The Republican Utopia

58 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The only mention of CRT was a Twitter account, as @Lorewarn mentioned above, and yourself. No other poster did.

Ummm some poster actually had to post the tweet you are referencing.  So ya, he/she kinda did mention it or they wouldn’t have posted the tweet.  Interesting how that works. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Ummm some poster actually had to post the tweet you are referencing.  So ya, he/she kinda did mention it or they wouldn’t have posted the tweet.  Interesting how that works. 

They can't exactly edit a tweet assuming they don't agree with everything in it. I'm not going to assume a poster does since it's not their words directly. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. 

Interesting how that works.

3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

That kid's op-ed is hilarious because his whole foundational argument is that he's better off than everyone else in his class because of being privileged.

Well if nothing else he is smart enough to know he could get lots of attention and potentially make some money by feeding into the right wing narrative.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I should not not be surprised by people dismissing this kid. It sounds like some think he might be Larry Elder 2.0, but I was curious where he came from and what was his family story. It turns out he is a first generation Haitian immigrant. Even though he goes to what seems like a prestigious school, I don’t think he would qualify as privileged. He has certainly been given a great opportunity. 

https://nypost.com/2021/09/10/im-a-17-year-old-black-american-who-refuses-to-go-woke/

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Where did he say he was privileged? 

My Christian upbringing, my time in a public charter school, and my history teacher’s use of the Socratic method provided a foundation I needed to withstand it all.

I, too, see through the mob’s grandstanding because my Christian upbringing taught me to eschew instant gratification from sharing colorful social media posts, and instead be content with humility. Throughout my eight years at a public charter school, I became committed to finding the truth with intellectual honesty. My 11th grade history teacher taught me how to engage the ideas with which I disagreed—not "cancel" them.

Without the foundation I benefitted from, I fear woke politics exploit my peers’ longing to be principled, to build character—to become heroes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, nic said:

I guess I should not not be surprised by people dismissing this kid.

You should dismiss anybody in the entire world who's whole point rests on how they alone can see clearly when all of their peers and everyone they compare themselves to are misguided fools. Especially when they then fail to see the irony in ascribing their unique wisdom that all the rest of the dummies don't have to having humility.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, nic said:

I guess I should not not be surprised by people dismissing this kid. It sounds like some think he might be Larry Elder 2.0, but I was curious where he came from and what was his family story. It turns out he is a first generation Haitian immigrant. Even though he goes to what seems like a prestigious school, I don’t think he would qualify as privileged. He has certainly been given a great opportunity. 

https://nypost.com/2021/09/10/im-a-17-year-old-black-american-who-refuses-to-go-woke/

Kids bully.  That’s what they do.  You know who could write op-Ed’s from my middle school in West Omaha?  The gay kid who gets made fun of.  The kid who gets called  “ni$$er”.  The “libtard” kids who roll their eyes as a group of boys carry a Trump flag through the halls and chant “let’s go Brandon!”.

Im not dismissing his story.  I’m sure he’s seen some very rude kids.  I’m just not surprised…

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

You should dismiss anybody in the entire world who's whole point rests on how they alone can see clearly when all of their peers and everyone they compare themselves to are misguided fools. Especially when they then fail to see the irony in ascribing their unique wisdom that all the rest of the dummies don't have to having humility.

Well, that kid never said or implied “he alone” can see clearly when no one can.  
It seems he does say he has learned life lessons his elders, from his Religion, and from being humble.  Seems like pretty good traits for us normal folk.  

• Plus1 2