The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Count me in for this proposal.   It’s gonna eliminate a lot of both D and R votes from the clueless class.   Let’s add an IQ test into the requirements for gun ownership too

Count me very in for this.

And I’ll agree it would also disqualify many on the left. There is no shortage of stupid at both extremes.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now, let's just step back for a minute and think about this.  This guy gets this triggered because Bud Light simply has an advertising campaign focussed on gay people.

Let's then think about what would happen if this guy had a child that came home and told him he was gay.

I think we can realize why schools/teachers/counselors need to be able to have conversations with kids that the parents aren't included in.

So much of this outrage is self loathing.  We see it all the time with the projection amongst the most ardent homophobes.  They hate themselves but their ego protects them from their self loathing so they lash out at others who they see themselves in.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:

Count me very in for this.

And I’ll agree it would also disqualify many on the left. There is no shortage of stupid at both extremes.

Unfortunately, there's no real way to measure intelligence. IQ is a very poor measure.

It's why we have voting as we rely on the voters to figure out those complexities.

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Unfortunately, there's no real way to measure intelligence. IQ is a very poor measure.

It's why we have voting as we rely on the voters to figure out those complexities.

I’ll take my chances with a poor measure of IQ as opposed to how we currently let everyone vote. I’m sorry but some people simply aren’t qualified to wield that right, just like some people can’t pass a driving test or numerous other tests that prevent the unqualified from doing things i.e. bar exam for lawyers, medical boards for doctors etc.

I’d be okay with a specialized voters test. Basic civics stuff, mental stability etc. It’s no more than many want to do for gun ownership and it would appear to be a major factor in why we haven’t been able to do that either. Stupid people shouldn’t be responsible for weighty matters.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ll take my chances with a poor measure of IQ as opposed to how we currently let everyone vote. I’m sorry but some people simply aren’t qualified to wield that right, just like some people can’t pass a driving test or numerous other tests that prevent the unqualified from doing things i.e. bar exam for lawyers, medical boards for doctors etc.

I’d be okay with a specialized voters test. Basic civics stuff, mental stability etc. It’s no more than many want to do for gun ownership and it would appear to be a major factor in why we haven’t been able to do that either. Stupid people shouldn’t be responsible for weighty matters.

Any test for voters is just a poll tax, which were eliminated in the 24th Amendment.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

maybe an IQ test for the candidates would be the real answer.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
58 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Any test for voters is just a poll tax, which were eliminated in the 24th Amendment.

How do you equate a competency test with a poll tax? We do both, a test and tax for the right to drive a motor vehicle.

Are you telling me you don’t see any validity in trying to weed out raving lunatics and morons and people that have no clue what they could be asked to vote on?

1 hour ago, commando said:

maybe an IQ test for the candidates would be the real answer.   

And it should be a more stringent requirement than the one allowing a person to vote. Of course if we eliminated the idiot voters, that would go a long way towards correcting electing idiots.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The idea that participation is the cornerstone of democracy is hammered into us, but honestly, when people admit they really haven't been following the issues -- and many don't know more than a memes worth -- I think it's almost more responsible not to vote. 

So much this...more people know the ins and outs of the kardashians than understand most of the issues.   Collectively, we are becoming a dumber and dumber society.

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

How do you equate a competency test with a poll tax? We do both, a test and tax for the right to drive a motor vehicle.

Are you telling me you don’t see any validity in trying to weed out raving lunatics and morons and people that have no clue what they could be asked to vote on?

I'm pretty sure restrictions on voting are forbidden as a poll tax in the 24th Amendment, but I could be mistaken.

And while I think there could be some value to weeding out voters, it is far too easily abused as compared to simply letting everyone vote.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The argument is that there is no such thing as a constitutional right to drive a motor vehicle.

It's a fairly stupid argument, but it's what the notion of qualifying people to vote runs up against.

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm pretty sure restrictions on voting are forbidden as a poll tax in the 24th Amendment, but I could be mistaken.

And while I think there could be some value to weeding out voters, it is far too easily abused as compared to simply letting everyone vote.

13 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

The argument is that there is no such thing as a constitutional right to drive a motor vehicle.

It's a fairly stupid argument, but it's what the notion of qualifying people to vote runs up against.

I understand the slippery slope and the historically venerated status of voting being a right. I just happen to be in favor of trying something that might actually improve our country and government and limit the stupidity that seems to be increasing and has too much influence currently. The current system is only giving us bad candidates and bad policy in too many locations. Might be time to start thinking outside the box before our whole Constitution is relegated to the trash heap of history.