The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Another person might say he is utilizing the opportunities in front of him to better himself.  The same opportunity others around him have, yet chose a different path.  

The person who might say that would be wrong, as that's not what the kid is saying.

He says he has been "inoculated", which is passive language not active. He says he was provided a foundation, which is a focus on something given to him rather than something he's doing. He then says his peers aren't on such solid ground, ie, they haven't been given the same beneficial place to start from that he has. 

This is entirely the definition and language of privilege. You can sub out all the variables while keeping the spirit and it would convincingly read as a left-wing white guilt piece. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

He says he was provided a foundation,

I’m quite sure hundreds of people around him were provided that same foundation and decided not to utilize that opportunity or foundation in the same way he did.  It’s a conscious choice to take was used given or not take what is given.  In this case what was given is advice which is what is being called the foundation 

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

, ie, they haven't been given the same beneficial place to start from that he has

I don’t believe he has actually said this.   What I read is that he believes the others around didn’t take up those same opportunities presented that he did.  Not that he was the only one to receive them which is what you are trying to imply

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

His entire narrative rests on the idea that he is specially equipped to see the truth and to resist the temptations of woke culture because of the advantages given to him by his upbringing.

Privilege seems like a dictionary definition perfect word to use for that.

And what were his advantages? Parents immigrating from Haiti? His religion? Going to a charter school? Being black? Maybe having good mentors? A stable family unit? Seems like he worked hard and tested into his current school. So far it’s a great story, I want to learn more.

My family helps refugees from time to time. The latest is an Afghan pilot whose family just escaped the fiasco in August. He has some great stories too, and is very grateful for being here.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m quite sure hundreds of people around him were provided that same foundation and decided not to utilize that opportunity or foundation in the same way he did.  It’s a conscious choice to take was used given or not take what is given.  In this case what was given is advice which is what is being called the foundation. 

You might be right, but he didn't mention or make point of any of that. Would have done him well to combat the extremely obvious perception of him believing he was privileged with benefits the other students didn't have in a very straightforward reading of what he wrote.

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t believe he has actually said this.   What I read is that he believes the others around didn’t take up those same opportunities presented that he did.  Not that he was the only one to receive them which is what you are trying to imply

What you read isn't what he said. Unless you mean to imply that he is hinting that his classmates didn't take advantage of a good Christian upbringing, which... isn't anywhere in his op ed. 

Y'all are trying way too hard to make this a bootstraps story when his own narrative suggests otherwise.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

If this kid had "privilege"  so did Rocky Balboa (Just in Rocky and Rocky II, maybe Rocky 5 but we don't really count that one)

Depending on how you perceive it, coming from a rougher less advantageous context is absolutely a benefit, or a privilege, that helps you to have an internal motivation to want it bad enough and more than the entitled superstar who expects success to be his by default. 

3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Depending on how you perceive it, coming from a rougher less advantageous context is absolutely a benefit, or a privilege, that helps you to have an internal motivation to want it bad enough and more than the entitled superstar who expects success to be his by default. 

I mean, Rocky did end up beating Apollo...But then the underprivileged Clubber Lang beat Rocky...

My god, it is a cycle!   

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This is a bit of a stretch…

This post is more flexible than the new lineman from OSU!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
24 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is a bit of a stretch…

This post is more flexible than the new lineman from OSU!

I think he was joking but this is also the line we see with the amazing Husker walk-on from a small town that has more heart and will run through a brick wall...but sadly can't run over a LBer from Purdue on 4th and 1.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think he was joking but this is also the line we see with the amazing Husker walk-on from a small town that has more heart and will run through a brick wall...but sadly can't run over a LBer from Purdue on 4th and 1.

True!

Sorry @Lorewarn, I read too quickly and thought it was part of your response to Archi…

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Keep that privileged trap of yours shut.   You have TWO masters degrees when many people in this world don’t have any.   You are so privileged to be able to spell words out cognitively on this website while others don’t even know about Huskerboard!!!!   How dare you exert your privilege so boldly and without regret.  

:sarcasm

• Haha 3

Recent work in political science offers another plausible explanation. In an increasingly polarized political system, individual issues may matter less than partisan identity. In other words, partisan loyalty to one’s own team is paramount. So instead of voting on issues, Americans appear to more readily adopt the views of party leaders. In a 2019 interview with The New York Times, Stanford political scientist Shanto Iyengar suggests that this is diminishing the relevance of political issues: “There is a growing body of work showing that policy preferences are driven more by partisans’ eagerness to support their party rather than considered analysis of the pros and cons of opposing positions on any given issue.”

• Thanks 1