this. I have friends down in Austin who literally don't have food because the stores are wiped clean. They're boiling icicles to flush their toilets. They haven't had power or water for three days. And he commits to a trip to Mexico? He couldn't reschedule? He's an elected official. This is exactly the kind of thing he was voted into office to help out with.

Absolute clown.