The Republican Utopia

On 4/20/2023 at 12:51 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

You don't need to apologize. I believe most people in this forum have always admitted that trans athletes are a more complicated and struggle-worthy issue, including that guy who's the father of a trans child. 

It's worth setting aside for a separate discussion. Similar GOP actions against trans rights involve personal decisions that harm no one. 

I am glad to see some espn sports personalities speaking up on the topic too.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The numbers appear correct, but it appears that the budget proposal itself comes from the White House. Or am I missing something?

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5874

This analysis assumes an across-the-board reduction of roughly 22% compared to currently enacted FY 2023 levels for non-defense discretionary accounts. That aligns with proposals to return discretionary spending to FY 2022 levels on an ongoing basis while exempting defense spending.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Did you read the disclaimer?  They assume a 22% cut across the board outside of defense in the analysis.  I don’t think that assumption is valid.  You are falling for a Democrat talking point I’m guessing. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Did you read the disclaimer?  They assume a 22% cut across the board outside of defense in the analysis.  I don’t think that assumption is valid.  You are falling for a Democrat talking point I’m guessing. 

So, you’re just arbitrarily deciding it’s BS even though the VA themselves says it’s not…..because it makes Republicans look bad. 

typical. 

• TBH 3
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you’re just arbitrarily deciding it’s BS even though the VA themselves says it’s not…..because it makes Republicans look bad. 

typical. 

Yes I am until you can show me the actual proposal or bill that says Republicans are wanting a 22% across the board cut.   I would also like to understand better how everything other than defense got a 22% increase from FSY 2022 to FSY 2023.   Cause the assumption is saying back to 2022 levels and the assumption claims that’s a 22% cut in budget.   Unless I’m reading the Biden Admin response wrong.  

So you are arbitrarily agreeing with a statement on a budget proposal you haven’t seen because if helps you decide Republicans are bad.    

typical 

Maybe Joe is right and that’s what’s being proposed, however, all you’ve shown is statements from Democrats/people in charge of getting as large of budget as possible.  LOL 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ah. It looks like the VA calls it the "President's Budget" but does not identify the proposed cuts as coming from Republicans.

If Archy was still here, I'm sure he'd be ashamed of his party. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
15 hours ago, nic said:

I am glad to see some espn sports personalities speaking up on the topic too.

It is worth noting that Biden's proposal does allow for transgender sports bans at the high school and college level, where most of this debate is taking place. Since Biden is taking heat from the transgender community for this, I'm wondering if Republicans are crediting him for the more prudent approach. Or if they are ignoring it entirely in order to keep ginning up the culture war.

I'm betting the latter. 

• TBH 2
25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Ah. It looks like the VA calls it the "President's Budget" but does not identify the proposed cuts as coming from Republicans.

If Archy was still here, I'm sure he'd be ashamed of his party. 

If he were here, he would probably say let’s see what the actual budget proposal says vs what’s being reported for maximum political gain.  Just spitballing but I think it’s what he would say 

• Plus1 1

Women’s sports should be for bio women. 

The only thing I’d be open to is fully transitioned transgender women being allowed if it’s proven they on average have the same physical capabilities as bio women. 

If after treatment they’re still stronger and faster on average then they should play with men. 

• TBH 1
29 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

That’s already been posted and responded to. It’s an assumption based on across the board 22% cuts to everything but defense spending.  Key word assumption. 

I just linked to the VA, which clearly states: "The proposed 22% budget cut to VA would:"

The article then goes on to list all of the different VA programs that would be affected. Unless you can show these are only assumptions, I'm going to have to say you're just trying to deflect at this point.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I just linked to the VA, which clearly states: "The proposed 22% budget cut to VA would:"

The article then goes on to list all of the different VA programs that would be affected. Unless you can show these are only assumptions, I'm going to have to say you're just trying to deflect at this point.

#1.  You have yet to post the actual proposal thr VA is responding to.  The line item that says the budget will be 22% less in FY 2024 than  FY 2023.   If you have and I missed it, please let me know exactly where it is posted.    
#2.  From your link

This analysis assumes an across-the-board reduction of roughly 22% compared to currently enacted FY 2023 levels for non-defense discretionary accounts. That aligns with proposals to return discretionary spending to FY 2022 levels on an ongoing basis while exempting defense spending.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1