The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

As far as elimination, proper sex education and access to contraceptives is a leading reason behind the decline of abortions for the last few decades.

Ironically, the people most opposed to abortion are also the same people against the leading preventative measures.

Agree.....and that's irritating.

So, what their really saying (without realizing it) is they are happier with more unwanted pregnancies and then have the woman only have one option....no matter what the circumstance is.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Alito's position explicitly calls into question the right to contraception. The foundation is very clearly laid out, and that's among the next steps in this attack on rights.

Insane...not everyone has a 100% perfect pull out game!

• Haha 1

I have several friends whose marriages are currently in jeopardy thanks to what is, apparently, going down in the Supreme Court.

I have a real hard time accepting that I have any obligation to "find common ground" with people who are doing this to people I love.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I have several friends whose marriages are currently in jeopardy thanks to what is, apparently, going down in the Supreme Court.

I have a real hard time accepting that I have any obligation to "find common ground" with people who are doing this to people I love.

I do too.  One of my best friends is in a gay marriage with two kids.  You couldn't find a kinder person than her in the world if you tried and now she's terrified of losing it all.  I can't wrap my head around so-called libertarians wanting to impose their moralistic view on other people who've done them no harm.  "Live and let live" bulls#!t

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Christians have maintained for decades that a fetus is a human being with intrinsic worth, and it has taken the "science" community a long time to catch up because they're just now beginning to accept that fact.

Most likely not, but the government welfare programs don't either, so I don't see why that's always the excuse of why we have to have all of the existing govt programs.

Although I'd be interested what you think of the idea of a negative income tax (form of UBI promoted by Milton Friedman) in place of existing welfare programs

The viability of a fetus outside the womb is still a highly debated topic, and the Bible even alludes to the fact that an unborn baby is not equivalent to a full grown human. There's a verse in the old testament about causing a woman to miscarry only being a fine, where murder is punished with death. I don't believe anything close to abortion is ever mentioned in the new testament. So the modern Christian assumption is entirely man made.

I always find it odd that any self proclaimed libertarian could actually say the government has a decision in what a woman does with her body for a given period of time.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

In case people don't know, it needs to be made clear that the right to be able to have an abortion has been the historical norm in America - the banning of it is the outlier in terms of our country's history.

Let me just toss out the "Yeah, no kidding" before everyone else piles on.  Ha.

2 hours ago, nic said:

A friend from Denmark once asked me why the abortion debate in the US was so visceral. I asked him what Denmark does. This was 20 or more years ago.  He said before 13 weeks abortion was allowed. After 13 you needed to go to court and prove you needed it.

This is actually similar to the frame work of the original Roe ruling. Depending on the trimester there were different rules about what restrictions were allowable for the government to enforce.

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Well said. 

Not really,

1) Caring about people takes many forms.

2) The most needy tend to lack money and resources.

3) Many charitable organizations do good work as intended. 

4) Several federal programs do too.

5) It doesn't hurt to admit this. 

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Wait. Maybe I didn’t read all the posts. You are saying that marriages are in jeopardy because of the leaked SCOTUS potential ruling? Are they on different sides of the abortion opinion spectrum and this  news event brought it out?

7 minutes ago, nic said:

Wait. Maybe I didn’t read all the posts. You are saying that marriages are in jeopardy because of the leaked SCOTUS potential ruling? Are they on different sides of the abortion opinion spectrum and this  news event brought it out?

He's saying the logic the conservative SCOTUS is using to overturn Roe is going to be similarly applied to gay marriage because they (Alito) already stated in this opinion he doesn't believe them to be "deeply rooted in history."

AKA they aren't specifically guaranteed in the original Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

AKA he could apply this logic to anything from gay marriage, to the right to contraception, to women or blacks being able to vote, etc. etc.

Civic society evolves over time for a reason. They may be looking to pump the brakes on some of that pesky progress.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

But you have to understand that the most pressing issue society faces is Critical Race Theory!

• Plus1 1