The Republican Utopia

17 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-senator-says-may-true-233002349.html

This guy is going to win. But, you know,  Republicans are a political party our national media needs to regard with equal dignity and respect. Yup, there super-duper serious.

I'm sure a fine Libertarian like yourself is firmly against government subsidies to business. The invisible hand of the free market and all that. 

Totally worked in 2008!

Am I opposed to subsidies? Absolutely. That includes to farmers, as well as to billionaire professional sports owners to foot the bill for their shiny new stadiums with taxpayer money.

If you read back a little ways in the thread, I am quite critical of TARP as well as the covid "relief/stimulus"

But if you're going to try to confuse subsidies and tax cuts, I'll also be perfectly clear that our taxes are WAY too high, especially on businesses. The biggest businesses just pass the tax burdens on to their customers in the form of price increases anyways...

• Plus1 3

7 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Am I opposed to subsidies? Absolutely. That includes to farmers, as well as to billionaire professional sports owners to foot the bill for their shiny new stadiums with taxpayer money.

If you read back a little ways in the thread, I am quite critical of TARP as well as the covid "relief/stimulus"

But if you're going to try to confuse subsidies and tax cuts, I'll also be perfectly clear that our taxes are WAY too high, especially on businesses. The biggest businesses just pass the tax burdens on to their customers in the form of price increases anyways...

I'm just trying to understand your Libertarian point of view.

Obviously, the problem with TARP was that it wasn't big enough. The financial calamity without it would've caused a depression that we would likely still be dealing with. Furthermore, states like Nebraska - and other small states - owe their entire agricultural economy to government subsidies which allow their prices to compete with much cheaper alternatives from overseas.

Your argument concerning business taxes is... something. Corporate stock buybacks should be evidence enough that taxes on them are not 'WAY to high' but an argument based on facts isn't going to persuade you at this point.

• Plus1 3

11 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe consider reading the article you post.   The comment was about Illegal aliens being educated in Texas and Texas bearing that cost vs the country those children have citizenship in.  

Abbott raised the possibility of challenging the ruling on education during a discussion about border security, after Pagliarulo asked whether the state could take steps to reduce the "burden" of educating the children of undocumented migrants living in Texas.

Man hardcore R's lack any semblance of empathy. They're going to be here anyway and yet you'd rather kids not learn?

I suppose the broader population being stupider is a core plank in the GOP platform, though.

• Plus1 2
On 5/4/2022 at 8:59 PM, Dr. Strangelove said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-senator-says-may-true-233002349.html

This guy is going to win. But, you know,  Republicans are a political party our national media needs to regard with equal dignity and respect. Yup, there super-duper serious.

Johnson was speaking to Todd Callendar, who bills himself as an "international lawyer" and "leader of a group trying to stop the Biden regime's effort to destroy the U.S. military via injections of the so-called vaccine that contains HIV." 

This is one of those statements so staggeringly moronic it evoked me closing my eyes for a second or two to focus on processing the stupid. Assuming he's not just lying, it always surprises me that a profession that requires decent baseline competence like law can produce such whackjobs.

• Plus1 4

11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm just trying to understand your Libertarian point of view.

Obviously, the problem with TARP was that it wasn't big enough. The financial calamity without it would've caused a depression that we would likely still be dealing with. Furthermore, states like Nebraska - and other small states - owe their entire agricultural economy to government subsidies which allow their prices to compete with much cheaper alternatives from overseas.

Your argument concerning business taxes is... something. Corporate stock buybacks should be evidence enough that taxes on them are not 'WAY to high' but an argument based on facts isn't going to persuade you at this point.

Hahahahahaha oh I see! TARP want big enough but all the executives at the big banks used the money to give themselves giant bonuses. Got it....

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Because it won't effect electoral outcomes so they figure they might as well make money. 

If he runs in 2024, he'll win because of the R next to his name. 

How though?

Why would Biden, if running vs Trump, not win again?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

How though?

Why would Biden, if running vs Trump, not win again?

Because the independent voters swing the elections, and a lot of them are waking up to the idea that maybe it wasn't so horrible under orange man compared to current leadership...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Because the independent voters swing the elections, and a lot of them are waking up to the idea that maybe it wasn't so horrible under orange man compared to current leadership...

But enough to swing it all the way over?

I guess my question is, what states will vote R instead of D, assuming they voted D last time?